An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Quotes!

aalpha1989

So I [i]think[/i] this is John of the Cross but I don't remember... it was saved on my computer and a google search didn't find it.

"A cross which comes from God ought to be welcomed withoutany concern for self. And when you accept your cross this way, eventhough it is painful, you will find that you can bear it in peace. Butwhen you recieve your cross unwillingly, you will find it to be doublysevere. The resistance within is harder to bear than the cross itself!But if you recognize the hand of God, and make no opposition to Hiswill, you will have peace in the midst of affliction. Happy indeed arethey who can bear their sufferings with this simple peace and perfectsubmission to the will of God! Nothing so shortens and soothessuffering as this spirit of non-resistance."

laetitia crucis

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1276303026' post='2127559']
So I [i]think[/i] this is John of the Cross but I don't remember... it was saved on my computer and a google search didn't find it.

"A cross which comes from God ought to be welcomed withoutany concern for self. And when you accept your cross this way, eventhough it is painful, you will find that you can bear it in peace. Butwhen you recieve your cross unwillingly, you will find it to be doublysevere. The resistance within is harder to bear than the cross itself!But if you recognize the hand of God, and make no opposition to Hiswill, you will have peace in the midst of affliction. Happy indeed arethey who can bear their sufferings with this simple peace and perfectsubmission to the will of God! Nothing so shortens and soothessuffering as this spirit of non-resistance."
[/quote]

I would think John of the Cross...

Or perhaps St. Louis de Montfort in his "Letter to the Friends of the Cross". :idontknow:

The wording sounds like John of the Cross to me, though. :think:

From the Way of Perfection "I do not know why it surprises us to hear people say: "So-and-so has made me a poor return for something." "Someone else does not like me." I laugh to myself when I hear that. What other sort of return do you expect him to make you? [b]And why do you expect anyone to like you? [/b]"
That amuses me.

Edited by vee8

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='11 June 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1276303026' post='2127559']

[/quote]

Actually now that I think about it I'm almost positive it's from [i]Imitation of Christ[/i]. Oh, well, I guess that's a good book, too. :mellow:

@vee8

lol I love St. Teresa!

Edited by aalpha1989

Rising_Suns

"If I used to consider my vocation as above all others, now I appreciate it doubly; because I have seen and experienced for myself that the holiness of a [religious] is greater than any other holy ideal. [...] Sometimes, it seems to me that I am dreaming... I still can't convince myself that such incomparable happiness is mine. People who do not have a vocation cannot understand this, since to them there's no happiness in sacrifice; while sacrifice, done for God is the purest bliss."

-Saint Teresa of the Andes

Edited by Rising_Suns

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Rising_Suns' date='14 June 2010 - 03:13 PM' timestamp='1276542787' post='2128653']
"If I used to consider my vocation as above all others, now I appreciate it doubly; because I have seen and experienced for myself that the holiness of a [religious] is greater than any other holy ideal. [...] Sometimes, it seems to me that I am dreaming... I still can't convince myself that such incomparable happiness is mine. People who do not have a vocation cannot understand this, since to them there's no happiness in sacrifice; while sacrifice, done for God is the purest bliss."

-Saint Teresa of the Andes
[/quote]

Beautiful :love: