An Old School Catholic Message Board

Execution By Firing Squad

dominicansoul

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1276874905' post='2130885']
Honestly, I don't think God called for the murdering of this man...there are justifiable reasons for capitol punishment, and this case doesn't strike me as one. He was in prison for decades...he wasn't a threat to society. why kill him now? .[/quote]
This is due to lengthy appeals and other legal measures. Would you prefer instant execution?

[quote]I think the last sentence of the article proves this was just REVENGE..[/quote]
For that person, perhaps. Of course, anyone in favor of the death penalty is a simpleton, without conflicting desires like the rest of us [i]advanced [/i]human beings...

[quote name='Winchester' date='18 June 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1276875362' post='2130886']
For that person, perhaps. Of course, anyone in favor of the death penalty is a simpleton, without conflicting desires like the rest of us [i]advanced [/i]human beings...
[/quote]
iawtc

oh.. you were kidding..

:mellow:

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1276874905' post='2130885']
He killed an 11 year old girl? I didn't read that anywhere...can you provide me a link?

Honestly, I don't think God called for the murdering of this man...there are justifiable reasons for capitol punishment, and this case doesn't strike me as one. He was in prison for decades...he wasn't a threat to society. why kill him now? I think the last sentence of the article proves this was just REVENGE...

I just think any individual who would volunteer to kill him in this manner, might be a little sick in the head themselves... but that's just my opinion
[/quote]

My mistake his murder victim was Michael Burdell, the 11 year old girl was the victim of the last man executed by firing squad. But likely the 'sad story' would have been the same with that murderer.

His execution is not murder, it is justice carried out on a murderer.

Edited by KnightofChrist

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='18 June 2010 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1276875509' post='2130889']
My mistake his murder victim was Michael Burdell, the 11 year old girl was the victim of the last man executed by firing squad. But likely the 'sad story' would have been the same with that murderer.

His execution is not murder, it is justice carried out on a murderer.
[/quote]

an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth? I think Jesus said something quite different...

[quote name='Bennn' date='18 June 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1276872262' post='2130874']
Amen.

They could have just removed him from society for the rest of his life.

+Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]
obviously they didn't feel that was the right choice, since he had killed a man trying to escape

HisChildForever

The article is missing a very important piece of information.

[quote]Utah no longer offers the firing squad as an option, but would allow it only for inmates who chose this method prior to its elimination.[/quote]

[quote]Authorizes firing squad if lethal injection is held unconstitutional. Inmates who selected execution by firing squad prior to May 3, 2004, may still be entitled to execution by that method.[/quote]

[url="http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution"]Death Penalty Information Center[/url]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 11:50 AM' timestamp='1276876242' post='2130894']
an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth? I think Jesus said something quite different...
[/quote]

St. Paul an Apostle of Jesus Christ divinely wrote under the guidance of the Holy Ghost that...

1 Let every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. 2 Therefore he that resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. 3 For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. For he is God's minister: an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. 5 Wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.

I certainly do not support the Mormon doctrine of [i]Blood Atonement[/i], but I do accept the Catholic doctrine which holds that there is an expiatory value in accepting punishment - even the death penalty - when one has committed a crime against God and his fellow man. It is one of the reasons why a priest is sent to a man before his execution, so that he may make confession and so that the priest can help him to offer his punishment up in union with Christ's atoning death upon the cross.

HisChildForever

Again, Gardner CHOSE to be executed by firing squad.

[quote]When his daughter Brandie asked him recently why in April he chose the firing squad rather than the more conventional lethal injection method, he said: "I lived by the gun, I murdered with a gun, I will die by the gun."[/quote]

Source is [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/18/utah-execution-ronnie-lee-gardner"]here[/url].

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='18 June 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1276877183' post='2130899']
St. Paul an Apostle of Jesus Christ divinely wrote under the guidance of the Holy Ghost that...

1 Let every soul be subject to higher powers: for there is no power but from God: and those that are, are ordained of God. 2 Therefore he that resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God. And they that resist, purchase to themselves damnation. 3 For princes are not a terror to the good work, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? Do that which is good: and thou shalt have praise from the same. 4 For he is God's minister to thee, for good. But if thou do that which is evil, fear: for he beareth not the sword in vain. For he is God's minister: an avenger to execute wrath upon him that doth evil. 5 Wherefore be subject of necessity, not only for wrath, but also for conscience' sake.
[/quote]
St. Paul may have written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, but men tend to interpret the Bible as they see fit...

...i don't think the Lord or St. Paul would want us to obey a "higher power" in every instance...just take a look who the most "powerful" man in the world is...I would never submit myself to obama's whims...and I highly doubt God would want us to follow the law of the land that would go against His commandments...sorry, but I don't blindly follow "higher powers" and I don't think God wants that from us, either.

dominicansoul

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='18 June 2010 - 12:13 PM' timestamp='1276877595' post='2130902']
Again, Gardner CHOSE to be executed by firing squad.

Source is [url="http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/18/utah-execution-ronnie-lee-gardner"]here[/url].
[/quote]

yes, and immediately after choosing, he and his lawyer fought for clemency...

[quote name='Bennn' date='18 June 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1276872262' post='2130874']
Amen.

They could have just removed him from society for the rest of his life.

+Pax Domini,
Ben
[/quote]
Solitary is torture.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1276879186' post='2130905']
St. Paul may have written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, but men tend to interpret the Bible as they see fit...

...i don't think the Lord or St. Paul would want us to obey a "higher power" in every instance...just take a look who the most "powerful" man in the world is...I would never submit myself to obama's whims...and I highly doubt God would want us to follow the law of the land that would go against His commandments...sorry, but I don't blindly follow "higher powers" and I don't think God wants that from us, either.
[/quote]

I support Catholic Doctrine which we all know supports the God given right of the State to give death penalties for capital crimes. This man's death is an act of Justice. St. Paul and Catholic Doctrine trumps the opinions of those against the death penalty. Because opinions however honorable do not and shall never trump Doctrine. Never.

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='18 June 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1276879390' post='2130907']
yes, and immediately after choosing, he and his lawyer fought for clemency...
[/quote]
So he wimped out.

dominicansoul

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='18 June 2010 - 12:45 PM' timestamp='1276879533' post='2130909']
I support Catholic Doctrine which we all know supports the God given right of the State to give death penalties for capital crimes. This man's death is an act of Justice. St. Paul and Catholic Doctrine trumps the opinions of those against the death penalty. Because opinions however honorable do not and shall never trump Doctrine. Never.
[/quote]
Catholic Doctrine can also easily be twisted to fit one's own opinions...just as Scripture verses...

The Catholic Church does in fact, support the death penalty [i]in cases where it is warranted...[/i]I figured since this man was in prison for the last two decades, and he had not killed anyone in the last 20 years, he wasn't a threat to society, and therefore his execution wasn't justifiable.