An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Would A Brain Transplant Work?

Ziggamafu

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 08:43 PM' timestamp='1276389837' post='2127873']
However, should either Winchester or Socrates find themselves in my body, they would have the consolation that the nearest Catholic church is only 3 blocks away. Just make sure to feed my cats and give them (my cats) 10 mg of prednisone each every evening. You will have to give the cats the pills by hand. They've never bitten me, but there is always a first time. Enjoy! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]
[/quote]
I'll be sure to remember that, just in case.

Because it's always best to be prepared. You never know.

[quote name='Socrates' date='14 June 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1276536187' post='2128585']
I'll be sure to remember that, just in case.

Because it's always best to be prepared. You never know.
[/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgM7DFbeBQY&feature=related[/media]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Ziggamafu' date='14 June 2010 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1276432026' post='2128043']
I wonder if, in receiving another person's brain, you would also receive their memories and lose your own? You would still have the same spirit, but subjectively, you would think you were the other person.
[/quote]

Seems to be more applicable to consciousness. Memories are stored in the brain and presumably the soul would also haunt that area. It should be looked at more in the light of a body transplant than a brain transplant. ref 'The man with two heads'

Edited by Mark of the Cross

• 8 years later...

Another fun one. Just revisiting some of my old posts and haunts. Are there any philosophers in here anymore? I may be nearly a decade older, but I still dig explorations of fringe theology for fun.

On 6/13/2010 at 4:14 AM, Nihil Obstat said:

1) "Self" is somehow attached to the brain, so the self transfers to the new body.
2) "Self" is somehow attached to the body, so the self does not move (although may or may not have a new set of experiences and/or due to a new physical brain).
3) "Self" is attached to a combination of brain and body, so two people die and two new ones are created.
4) "Self" is attached to a combination of brain and body, so two people die and we are left with a pile of dead tissue.

@Nihil Obstat  - I miss him!

#3 does not seem possible. #4 seems like an "unsuccessful" brain transplant. #1 and #2 remain. 

On 1/21/2019 at 9:51 PM, Jack4 said:

@Nihil Obstat  - I miss him!

#3 does not seem possible. #4 seems like an "unsuccessful" brain transplant. #1 and #2 remain. 

Hi, Jack. I signed in on a whim this evening and happened to see this notification. Funny coincidence.

I am touched. :) Since I stopped posting I have completed my philosophy degree, started to get pretty deeply into photography, and have been listening very intently to Fr. Ripperger's sermons and conferences.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a really nice development. Yvey is a very easy baby to deal with, so I think we are parenting on easy mode thus far. She sleeps soundly, does not really cry for no reason, very pleasant and happy baby.

DSC_5267-01.jpeg

Edited by Nihil Obstat

21 hours ago, Nihil Obstat said:

It has been a really nice development. Yvey is a very easy baby to deal with, so I think we are parenting on easy mode thus far. She sleeps soundly, does not really cry for no reason, very pleasant and happy baby.

DSC_5267-01.jpeg

Cute baby. How do you pronounce that?

On 1/24/2019 at 9:07 PM, Nihil Obstat said:

Fr. Ripperger's sermons and conferences.

Just googled him. Curious, is he a creationist (in the sense that he denies evolution/ portrays it as demonic)?

I know you're a trad, and lots of trads (on pockets of the interwebs) seem to espouse this anti-science stance. At least on this topic. I wonder do you happen to fall into that camp? It's just genuine curiosity on my end. Maybe it's not a topic of particular interest to you.

1 hour ago, Ice_nine said:

Just googled him. Curious, is he a creationist (in the sense that he denies evolution/ portrays it as demonic)?

I know you're a trad, and lots of trads (on pockets of the interwebs) seem to espouse this anti-science stance. At least on this topic. I wonder do you happen to fall into that camp? It's just genuine curiosity on my end. Maybe it's not a topic of particular interest to you.

I am not sure where he is on young earth creationism. I know he is against evolution in some sense. From what I can tell his view on that is highly specific and nuanced.

My approach is, I like I think, taken from St. Thomas Aquinas when he wrote that science answers scientific questions, and we ought to be careful not to make unbelievers think we are stupid. I believe that is a bit of a paraphrase.

I do not lose sleep over it. God created in whatever way He chose, and left what evidence He did.