An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

Ooo!!! Ooo!!! :bounce: I am!!

I'm set to enter the Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration in September. I'm so psyched! :D

I'm anxious to see who else is discerning with Franciscans; it seems like most vocations (especially PMers :P) nowadays go the Dominican route.

franciscanheart

[quote name='JTheresa' date='19 June 2010 - 12:55 AM' timestamp='1276923352' post='2131261']

I'm set to enter the Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration in September. I'm so psyched! :D

I'm anxious to see who else is discerning with Franciscans; it seems like most vocations (especially PMers :P) nowadays go the Dominican route.
[/quote]
Exactly why I asked about my dear Franciscans. :) I believe I have a Franciscan heart, so it's always a treat to converse with Franciscans. I, of course, love the others too, but there's something really special about being with or talking to someone of similar temperament and drawn to the same charism. :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='JTheresa' date='19 June 2010 - 12:55 AM' timestamp='1276923352' post='2131261']

[/quote]

That's because Dominicans are the best! :woot:
[spoiler] [size="1"]But we love Franciscans because St. Dominic did.[/size][/spoiler]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1276923583' post='2131265']
[spoiler] [size="1"]But we love Franciscans because St. Dominic did.[/size][/spoiler]
[/quote]

Poor Carmelites don't get no love.

That's ok. We're content to be forgotten in our cloisters. I bet no one even sends letters after a year or two. :sadder:

BTW I love Franciscans. Poverty is one of my favorite things EVER. Also a very good friend from high school entered postulancy with the Poor Clares last September.

Edited by aalpha1989

OnlySunshine

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='19 June 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1276923680' post='2131266']

That's ok. We're content to be forgotten in our cloisters. I bet no one even sends letters after a year or two. :sadder:

BTW I love Franciscans. Poverty is one of my favorite things EVER. Also a very good friend from high school entered postulancy with the Poor Clares last September.
[/quote]

Studies have shown that Carmelites thrive when all have forgotten them. The more bruised they are, the more saintly they become. :P

franciscanheart

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='19 June 2010 - 01:01 AM' timestamp='1276923680' post='2131266']

[/quote]
One of my very favorite people on this earth (that I've met and have been privileged to know well) possesses a Carmelite heart. If I remember her story correctly, she actually entered Carmel before meeting her now husband. It was one of those intense, crazy, awesome stories. Anyway, they're married and have three boys: Sebastian, Maximilian, and Ignatius. :)

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='19 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1276923567' post='2131264']
Exactly why I asked about my dear Franciscans. :) I believe I have a Franciscan heart, so it's always a treat to converse with Franciscans. I, of course, love the others too, but there's something really special about being with or talking to someone of similar temperament and drawn to the same charism. :)
[/quote]
I feel you there. I just love reading books about Franciscan saints because it's so much easier for me to relate to them than the other saints. (oddly enough though, Saint Catherine of Siena is my baptismal patron. :mellow: )
I was visiting the Sisters last week and be_thou_my_vision asked me if you were still on. You hadn't really started posting on VS again yet, but she says hi!!!

[/quote]
I love love LOVE the carmelites!!! If I wasn't called to an active order, I would have entered Carmel in a heartbeat. At least, I think. I might be too Franciscan to spend that kind of time in prayer. :idontknow: Saints Teresa and John are two of my absolute favorites!!!! and I firmly believe that among all the spiritualities, that Carmelites and Franciscans have the most in common. Obviously, the brown habits. And the focus of trying to pray continuously/ make ones life a living prayer. Very key to both spiritualities. And Francis loved praying by himself in his little cave/hermitage; very Carmelite. :))

Not meaning to get off topic... :offtopic:

[quote name='JTheresa' date='19 June 2010 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1276924513' post='2131275']
I feel you there. I just love reading books about Franciscan saints because it's so much easier for me to relate to them than the other saints. (oddly enough though, Saint Catherine of Siena is my baptismal patron. :mellow: )
I was visiting the Sisters last week and be_thou_my_vision asked me if you were still on. You hadn't really started posting on VS again yet, but she says hi!!!

I love love LOVE the carmelites!!! If I wasn't called to an active order, I would have entered Carmel in a heartbeat. At least, I think. I might be too Franciscan to spend that kind of time in prayer. :idontknow: Saints Teresa and John are two of my absolute favorites!!!! and I firmly believe that among all the spiritualities, that Carmelites and Franciscans have the most in common. Obviously, the brown habits. And the focus of trying to pray continuously/ make ones life a living prayer. Very key to both spiritualities. And Francis loved praying by himself in his little cave/hermitage; very Carmelite. :))

[/quote]

:D Yeah, my Prior (soon I'll say that and it'll actually be true! :shock:) always talks about how much he loves the Poor Clares, and about how similar to Carmelite nuns they are.

I'll stay on-topic by saying how much I admire St. Francis. :) I love how he would spend entire nights praying nothing but "Deus meus et omnia!" My heart just melted when I read that. I also love Our Lord's promise to St. Clare- "I will always protect you!" Franciscans are epic. :D

franciscanheart

[quote name='JTheresa' date='19 June 2010 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1276924513' post='2131275']
[/quote]
That made my day!! Next time you see her, please send my love and smiles. :)

When I was in college, I took a class on the Middle Ages. The professor was not even Christian but loved all of St. Francis' works more than anyone I've seen. She mentioned how it's so amazing that he can easily draw all kinds of people. In my head, I was thinking it's because be belongs to Christ! Don't stop believin' ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RdFtLB6GQo&feature=PlayList&p=79401351DA31C5D9&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=45[/media]

Chiquitunga

[quote name='JTheresa' date='19 June 2010 - 12:15 AM' timestamp='1276924513' post='2131275']I love love LOVE the carmelites!!! If I wasn't called to an active order, I would have entered Carmel in a heartbeat. At least, I think. I might be too Franciscan to spend that kind of time in prayer. :idontknow: [/quote]

But not if you're a Poor Clare! Sorry, I just had to add that! :rolleyes: though I know you touched on the very contemplative aspect of Franciscan spiritually too.

[quote]
I firmly believe that among all the spiritualities, that Carmelites and Franciscans have the most in common. Obviously, the brown habits. And the focus of trying to pray continuously/ make ones life a living prayer. Very key to both spiritualities.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote]
And Francis loved praying by himself in his little cave/hermitage; very Carmelite. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img][/quote]

Yep, and he wrote a rule for Hermits too :pray:

Personally, I love Carmel so much and all their beautiful saints :love: (like the new venerable that's my screen name!) but sometimes I am still very torn between them and the Poor Clares .. the major reason being .. ADORATION! This is HUGE in Franciscan life .. not so in Carmel .. at least not adoration of the exposed Blessed Sacrament. It's much much less. But whatever is God's will! God bless!

p.s. I have heard somewhere though that the Order that has the most saints in the Church are the Franciscans (including all three Orders he founded) Has anyone else heard this? I love them so much too!!! And there are so many beautiful Poor Clare saints that are just as amazing and intense as the more well known Carmelite saints! (eg St. Veronica Giuliani, St. Catherine of Bologna, St. Clare! obviously, St. Collete, etc.)

Edited by Chiquitunga

[quote name='Chiquitunga' date='19 June 2010 - 02:48 AM' timestamp='1276930093' post='2131330']
Personally, I love Carmel so much and all their beautiful saints :love: (like the new venerable that's my screen name!) but sometimes I am still very torn between them and the Poor Clares .. the major reason being .. ADORATION! This is HUGE in Franciscan life .. not so in Carmel .. at least not adoration of the exposed Blessed Sacrament. It's much much less. But whatever is God's will! God bless!
[/quote]

I agree! The lack of daily exposition was the only thing I really wished was different about my Carmelite community... Franciscans are so lucky! My community has it for an hour on Sundays after Vespers, which is still good. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='19 June 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1276923034' post='2131256']
Who here is discerning with a Franciscan order? Which one?
[/quote]

In in the past, I have discerned with the CFRs, and the [url="http://www.marymediatrix.com"]Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate[/url] (FSI). I [i]almost[/i] entered the FSIs... all I needed to do was set an entrance date. However, through much prayer (at times quite grieved prayer) and discernment I believe God simply was not calling me there, though I had [i]so [/i]wished He was. Love, love, love them. :love: Really, I think they're my favorite community. :sweat: I love their charism, and how they live their Franciscan poverty and joy, and ah! how I love their liturgy!

Yet, when one belongs to Our Lady, she always guides us along God's will for us if we trust her. I trust her guidance of my vocation and I am very much at peace about where He wants me. (And well, my good friend Thomas has been stalking me for quite some time now... he's finally won me over completely and even trumped Ignatius and Louis Marie on my Top Ten Saints List. :shock: )

Although, I will admit, I am a closet Franciscan. :ninja:

I'm anxious to see who else is discerning with Franciscans; it seems like most vocations (especially PMers :P) nowadays go the Dominican route.[/quote]

I was pretty surprised to see how many Dominicans we have here! When MM started the "Where Are All My Dominicans At?" thread -- BAM! -- there they were! :yahoo:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 12:59 AM' timestamp='1276923583' post='2131265']
[/quote]

:lol: :grouphug:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='19 June 2010 - 01:04 AM' timestamp='1276923873' post='2131269']
Studies have shown that Carmelites thrive when all have forgotten them. The more bruised they are, the more saintly they become. :P
[/quote]

:hehe:

[quote name='hugheyforlife' date='19 June 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1276924016' post='2131271']
One of my very favorite people on this earth (that I've met and have been privileged to know well) possesses a Carmelite heart. If I remember her story correctly, she actually entered Carmel before meeting her now husband. It was one of those intense, crazy, awesome stories. Anyway, they're married and have three boys: [b]Sebastian, Maximilian, and Ignatius[/b]. :)
[/quote]

What AWESOME names for her children!!!!!!

[/quote]

I've always heard of a closeness of spirituality between that of Carmel and Franciscans, more so than the other Orders as well. I think you've given some very good examples of how. ^_^ I also think both Orders have such a beautiful grasp of living in [i]simplicity[/i], if that makes sense. At least that's something I've found to be true in my own experience, especially with Franciscans.

Who are we Dominicans more like then? .....the [i]Jesuits[/i]?!? :bigshock:

Also, I've found a difficult time relating to a lot of the saints' lives I've read about. Of the Lives' I've read, I tend to enjoy reading more about Franciscans. (Though it is true, I have not read much about Dominican Saints... let's face it, we're just not as popular for reading material. :lol: Unless you're a mystic... and those are the people I tend to shy away from. :mellow: )

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='19 June 2010 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1276926619' post='2131285']
:D Yeah, my Prior (soon I'll say that and it'll actually be true! :shock:)

[/quote]

Really it'll actually be true soon?!?! :clapping: