An Old School Catholic Message Board

"categories" Of Communities

krissylou

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='18 June 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1276916850' post='2131190']
After which I'll give the Dominicans a try. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

:woot:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='18 June 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1276916850' post='2131190']
Aw thanks *takes Kleenex* I'll need that for when I get kicked out of the Carmelites, or trip and epic fail out! After which I'll give the Dominicans a try. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

We will welcome you with open arms and a pile of books next to a Prie Dieu. ;)

(Although, it is my hope that if you are indeed called to Carmel, you will be there for all your earthly life! :saint: )

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='19 June 2010 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1276959227' post='2131416']
We will welcome you with open arms and a pile of books next to a Prie Dieu. ;)

[/quote]

:woot: :heaven: I love books and prie dieus!!

[quote](Although, it is my hope that if you are indeed called to Carmel, you will be there for all your earthly life! :saint: )[/quote]
aaaw :grouphug: ditto for you except with the Dominicans.. :)

IgnatiusofLoyola

Vee8--If you want to be a cloistered contemplative, I'm getting quite fond of the Summit Dominicans. If nothing else, you would always smell wonderful--their soaps are great. Since I got them, my bathroom smells great. I'm thinking of putting open bars in other rooms of my home. (They even have a rose-scented soap, so you could smell like St. Therese(?). (Forgive me, I've forgotten which saint smelled roses.)

But, they don't seem much called to crying. In all their pictures they are smiling--they seem like a happy and content group. And, while most of the Internet pictures show them doing things, when I read their horarium, they seem to spend as much time in prayer as the Carmelites, including Perpetual Adoration--each Sister has designated times every day (and a few nights a week), so there is always someone there with Jesus.

However, I have been told by others that once you hear the call of Carmel, it never leaves you. It may be too early to tell in your case (but then again maybe not). Forgive me for being a little concerned because you have made only one live-in visit to one community. Some Sisters join the first and only communitiy they visit, and they are very content. But, somehow, looking around a bit and visiting different communities. and maybe different Orders, seems like a good thing to make sure that a particular Carmel is the right place for you. (That's the researcher in me.)

Forgive me for the unsolicited advice. The good thing about the Internet is that I will never know if you take my advice or not, so you won't have to worrying about hurting my feelings if I am way off track. I trust your judgement, so it made me feel better to say it--but, simply saying it is enough. I feel no need for you to actually follow my advice. (Especially since I don't know you at all. LOL) As the T-shirt says, "Everyone is entitled to my opinion!"

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='19 June 2010 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1276971967' post='2131528']
Vee8--If you want to be a cloistered contemplative, I'm getting quite fond of the Summit Dominicans. If nothing else, you would always smell wonderful--their soaps are great. Since I got them, my bathroom smells great. I'm thinking of putting open bars in other rooms of my home. (They even have a rose-scented soap, so you could smell like St. Therese(?). (Forgive me, I've forgotten which saint smelled roses.)

But, they don't seem much called to crying. In all their pictures they are smiling--they seem like a happy and content group. And, while most of the Internet pictures show them doing things, when I read their horarium, they seem to spend as much time in prayer as the Carmelites, including Perpetual Adoration--each Sister has designated times every day (and a few nights a week), so there is always someone there with Jesus.

However, I have been told by others that once you hear the call of Carmel, it never leaves you. It may be too early to tell in your case (but then again maybe not). Forgive me for being a little concerned because you have made only one live-in visit to one community. Some Sisters join the first and only communitiy they visit, and they are very content. But, somehow, looking around a bit and visiting different communities. and maybe different Orders, seems like a good thing to make sure that a particular Carmel is the right place for you. (That's the researcher in me.)

Forgive me for the unsolicited advice. The good thing about the Internet is that I will never know if you take my advice or not, so you won't have to worrying about hurting my feelings if I am way off track. I trust your judgement, so it made me feel better to say it--but, simply saying it is enough. I feel no need for you to actually follow my advice. (Especially since I don't know you at all. LOL) As the T-shirt says, "Everyone is entitled to my opinion!"
[/quote]

The Summit Dominicans do seem wonderful and I've got them in the back of my mind as a possibility. Right now though the Carmelite charism and everything just seem to fit so I'll see what happens with them first. Ya it's Therese <_< who is commonly associated with roses. She said she would let fall from heaven a shower of roses and people often claim to get real roses or smell them after praying to her.

Oh what I did wasn't a live in where one stays within the enclosure for three months, I just stayed outside in the guesthouse. If they, and I, both agree then the three month live in is the next step. It would be nice to be able to visit a bunch of communities just to see however there aren't any around me, and very few orthodox ones in the whole country. My next option would be to immigrate somewhere. I don't mind that but I'd rather rule out all local options first. I'd be shocked if the first community I visited was "the one." Your advice is very reasonable and understandable though but all the places I'd like to vist are in the US and immigrating there, especially to a cloister is difficult, not impossible but next to. Plus the ones in the US strongly suggest I try the ones here first, so that's what i'm doing :)

Sister is right, though TradMom certainly gave more resources than the two "leadership" groups & went out of her way to say you can't judge a book by it's cover. I must mention that some groups do take a "corporate" stance on "hot button" issues which in fact reflect their spirit and/or ministry. I can think of some very well known Dominicans whom have been arrested in various states for political reasons/action (I.e., nuclear weapons). In those particular cases, I believe it is fair to label a community either liberal or conservative, as they have taken public action with the support of the council, leadership, etc. And just for the record, it's not always the "liberal" causes that get attention.

Edited by SNJM

• 3 weeks later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='18 June 2010 - 10:25 PM' timestamp='1276910706' post='2131152']
Hmmmm..... well, there's two hours of study time in one's cell, so if you are particularly moved by profound Truth, then I am sure you would be free to cry. ;) Also, after Adoration and Compline one retires to her cell... for study and sleep.

Need some extra Kleenex? :cry:

Teehee.
[/quote]
"In This House of Brede" is about a monastery of Benedictine nuns, but I could never forget their cry term:
"they call it 'having monsoon.'"

laetitia crucis

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='08 July 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1278624067' post='2139458']
"In This House of Brede" is about a monastery of Benedictine nuns, but I could never forget their cry term:
"they call it 'having monsoon.'"
[/quote]

Aaahahaha! :rolling:

I'll have to remember that phrase -- and use it! That's [i]good[/i].

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='vee8' date='19 June 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1276985683' post='2131586']
The Summit Dominicans do seem wonderful and I've got them in the back of my mind as a possibility. Right now though the Carmelite charism and everything just seem to fit so I'll see what happens with them first. Ya it's Therese <_< who is commonly associated with roses. She said she would let fall from heaven a shower of roses and people often claim to get real roses or smell them after praying to her.

Oh what I did wasn't a live in where one stays within the enclosure for three months, I just stayed outside in the guesthouse. If they, and I, both agree then the three month live in is the next step. It would be nice to be able to visit a bunch of communities just to see however there aren't any around me, and very few orthodox ones in the whole country. My next option would be to immigrate somewhere. I don't mind that but I'd rather rule out all local options first. I'd be shocked if the first community I visited was "the one." Your advice is very reasonable and understandable though but all the places I'd like to vist are in the US and immigrating there, especially to a cloister is difficult, not impossible but next to. Plus the ones in the US strongly suggest I try the ones here first, so that's what i'm doing :)
[/quote]

Laughing my dear friend... i long have known you have been bitten by the Carmelite bug! :P It takes time to take root. big hug!

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 July 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1278944846' post='2141599']
Laughing my dear friend... i long have known you have been bitten by the Carmelite bug! :P It takes time to take root. big hug!
[/quote]

(Off topic)

Yippie!!!! Wonderful to see you on the phorum :)

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' date='12 July 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1278944846' post='2141599']
Laughing my dear friend... i long have known you have been[b] bitten by the Carmelite bug![/b] :P It takes time to take root. big hug!
[/quote]

Ha, the part in bold explains a lot!
I dont know what God has planted in me I just pray that whatever it is He started I dont wreck by my own stupidity and sinfulness.

littlesister

To come from another direction on religious life categories, these are the ones commonly in use in an earlier time. They're not that much heard any more, but are useful for "sorting" purposes.

1. Contemplative - Norbertine Nuns, cloistered Passionists/Carmelites/Dominicans ...

2. Active Apostolic - teaching Franciscans, Bon Secours ... you get the idea!

3. Active/Contemplative - Little Sisters of the Poor, Good Shepherd, Capuchin Franciscans...

4. Societies of Apostolic Life - Maryknoll, Daughters of Charity, Daughters of Mary ...

None of these categories address traditionsl, progressive, lifestyle, habit or lack thereof, corporate or individual ministries. They just delineate the founding charism.

Hope this helps without confusing the issue.

God bless us one and all.

[quote name='littlesister' date='13 July 2010 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1279049516' post='2142135']
To come from another direction on religious life categories, these are the ones commonly in use in an earlier time. They're not that much heard any more, but are useful for "sorting" purposes.

1. Contemplative - Norbertine Nuns, cloistered Passionists/Carmelites/Dominicans ...

2. Active Apostolic - teaching Franciscans, Bon Secours ... you get the idea!

3. Active/Contemplative - Little Sisters of the Poor, Good Shepherd, Capuchin Franciscans...

4. Societies of Apostolic Life - Maryknoll, Daughters of Charity, Daughters of Mary ...

None of these categories address traditionsl, progressive, lifestyle, habit or lack thereof, corporate or individual ministries. They just delineate the founding charism.

Hope this helps without confusing the issue.

God bless us one and all.
[/quote]

Actually I am entirely clueless about the differences between 2, 3, and 4. (1 and the others, that difference I got.)

I have seen some communities described as "active" while others are "active/contemplative" -- but have no idea what that means ...

[quote name='krissylou' date='13 July 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1279054269' post='2142170']
Actually I am entirely clueless about the differences between 2, 3, and 4. (1 and the others, that difference I got.)

I have seen some communities described as "active" while others are "active/contemplative" -- but have no idea what that means ...
[/quote]

Usually communities who identify themselves as "active/contemplative" or "contemplative/active" are communities that have an active apostolate (i.e. teaching, nursing, retreats, etc) but they have a very structured prayer life, and pray each of the hours of the Liturgy of the Hours as a community. They also place a big emphasis on contemplation and prayer as PART of their apostolate, in addition to the active work that they do. :)

I say that as a former member of an active/contemplative community! :)

[quote name='CherieMadame' date='14 July 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1279054606' post='2142179']
Usually communities who identify themselves as "active/contemplative" or "contemplative/active" are communities that have an active apostolate (i.e. teaching, nursing, retreats, etc) but they have a very structured prayer life, and pray each of the hours of the Liturgy of the Hours as a community. They also place a big emphasis on contemplation and prayer as PART of their apostolate, in addition to the active work that they do. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]

I say that as a former member of an active/contemplative community! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I too was once a member of an active/contemplative order, and our 'active' apostolate was nursing. We certainly had a very structured prayer life and as you say CherieMadame the whole community prayed the Hours together, however if there was a really valid reason why a Sister could not join the Community in reciting the Office, she was given permission to remain where she was most needed, and pray the Office Hour silently. In all cases our patient's wellbeing was paramount, the Office could always be prayed while sitting at a person's bedside.