An Old School Catholic Message Board

Blaster Worm

rachael

Theologian in Training

:blink:  help anyone?

If you want to go wireless, your NIC (Network Interface Card) has to be able to support wireless technology (802.11) and you need a wireless router. With regard to PCI or USB, it all depends. As far I understand it, the USB is a NIC on the fly, usually good for Laptops and such. On the other hand, PCI, are usually what are found in desktops. However, my knowledge about wireless technology is sketchy at best being that I got out of the technology scene when I went into the seminary, so even though I still fix em, I don't keep up with the latest and newest thing.

God Bless

littleflower+JMJ

thanks theo, yeah i'm going to get the 4-port wireless router so hopefully i can put it up

but the only thing bugging me was the USB or the PCI

thanks theo for your help! your the best!!!!!!

B)

IcePrincessKRS

Dells are great... That's all we buy at the office... they give the best bang for the buck. High quality components and they're cheaper than building it yourself. We have a Network of about 70 PC's and we also have a wide area network of 4 offices... Dell all the way... rarely do we have problems.

There is software and hardware that can protect you.

If your on a cable modem or DSL, I suggest getting a Linksys 4 Cable Router for about $50, it acts as a hardware firewall...

Yep, thats what we've got. :) ...er, minus the 70 computers. We only run 3. ;)

And its a good thing, too. Matt works from home.

hey all you computer experts!!

(i should be ashamed since i don't know since i'm goign to get certified in Networking!)

whats the best one to get for my homenetwork if i decide to go wireless?

getting a PCI or a USB card hook-up thing? (geez, i don't even know what their called)

do you know what i mean? theirs like a $10 difference and i was wondering if theres actually a difference in performance or whathaveyou...

thanks!

:blink:

I suggest going with a wired linksys router... you'll save about $200.... you can have a wire up to 300 feet long.... the Linksys 4 port cable router is about $50-60.

Wireless is not secure at all... any kid with a laptop and coffee can can access the flow of your data.

God Bless!

ironmonk

Yep, thats what we've got. :) ...er, minus the 70 computers. We only run 3. ;)

And its a good thing, too. Matt works from home.

At work we use to have Gateway computers and they were the worst!!!! We just recently switched to Dell workstations and Dell servers and must say they do kick but. We are running a huge network of about 600 workstations and 9 servers using a WAN for multiple locations through out the nation and have heard very, very few complaints.

God Bless!

littleflower+JMJ

I suggest going with a wired linksys router... you'll save about $200.... you can have a wire up to 300 feet long.... the Linksys 4 port cable router is about $50-60.

Wireless is not secure at all... any kid with a laptop and coffee can can access the flow of your data.

God Bless!

ironmonk

but do i have to like mount them in the wall and stuff? see i have 4 pcs to make into a wireless network, so thats why i was going wireless....

yikes! but thats kinda scary about going wireless :blink::blink:

i do have some lit' squirts in my neighborhood that come to mind when you say that...

thanks ironmonk!

God BLess!

+JMJ

IcePrincessKRS

They are these little "boxes" about the size of one of those zippered CD cases, and I don't mean the big ones that hold 300 CDs. I mean the small ones that hold like 10-20. You can keep them right at the back of the desk. I can take a picture of ours if ya want to see what they look like/our set up. :)

littleflower+JMJ

i think that would help...

does your hubby run wireless for your three comps? or are you talking about wired?

anything would help....

thanks!!!

:D

littleflower+JMJ

sounds great thanks ice!

now get some sleep!!

and give a kiss to the munchkin for me will ya?

nitey-nite!

but do i have to like mount them in the wall and stuff? see i have 4 pcs to make into a wireless network, so thats why i was going wireless....

yikes! but thats kinda scary about going wireless

i do have some lit' squirts in my neighborhood that come to mind when you say that...

thanks ironmonk!

God BLess!

+JMJ

You don't have to mount anything. If all the PC's are in one room, just run the wire. Also, wired is about 5 times faster than wireless.

If you have the PC's in other rooms, then wireless would be slowed even more because of the walls.

If you want to run the wire behind the walls, it is really easy, punch a small hole, buy a wire running tape (long thin piece of metal), you attach the wire to one end, then 'fish' it through to the other end wherever you have the other hole. You can put one of the plastic face plates on the hole to make it look pretty.

Check this site out: http://www.linksys.com/edu/

Of course since they sell wireless, they are not going to tell you the downside of it.... I suggest wired. If you want to be able to easily move around the house with your computer, don't use credit cards online, and you don't mind slower speed, then go with wireless.

God Bless!

ironmonk

IcePrincessKRS

I'm with the Monk on this one, I'd go for cable over wireless.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup, as promised. :)

#1 Front view of my computer, you can see the Linksys and the modem thingy behind it.

normal_100_0323.JPG

#2 The Linksys

normal_100_0321.JPG

#3 The modem thingy--ignore the black cord to the left of it, thats the USB cable for my digital camera, I forgot to move it out of the way when I took the picture.

normal_100_0322.JPG

littleflower+JMJ

thanks ice to take time to take pics!

linksys was what i was planning on going on in fact...

i thnk all this is going to help me most definitly...

+JMJ

:D