An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Quotes!

aalpha1989

You don't have to be a Carmelite to post here... just post your favorite quotes!

[sub]I guess if you're really nice you could post quotes from other orders, too... but only if Carmelites have "Pride of Place" :saint:[/sub]

I'll start from a couple classics from Holy Mother St. Teresa:

"Remember that you have only one soul; that you have only one death to die; that you have only one life... If you do this, there will be many things about which you care nothing."

"Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All thing pass; God never changes. Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing: God alone suffices."

Edited by aalpha1989

When I was trying not to like her St Teresa really got to me through humor so I like the following " Lord if this is how you treat your friends no wonder you have so few!"

[quote name='vee8' date='11 June 2010 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1276284685' post='2127382']
When I was trying not to like her St Teresa really got to me through humor so I like the following " Lord if this is how you treat your friends no wonder you have so few!"
[/quote]

:lol_roll: She's so great... I fell more deeply in love with her as I've been reading her autobiography. The following shouldn't be funny, but I thought it was just because of how brutal she is...

[size="2"]"It was with these walls, she said, and with those of humility, that (St. Clare) wished to surround her convents; and assuredly, if the rule of poverty is truly kept, both chastity and all the other virtues are fortified much better than by the most sumptuous edifices. Have a care to this, for the love of God; and this I beg of you by His blood. If I may say what my conscience bids me, I should wish that, on the day when you build such edifices, they may fall down [i]and kill you all[/i].[/size]"

laetitia crucis

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 03:34 PM' timestamp='1276284868' post='2127384']
:lol_roll: She's so great... I fell more deeply in love with her as I've been reading her autobiography. The following shouldn't be funny, but I thought it was just because of how brutal she is...

[size="2"]"It was with these walls, she said, and with those of humility, that (St. Clare) wished to surround her convents; and assuredly, if the rule of poverty is truly kept, both chastity and all the other virtues are fortified much better than by the most sumptuous edifices. Have a care to this, for the love of God; and this I beg of you by His blood. [b]If I may say what my conscience bids me, I should wish that, on the day when you build such edifices, they may fall down [i]and kill you all[/i].[/b][/size]"
[/quote]

:lol: That is AWESOME!

I'll have to sort through my quotes from the "Sayings of Light and Love"... I love ALL of them!

Edited by laetitia crucis

laetitia crucis

All from St. John of the Cross' [i]Sayings of Light and Love[/i]

15. Deny your desires and you will find what your heart longs for. For how do you know if any desire of yours is according to God?

20. God is more pleased by one work, however small, done secretly, without desire that it be known, than a thousand done with the desire that people know of them. Those who work for God with purest love not only care nothing about whether others see their works, but do not even seek that God himself know of them. Such persons would not cease to render God the same services, with the same joy and purity of love, even if God were never to know of these.

35. One human thought alone is worth more than the entire world, hence God alone is worthy of it.

37. Reflect that your guardian angel does not always move your desire for an action, but he does always enlighten your reason. Hence, in order to practice virtue do not wait until you feel like it, for your reason and intellect are sufficient.

...more to come!

laetitia crucis

[i]Sayings of Light and Love[/i]

46. If you make use of your reason, you are like one who eats substantial food; but if you are moved by the satisfaction of your will, you are like one who eats insipid fruit.

54. Souls will be unable to reach perfection who do not strive to be content with having nothing, in such fashion that their natural and spiritual desire is satisfied with emptiness; for this is necessary in order to reach the highest tranquility and peace of spirit. Hence the love of God in the pure and simple soul is almost continually in act.

86. Have an intimate desire that His Majesty grant you what he knows you lack for his honor.

100. The Father spoke one Word, which was his Son, and this Word he speaks always in eternal silence, and in silence must it be heard by the soul.

103. To be taken with love for a soul, God does not look on its greatness, but on the greatness of its humility.

114. Perfection does not lie in the virtues that the soul knows it has, but in the virtues that our Lord sees in it. This is a closed book; hence one has no reason for presumption, but must remain prostrate on the ground with respect to self.

laetitia crucis

And the last batch from [i]Sayings of Light and Love[/i]

116. The entire world is not worthy of a human being's thought, for this belongs to God alone; any thought, therefore, not centered on God is stolen from him.

127. The purest suffering produces the purest understanding.

^_^

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1276284868' post='2127384']

[size="2"]"It was with these walls, she said, and with those of humility, that (St. Clare) wished to surround her convents; and assuredly, if the rule of poverty is truly kept, both chastity and all the other virtues are fortified much better than by the most sumptuous edifices. Have a care to this, for the love of God; and this I beg of you by His blood. If I may say what my conscience bids me, I should wish that, on the day when you build such edifices, they may fall down [i]and kill you all[/i].[/size]"
[/quote]

:hehe: I love it!

And all of the John of the Cross ones :love: if I wasn't on my iPod I'd +1 you LC

Edited by vee8

OnlySunshine

The Carmelite saint that struck me the most throughout my own discernment was St Therese. Although I know for certain that I am not called to the life of Carmel, I feel she is a role model nonetheless. Her best quote would be:

"At last! I have found my vocation! In the heart of the Church--my Mother--I will be love! And all my dreams shall be realized!"

Laetitia, all of those are amazing. I especially love the ones about human thoughts! Thank you!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='11 June 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1276286773' post='2127411']
:hehe: I love it!

And all of the John of the Cross ones :love: if I wasn't on my iPod I'd +1 you LC
[/quote]

Awww, thanks vee8! :blush: I'm glad you liked them!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 04:52 PM' timestamp='1276289538' post='2127440']
Laetitia, all of those are amazing. I especially love the ones about human thoughts! Thank you!
[/quote]

You're welcome! The ones about human thoughts are my absolute favorite of the bunch!

TeresaBenedicta

"If anyone comes to me, I want to lead them to Him." -St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross

To me, this is one of the most moving passages from [i]Story of a Soul[/i]. It is such a great meditation before Communion! St. Therese was the original reason I fell in love with Carmel.

"At last there dawned the most beautiful day of all the days of my
life. How perfectly I remember even the smallest details of those
sacred hours! the joyful awakening, the reverent and tender
embraces of my mistresses and older companions, the room filled
with snow-white frocks, where each child was dressed in turn, and,
above all, our entrance into the chapel and the melody of the
morning hymn: "O Altar of God, where the Angels are hovering."

But I would not and I could not tell you all. Some things lose
their fragrance when exposed to the air, and so, too, one's inmost
thoughts cannot be translated into earthly words without instantly
losing their deep and heavenly meaning. How sweet was the first
embrace of Jesus! It was indeed an embrace of love. I felt that I
was loved, and I said: "I love Thee, and I give myself to Thee for
ever." Jesus asked nothing of me, and claimed no sacrifice; for a
long time He and little Therese had known and understood one
another. That day our meeting was more than simple recognition, it
was perfect union. We were no longer two. Therese had disappeared
like a drop of water lost in the immensity of the ocean; Jesus
alone remained--He was the Master, the King! Had not Therese asked
Him to take away her liberty which frightened her? She felt
herself so weak and frail, that she wished to be for ever united
to the Divine Strength.

And then my joy became so intense, so deep, that it could not be
restrained; tears of happiness welled up and overflowed. My
companions were astonished, and asked each other afterwards: "Why
did she cry? Had she anything on her conscience? No, it is because
neither her Mother nor her dearly loved Carmelite sister is here."
And no one understood that all the joy of Heaven had come down
into one heart, and that this heart, exiled, weak, and mortal as
it was, could not contain it without tears."

I'd have to say one of my favorites from St. Teresa is the one in my sig.

"So sweet is His voice, that the poor soul is disconsolate at being unable to follow His biddings at once, and therefore, as I said before, suffers more than if it could not hear Him."

It's from the [i]Interior Castle[/i], the 2nd Mansion. Good book. I highly reccomend it.