An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscans

franciscanheart

I used to see the Friars of the Fenewal at New Dawn each year, especially Fr Stan who I was lucky enough to get to chat to about being a new and inexperienced catechist in a rough area and what could he advise. I was always so struch by their love. I went to confession with one of the friars too, and I actually don't like the big open confessions you get at such occassions but I needed to go and he was lovely. He actually had me laughing!

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1315440860' post='2301848']

I've discerned with several orders and even applied to the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus in 2009, but I have not found THE order (I thought Carmel was it, but God responded and I knew it was not to be). At present, I am discerning with the [url="http://www.rsmofalma.org/"]Religious Sisters of Mercy[/url] in Alma, MI. I am trying to get in touch with the vocation director and save up money to do a retreat there. I hope to hear from Sr. Catherine Marie next week because this week is extra busy with the postulants being initiated tomorrow. Once everything dies down, I may call her if I don't hear from her soon. :)
[/quote]
How wonderful!!!! That is such a beautiful order. Their work is similar to that of the CFRs too. As always, you are in my prayers! :)

i<3franciscans

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315478335' post='2302075']
I used to see the Friars of the Fenewal at New Dawn each year, especially Fr Stan who I was lucky enough to get to chat to about being a new and inexperienced catechist in a rough area and what could he advise. I was always so struch by their love. I went to confession with one of the friars too, and I actually don't like the big open confessions you get at such occassions but I needed to go and he was lovely. He actually had me laughing!
[/quote]
I take it you meant Renewal. haha.
On serious terms... Of all the orders I have every met, I have never seen friars or sisters so in love with Jesus. I personally think it has to do with their extreme poverty. Every order has a vow of poverty, but they live it out on such a high level. I have been "warned" in a sense by a few sisters (not CFRs) how strict they are, but that seems so untrue. I love the fact that they don't have TVs or computers!!! They truly know what it means to detach themselves from everything for the love of Jesus. How Beautiful!

Haha, if you want strict....[url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Issue_5.html"]Franciscan Sisters Minor[/url]
(article [url="http://www.todayscatholicnews.org/2011/01/franciscan-sisters-minor-live-life-of-prayer-and-service/"]here[/url])

Again, it's not that they are strict in the sense of dour or something...they just are hardcore about living in poverty, and that is very apparent in all aspects of their lives. And I might think that only young people full of zeal could live such austere lives, but no, they have sisters in their 70s who are grandmothers doing this! So....it's very possible to live this way joyfully, at any stage in life.

And of course, we have a [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/102998-franciscan-sisters-minor-fsm/"]thread[/url] for them here at Phatmass as well :) If anyone contacts or visits them, I'd love for them to post and let us know!

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1315478335' post='2302075']
[/quote]

I know what you mean by big open Confessions. I remember one occasion where Fr. Gabriel was hearing Confessions along with other Friars and he was sitting in the corner, obscured by a screen or lattice. The person confessing sat with him behind the screen, but it was very hard to hear because we were in the Chapel where the Eucharistic Adoration was taking place and there was music. I even remember someone coming in to the screen area and telling us to please keep our voices down!!! I was barely whispering and still I was told to keep quiet, which I thought was pretty rude, especially since they stepped into the Confessional area. :frown:

Fortunately, the next year, I went to Fr. Bernard and they put him in a small room off to the side that could be more private and that had a door. Even when I go to Confession at Church for Advent and Lenten Penance services, I prefer to go to a priest that has a station inside a private area so not everyone hears what is going on.

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315482334' post='2302085']
How wonderful!!!! That is such a beautiful order. Their work is similar to that of the CFRs too. As always, you are in my prayers! :)
[/quote]

I appreciate that, little one. I really love their apostolate and I've been assured that they have social work there, but I'm open to whatever the Superiors decide for me. :love:

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315482701' post='2302089']
I take it you meant Renewal. haha.
On serious terms... Of all the orders I have every met, I have never seen friars or sisters so in love with Jesus. I personally think it has to do with their extreme poverty. Every order has a vow of poverty, but they live it out on such a high level. I have been "warned" in a sense by a few sisters (not CFRs) how strict they are, but that seems so untrue. I love the fact that they don't have TVs or computers!!! They truly know what it means to detach themselves from everything for the love of Jesus. How Beautiful!
[/quote]

Amen! They are filled with the most pure, unadulterated joy I've ever seen! St. Francis, I'm sure, would be pleased with them all. Not one single Friar or Sister I met was ever unkind. They truly believe in the great apostolate of evangelization and I believe that they live by the motto "Preach the Gospel at all times and use words when necessary." Their outward witness in their actions is incredibly amazing. :love:

MargaretTeresa

Meeting some Franciscans a week from tomorrow! Excited!

I wrote Rev Mother Abbess at PCC Cleveland yesterday. Cant wait to hear back from her.

i<3franciscans

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315508956' post='2302247']

I wrote Rev Mother Abbess at PCC Cleveland yesterday. Cant wait to hear back from her.
[/quote]
That is so exciting!!! I can't wait to hear about. How long are you staying? :bounce:

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315508956' post='2302247']

[/quote]

Which ones? CFRs?

i<3franciscans

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315567957' post='2302480']

Which ones? CFRs?
[/quote]
I was going to ask, but I think she is talking about the Poor Clares...

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1315567957' post='2302480']

Which ones? CFRs?
[/quote]
[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1315570350' post='2302494']
I was going to ask, but I think she is talking about the Poor Clares...
[/quote]

Actually, neither. Although I do want to drop in on the Poor Clares in Memphis...
I'm visiting the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity a week from today!!!!!!

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1315579512' post='2302535']

Actually, neither. Although I do want to drop in on the Poor Clares in Memphis...
I'm visiting the Franciscan Sisters of Christian Charity a week from today!!!!!!
[/quote]

I don't think i know anything about them, I may need to have a Google....

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1315605148' post='2302691']
The Franciscan sisters of Christian Charity are sososososo cool!
[/quote]

Just looked then up. I actually had looked at their site again and remember liking them, they seem a lovely community.