An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

lookingforfaith

[quote name='krissylou' date='14 July 2010 - 12:00 PM' timestamp='1279123205' post='2142562']
Will someone please discern with these folks?

(I think the community pictures are old and they do have some younger vocations now.)

[url="http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/PoorClares/"]http://www.stanthony...org/PoorClares/[/url]

They are within walking distance of my house and I'd like to meet you.

Obviously this should take top priority in your discernment. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I live in MA, and I was seriously looking at this community and talking to them. I'm not as much actively discerning right now, but I'm really starting to take another look at religious life. :)

[quote name='lookingforfaith' date='14 July 2010 - 09:15 PM' timestamp='1279156530' post='2142806']
I live in MA, and I was seriously looking at this community and talking to them. I'm not as much actively discerning right now, but I'm really starting to take another look at religious life. :)
[/quote]

Oooh, nice!
:welcome:

Happy feast of Saint Bonaventure!!!! Doctor of the Church and best friend of our dear St. Thomas Aquinas!!

The stories of these two are endless. :) Father mentioned several during the homily at mass today.

Today's Magnificat meditation was written by him too. It was simply beautiful. Exactly what I needed to hear. I'll see if I can find it online...

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Arco' date='14 July 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1279117278' post='2142500']
I was discerning with the Capuchins of New Jersey for a few years, but ultimately realized I was barking up the wrong tree. They're a great bunch of guys and I always liked hanging with them, and they do great work in feeding the hungry. In Delaware, they've got this killer little "dining room," they call it -- it's like a soup kitchen but it's something new every day. It's like a full-service restaurant with one thing on the menu, and they give away lots of bread -- last year I spent a day working there while on a discernment visit.

Anyway. I ended up figuring out I wasn't called there.

[b]The thing to remember about discerning with *any* order is that what they're looking out for is a love of and hunger for [i]consecrated community life[/i]. That's the first order of business; anything else you bring to the table is a bonus. For me, my focus, my hunger, my call was always to the priesthood, and consecrated life was just something I sort of dug. I spent four years hemming and hawing over them because of that, never willing to make the commitment because, deep down, I think I knew it wasn't for me. [/b]Once I got that worked out, I applied to the Diocese and here I am, six weeks from seminary.
[/quote]

What a great insight (the bolded bit)!! I think that you've said there is spot on. I've always wondered how discernment between diocesan priesthood and the religious life goes for men.

• 1 month later...
franciscanheart

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1279123205' post='2142562']
Will someone please discern with these folks?

(I think the community pictures are old and they do have some younger vocations now.)

[url="http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/PoorClares/"]http://www.stanthonyshrine.org/PoorClares/[/url]

They are within walking distance of my house and I'd like to meet you.

Obviously this should take top priority in your discernment. :)
[/quote]
:huh:

Very Franciscan myself, though I just mean personally, not discernment-wise. I hang out here at Vocation Station because of my relatives more than for myself. I have no clue about my own vocation and am essentially trusting that God will eventually hit me over the head with it. And yes, I realize that's not the wisest approach.

Anyway, I looooove Franciscans. I've spent plenty of time hanging out with them, starting with the Capuchins, and basically found them awesome. But being attracted to male orders is a little awkward. I've never met a group of female Franciscans that I had any interest in, for whatever reason. (Of course, I haven't met the Third Order group my sister joined yet, either) ;) . But I concur with the close affinity to Carmelites!

I use one of St. Francis' prayers before my classes, and have for the past 4 years. Even though I currently teach at a Jesuit school ;).

'All Highest Glorious God,
Cast your light into the darkness of my heart.
Grant me right faith, firm hope, perfect charity
and profound humility with wisdom and perception,
O Lord, so that I may do what is truly your holy will. Amen.'

Don't worry, I let St. Ignatius have at least equal time!

And I wanted to add a brief video (song/slideshow) about the Franciscan charism (sorta).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvmtbmWsutw&feature=related[/media]

• 4 months later...

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1295626126' post='2202519']
i want to be in NYC RIGHT NOW.
[/quote]
hughey!!!! We missed ya :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1295627817' post='2202523']
hughey!!!! We missed ya :)
[/quote]
:love: missed y'all too!

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1295626126' post='2202519']
i want to be in NYC RIGHT NOW.
[/quote]

Hello hugheyforlife! I don't believe I have 'met' you before. My name is Tally!

I wish I was in NYC right now, too. I've been writing to the CFRs, but haven't yet been able to meet them, and I very much want to!

franciscanheart

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1295630183' post='2202532']
Hello hugheyforlife! I don't believe I have 'met' you before. My name is Tally!

I wish I was in NYC right now, too. I've been writing to the CFRs, but haven't yet been able to meet them, and I very much want to!
[/quote]
Very cool! Have you talked about a visit at all? Are you just waiting?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

Random, but the new directory of religious orders is looking [i]very[/i] Franciscan (for women at least...) lol

Hinter dem Horizont

I adore the Franciscans of the Renewal but I'm discerning a traditional vocation because I love tradition and respect it highly. I feel God is leading me there. However, I have thought about the Franciscans of the Renewal for a LONG time. They work with the poor of the Bronx in New York which would be a dangerous yet wonderful place to be. Helping the poor would do my heart good. Especially since I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth, as my mum says. I want to forsake all my riches in the name of Our Lord.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1295631052' post='2202534']
Very cool! Have you talked about a visit at all? Are you just waiting?
[/quote]

Both, actually! Restraints due to time and distance have hindered me from visiting them. So, I have talked about a visit, knowing that it will have to wait a while.