An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blaster Worm

rachael

has anybody besides me gotten that worm that's been going around the internet?

it's really annoying and no matter what i do, it doesnt go away grrr :angry:

I know someone else on this phorum who has it too.

Go here:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Get all the critical updates, and install them.

For those of you who haven't got this virus yet, don't. Go to that link and install all the updates. In the future, keep you computer healthy by checking for new updates on a consistent basis.

Peas.

cmotherofpirl

Which worm?

If its the McBlast go to google.com and type in PC-cillan. Its at the TRend Micro website . Run the free virus program and delete the worm. Then go type mcblast on your search feature on your computer and delete the McBlast.exe.

Its a nuisance virus. THe first edition of it said Billy Gates should fix his software problems.

I had a different problem. My whole system was infected, and everytime I tried to run Norton, the computer would turn off. WE had to copy all 200,000 files, disinfect them,and reformat all the computers. :(

Turns out we were being hacked by someone thru our Win32system, who was remotely copying our files. If your computer ever says your system is being remotely qued, and you should permit it, shut down immediately.

THis problem sailed right thru Norton, which never detected anything, because the hacker had compromised Norton. :angry:

If something seems wrong, and you can't find it, cross-scan with a free virus check from the web. You will be surprised what can get thru.

littleflower+JMJ

how are you suppose to know when you got it?

i've been updating window upgrades but i don't know if i'm okay or what....

help!! :unsure:

cmotherofpirl

Don't worry you will know. :o

McBlast will turn off you computer continously or make you reboot continously. :angry: :(

cmotherofpirl

Mcblast is an annoying virus.

Some of the other ones are down right nasty, like the one I just had. Everytime I tried to scan for a virus, it would turn the computer off.

Theologian in Training

XP is a pain. :angry:

windows 98 at least had most of the bugs worked out of it.

Xp is a pain? It is the only OS that I haven't had any problems with, including the inevitable Blue Screen of Death...95, yup, 98, yup, NT, yup, 2000, yup, Xp, nope.

I think it is prolly the most stable OS microsoft has made to date. The only problem I have ever seen is difficulties with certain games running, and that is usually related to older games not running under the NTFS format. Of course, you have to format NTFS if the HDD is larger than a certain size (can't recall the size at the moment). Apart from that, no problems. Oh wait, there was one, I worked on a friend's comp who has problems with his soundblaster card, and a conflict with the 16 bit sound emulation...luckily in that situation it was a new format, so we could reformat again and start from scratch...was the easiest thing to do, only when I installed the SB drivers I did not install the 16 bit sound emulation. Other than that, no real big problems.

What kind of bugs are you talking about Jmj and Cmother?

God Bless

Theologian in Training

Just did a little research on this worm. Not only does it wreak havoc upon your own computer, it is also set to launch a DoS upon the windowsupdate.com site. Wow, that is pretty clever. It says to lock certain ports at both the firewall and personal level. Apparently, its payload is set to launch on the 16th of August...that would be today. Start locking down those comps before yours becomes a zombie for a DDoS. BTW, stop by the first link...Trend Micro and run a free scan...in my opinion, the best site for AV protection

God Bless

Trend Micro

Cert Advisory

Symantec

nwfusion

cmotherofpirl

XP does not play well with 98 or 2000. Getting them to converse on a network is a pain.

THe viri out there seem to be attracted to it. My kids games don't work on it.

The drivers have been known to disappear for no apparant reason The registry is more confusing than the oldies. And it hides things better.