An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1308433130' post='2255709']
Heard back from Sr Mary John at Lafayette's Carmel. She told me to email as I have questions and get an SD.

Did buy the Shorter Catholic Prayer book today. First steps in learning the LotH!
[/quote]

Got it! Litury of the hours. LOL

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='DarleneSteinemann' timestamp='1308433524' post='2255711']
Oh I thought they were cloistered. What order are you entering? You do not think you are there number 1 choice??? Did you SD give you any inclination about that? Were the assignments helpful in making a decision about accepting a job?
[/quote]

Haha, no- not cloistered. It's the [url="http://www.ssvmusa.org"]SSVM's[/url].

I still have debt to pay off, so I wouldn't be entering yet. But the sisters did say that if I found a job out near them, I could live with them and continue to work so as to pay off my debt. So I've applied and interviewed but it's looking like that particular job might not pan out. Mostly because I was honest with them about my timeline of working the job... probably two years at the most. They're probably not interested in such a short investment is my guess. We'll see though.

My conversation with my s/d had more to do with discerning whether or not to keep my current job and continue living at home- working through all of pros and cons and stuff. And he also wanted me to ask a few questions of the sisters.

FutureSister2009

One thing that has made me excited about going to this school in the fall is that there is a possibility of teaching CCD at a nearby church which could become my new temporary Parish. And there is an RCIA program through the college. If they have a full class, I hope I can help with it! I want to help plan Liturgies and Retreats and anything I can get my hands on! I've contacted the Campus Ministry directore about it and I hope I hear back from him soon. I just want to keep myself busy so I can get through the year faster.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1308590975' post='2256350']
One thing that has made me excited about going to this school in the fall is that there is a possibility of teaching CCD at a nearby church which could become my new temporary Parish. And there is an RCIA program through the college. If they have a full class, I hope I can help with it! I want to help plan Liturgies and Retreats and anything I can get my hands on! I've contacted the Campus Ministry directore about it and I hope I hear back from him soon. I just want to keep myself busy so I can get through the year faster.
[/quote]

:like:

good things, FutureSister. Not only does keeping busy make time seem to fly by, you deepen your spiritual life and influence others!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1308600194' post='2256410']

good things, FutureSister. Not only does keeping busy make time seem to fly by, you deepen your spiritual life and influence others!
[/quote]

Those are my goals for now and for when I enter into Religious Life! :like: Also I told my Sister friend this morning about my Retreat with the SSVMs and she knows the community! She actually knows someone who entered with them! :dance:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1308600194' post='2256410']

[/quote]

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1308666477' post='2256779']
Those are my goals for now and for when I enter into Religious Life! :like:
[/quote]

I don't mean to say that keeping busy in your current situation is a bad thing, FutureSister, but the main way to deepen your spiritual life and influence others is through prayer :nunpray: And really, prayer - a deepened communion with God - is the whole point of being a religious, whether active or contemplative, isn't it? Maybe you already realize this and I've just read this wrong, but I wanted to make sure you knew.

Sometimes, however, it does seems the pendulum in our lives swings more towards action than obvious times of quiet, still prayer. Even so, we should always be praying, as the Scriptures say. Being busy, even with "spiritual things," can sometimes hide us from recognizing God's presence... or at least, that has been something I've experienced.

Edited to say: this isn't a critique of what you're doing, just a reminder to be rooted in prayer!

Edited by Chamomile

FutureSister2009

[quote name='Chamomile' timestamp='1308671581' post='2256815']
I don't mean to say that keeping busy in your current situation is a bad thing, FutureSister, but the main way to deepen your spiritual life and influence others is through prayer :nunpray: And really, prayer - a deepened communion with God - is the whole point of being a religious, whether active or contemplative, isn't it? Maybe you already realize this and I've just read this wrong, but I wanted to make sure you knew.

Sometimes, however, it does seems the pendulum in our lives swings more towards action than obvious times of quiet, still prayer. Even so, we should always be praying, as the Scriptures say. Being busy, even with "spiritual things," can sometimes hide us from recognizing God's presence... or at least, that has been something I've experienced.

Edited to say: this isn't a critique of what you're doing, just a reminder to be rooted in prayer!
[/quote]

What I mean is my goals are to constantly deepen my Spiritual Life until the day God calls me Home, especially after my entrance into Religious Life and to be an influence on others by my example of prayer and kindness and service to the Church. I hope to inspire and attract young people to Religious Life (without force) and that is how I want to influence them.

TeresaBenedicta

They're flying me out for a second interview!! :clapping:

I won't go into the conversations I've been having, but overall, it's extremely positive and there's quite the chance that I'll be offered the position.

I have a lot to think about between now and then, and a lot to do... not the least of which is talking to my current employer and that's not really something I'm looking forward to, to say the least.

Also need to put a new engine in my car. Completely clean out my room (which was never really done since I got home from college). Begin the packing process- which is complicated, considering I'm moving... but living with the sisters, and eventually just transitioning into the order once I completely pay off my loans. So I need to take less than I normally would just living in an apartment, but enough to have a good wardrobe for work.

Everything's on such a quick timeline. But, God is good!!

faithcecelia

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1308859628' post='2257778']

I won't go into the conversations I've been having, but overall, it's extremely positive and there's quite the chance that I'll be offered the position.

I have a lot to think about between now and then, and a lot to do... not the least of which is talking to my current employer and that's not really something I'm looking forward to, to say the least.

Also need to put a new engine in my car. Completely clean out my room (which was never really done since I got home from college). Begin the packing process- which is complicated, considering I'm moving... but living with the sisters, and eventually just transitioning into the order once I completely pay off my loans. So I need to take less than I normally would just living in an apartment, but enough to have a good wardrobe for work.

[/quote]

This is such great news! i will keep the prayers going :nunpray:

[/quote]

when would the position start/you could begin living with the sisters? Did you get a chance to talk to Mother to answer your questions?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1308860173' post='2257781']
when would the position start/you could begin living with the sisters? Did you get a chance to talk to Mother to answer your questions?
[/quote]

Well, the position will likely begin sometime between the beginning and middle of August. And, according to Mother, I could officially move in come September (they'll be gone until then). Of course, that leaves a slight gap. But she said not to worry and that I could stay at the convent in DC until they're back... which just means a slightly longer drive for the first few weeks. :)

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1308687066' post='2256923']
I hope to inspire and attract young people to Religious Life [b](without force)[/b] and that is how I want to influence them.
[/quote]

Well I'm glad you aren't planning on bashing them over the head and dragging them off to the convent!

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

MargaretTeresa

So.... I've started on my plans.... After graduation, trying to find a job in either journalism or PR, move to there. Pay off loans. Visit communities, etc. Decide community. Get accepted. Wrap up loose ends. Enter.

MargaretTeresa

So.... I've started on my plans.... After graduation, trying to find a job in either journalism or PR, move to there. Pay off loans. Visit communities, etc. Decide community. Get accepted. Wrap up loose ends. Enter.

To Jesus Through Mary

[/quote]

THAT IS AMAZING!! That looks soo positive! I will continue to pray for you! Maybe Futuresister and I will see you at the July retreat after all... ;)

Edited by To Jesus Through Mary