An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='MarieClaire' timestamp='1326552205' post='2368839']
Hello :)
I´m new here, but I´m reading the vocation station since months....
finally, I made an account, so I can post, too :)
I´m discerning religious life since I´m 14 years old, and that is a long time ago ;)
So, I hope, I can learn much about religious life and so on here on phatmass!! :)
[/quote]

Welcome MarieClaire!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MarieClaire' timestamp='1326552205' post='2368839']
Hello :)
I´m new here, but I´m reading the vocation station since months....
finally, I made an account, so I can post, too :)
I´m discerning religious life since I´m 14 years old, and that is a long time ago ;)
So, I hope, I can learn much about religious life and so on here on phatmass!! :)
[/quote]

Hello. :wave:

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1326405283' post='2367880']
I just want to share a funny story that happened today. I was going to Church with my grandmother to help her practice with the children's choir. When we were walking in, we were talking about how we have hardly any Sisters, just three of them living in the convent and two working in the school. I said "Well Sr. Jessica needs to get her teaching certificate". And as soon as I said that, Sr. Jessica came walking out of the school. I was like "Oh and speaking of Sr. Jessica! We were just talking about you!" We all laughed. But in all seriousness, I meant what I said. I've come to realize that she should have gone away to college before entering the convent. I used to think she did the smart thing by not going to college but now I see she should have done it. She can't even teach the kids. She has to be an aide. I'm glad I'm having the experience and I wish she could've had the experience I'm having.
[/quote]
Is the order not sending her to college to et her degree? Is she still in formation? What happened with the aspirant in your parish = is she entering the community?
Education is an important aspect of any order to ascertain before you enter if you have aspirations of a "professional" vocation. Many communities send sisters on to Masters Programs.

Oh no this almost got lost again!
I have been thinking quite a bit about college versus entering. I'm already in college and about 2/3rds of the way through my degree and I am not incurring any more student debt. Thus for me it would be more of a question do I finish my degree then enter or enter then sometime later finish my degree. The conclusion that I have come to is that is something that I would have to discuss with the community. They know what the community needs, and would know more about my situation. So until then I'll just keep plowing ahead with my classes and see where it takes me.
Just my 2 cents though.

Guest hermanita

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1326990310' post='2371468']
Oh no this almost got lost again!
I have been thinking quite a bit about college versus entering. I'm already in college and about 2/3rds of the way through my degree and I am not incurring any more student debt. Thus for me it would be more of a question do I finish my degree then enter or enter then sometime later finish my degree. The conclusion that I have come to is that is something that I would have to discuss with the community. They know what the community needs, and would know more about my situation. So until then I'll just keep plowing ahead with my classes and see where it takes me.
Just my 2 cents though.
[/quote] Makes sense to me.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1326990310' post='2371468']
[b] that is something that I would have to discuss with the community. They know what the community needs, and would know more about my situation. So until then I'll just keep plowing ahead with my classes and see where it takes me.[/b]
[/quote]

Very smart. Keep us updated!

I'm going to post about this in the Prayer Room as well but wanted to make sure I requested extra-strong and mighty prayers from my fellow aspiring nuns & fathers/brothers. It's now less than a month until my scheduled entrance date and there is no sign of a visa. Nothing. Not even an interview. I am starting to panic, Mother Abbess is travelling so unable to email, and basically all I can do is sit and wait. Help please! Every prayer counts. Part of me thinks, I've waited this long, what's another month or two, but realistically I know I can't wait much longer.

:flex: Please storm heaven for me.

xx marigold

Guest hermanita

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327009464' post='2371596'] I'm going to post about this in the Prayer Room as well but wanted to make sure I requested extra-strong and mighty prayers from my fellow aspiring nuns & fathers/brothers. It's now less than a month until my scheduled entrance date and there is no sign of a visa. Nothing. Not even an interview. I am starting to panic, Mother Abbess is travelling so unable to email, and basically all I can do is sit and wait. Help please! Every prayer counts. Part of me thinks, I've waited this long, what's another month or two, but realistically I know I can't wait much longer. :flex: Please storm heaven for me. xx marigold [/quote]

Praying for you dear sister.

Edited by hermanita

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1327009464' post='2371596']
I'm going to post about this in the Prayer Room as well but wanted to make sure I requested extra-strong and mighty prayers from my fellow aspiring nuns & fathers/brothers. It's now less than a month until my scheduled entrance date and there is no sign of a visa. Nothing. Not even an interview. I am starting to panic, Mother Abbess is travelling so unable to email, and basically all I can do is sit and wait. Help please! Every prayer counts. Part of me thinks, I've waited this long, what's another month or two, but realistically I know I can't wait much longer.

:flex: Please storm heaven for me.

xx marigold
[/quote]

You've got my prayers!!!!