An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1298562128' post='2215233']
+JMJ

Random... I was on the CMSWR site looking at the [url="http://www.cmswr.org/slideshowmembercommunities/membercommunitypictures.html"]member communities[/url], when I came across the photo for the Marian Sisters of the Diocese of Lincoln... The sister on the right is now Sr. John Paul of the Merciful Love! She is one of the Rockford Poor Clares now(and has been there a few years now)!
[/quote]

A call within a call.

FutureSister2009

I guess this is a good place to share my story. There is an Order that I had not heard of until we received two new Sisters at my Church from the Order last year. They are from the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary Immaculate. I've developed this amazing relationship with both of them. I never felt an attraction to an Order before but I'm really fascinated by them. For a while, I was on a 50/50 scale about Religious Life but after what happened last night, my scale has definitely gone up.

I attended a Retreat with the Sisters last night. I was so anxious for it and I had the best time ever. First we had Mass. I really felt a spiritual awakening during Communion. I can't describe what occured but I started crying. I think God was trying to tell me something. After Mass we had dinner. Then the Sisters told their stories of how they got their Calling. I really was inspired. I'm still praying about it though and if anything happens, it won't be until after I finish college. But I think it's definitely something I am extremely sure I want to do. :nunpray:

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1298682163' post='2215689']
I guess this is a good place to share my story. There is an Order that I had not heard of until we received two new Sisters at my Church from the Order last year. They are from the Franciscan Sisters Missionaries of the Heart of Jesus and of Mary Immaculate. I've developed this amazing relationship with both of them. I never felt an attraction to an Order before but I'm really fascinated by them. For a while, I was on a 50/50 scale about Religious Life but after what happened last night, my scale has definitely gone up.

I attended a Retreat with the Sisters last night. I was so anxious for it and I had the best time ever. First we had Mass. I really felt a spiritual awakening during Communion. I can't describe what occured but I started crying. I think God was trying to tell me something. After Mass we had dinner. Then the Sisters told their stories of how they got their Calling. I really was inspired. I'm still praying about it though and if anything happens, it won't be until after I finish college. But I think it's definitely something I am extremely sure I want to do. :nunpray:

[/quote]

How wonderful!!! Keep us updated, and welcome to the phamily :) I've never heard of this order, you should definitely post some information about them sometime! We all lovvveee learning about new sisters!

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1298682163' post='2215689']

[/quote]

How wonderful! May I offer a bit of advice, though? If you discern a calling, it's best not to put limits on the Holy Spirit. If God calls you now, it's good to respond now. Maybe it is not His will that you finish college before entering. Just a thought...

Do you have a spiritual director? If not, it would be a great idea to get one so you can better discern your vocation. Also, time in front of the Blessed Sacrament in prayer is invaluable. It worked wonders for me, though I discovered my calling was not to religious life (at least not in the normal sense). I am still discerning Consecrated Virginity, marriage, and the lay Dominican order. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1298526082' post='2215162']
Have you applied to the Franciscans CFR? :)
[/quote]
I'm sending off my come-and-see application today... :blush: if I can find it...

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1275317053' post='2121157']
I thought this was an amazing article. It has pictures too.
[i]Anita Paul, a Nashua native, would go on become one of the first women ever to fly for the United States military, a feat that has, until recently, gone largely unheralded.[/i]

[i]She would later become a Carmelite nun, carrying out the rest of her days in a life of prayer and service.[/i]

[url="http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/753312-196/nashua-native-part-of-military-history.html#"]http://www.nashuatel...y-history.html#[/url]
[/quote]

I have the pic that is your profile pic. It was given to me by the Carmelite Sisters. It is my very pic.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1298417964' post='2214728']
What does that mean? When do you enter? But .. but .. I don't want you to go. :cry2:
[/quote]

totally amesome

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1298491693' post='2215004']
:love:

I just received a letter back from Mother at the Buffalo Carmel...she confirmed that I could come back for another visit! Although it probably won't be until the Fall, I'm so excited, and seeing her letter really lifted my soul in all of this dreary weather. :)

Plus, she sent a beautiful prayer card of St. Edith Stein (Teresa Benedicta).
[/quote]

yea!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

My random for the day:

[url="http://www.slw.org/sisters/lisa_polega.htm"]She[/url] graduated from the same college as I. I think we are polar opposites. :blink:

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1298855369' post='2216298']
+JMJ

My random for the day:

[url="http://www.slw.org/sisters/lisa_polega.htm"]She[/url] graduated from the same college as I. I think we are polar opposites. :blink:
[/quote]

It's so weird when Sisters talk about environmental justice, ecology, or sustainability which have nothing to do with serving the Church. I always find it somewhat strange when they talk more about that then serving God's people. Sure, the earth is God's creation, but it shouldn't encompass their entire ministry. Just a thought...

FutureSister2009

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1298689792' post='2215714']
How wonderful! May I offer a bit of advice, though? If you discern a calling, it's best not to put limits on the Holy Spirit. If God calls you now, it's good to respond now. Maybe it is not His will that you finish college before entering. Just a thought...

Do you have a spiritual director? If not, it would be a great idea to get one so you can better discern your vocation. Also, time in front of the Blessed Sacrament in prayer is invaluable. It worked wonders for me, though I discovered my calling was not to religious life (at least not in the normal sense). I am still discerning Consecrated Virginity, marriage, and the lay Dominican order. :)
[/quote]

I appreciate the advice however, I'm not even 100% certain if it really is my calling. And besides, they do a lot of teaching and I would like to get a degree in education first so I'll at least be able to teach. I'm working on getting a Spiritual Director and the Sisters are helping me out as well. I always do my time in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1298861979' post='2216327']
It's so weird when Sisters talk about environmental justice, ecology, or sustainability which have nothing to do with serving the Church.
[/quote]

I don't think that's really true. I don't think political agendas belong in religious life; nevertheless, working for environmental justice and sustainability is an apostolate that serves the Church and her people. It is the poorest who are most impacted by pollution, for example. And when efforts are made to serve the people of an underdeveloped country, it is important that they be sustainable; otherwise the poor will remain dependent on outsiders for help, instead of being strengthened themselves.

I am not interested in this apostolate and it gives me concern because I have often seen it linked to a political ideology; nevertheless I cannot take past experience as always and forever true, nor can I impose my tastes as the "correct" ones

franciscanheart

I listened to some CFR interviews last night and I can only think they were put into my life at that exact moment by God. :nun2: Mailing my application... NOW.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1298932937' post='2216589']
I listened to some CFR interviews last night and I can only think they were put into my life at that exact moment by God. :nun2: Mailing my application... NOW.
[/quote]

Yay! :dance::nunpray:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1298861979' post='2216327']
It's so weird when Sisters talk about environmental justice, ecology, or sustainability which have nothing to do with serving the Church. I always find it somewhat strange when they talk more about that then serving God's people. Sure, the earth is God's creation, but it shouldn't encompass their entire ministry. Just a thought...
[/quote]

I TOTALLY agree and have posted on this topic before. I am politically conservative (big Tea Party supporter) and I am uncomfortable with communities that seem to stress the social justice eco- green agenda. If people like that - fine - just not for me.

Kat

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

:swoon:

Just got a call from Mother Abbess... She suggested Palm Sunday for my entrance... :heart: This is the 800th year since St. Clare left her home and took the holy habit. :nunpray: