An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1285789324' post='2176800']
We have a dance here in NZ called the" Hokey Tokey" that kids do at Pre school, so guess we are on the same wavelength.
Also it is done at weddings, 21st birthdays and the like, and can be so funny to watch when some of the guests who have had a little too much to drink, get up and have a shot at it!!

I forgot to mention that Hokey Pokey ice cream also has thick gooey caramel syrup stirred into the 'whipped cream" vanilla as well as the caramelised toffee pieces. Have I got you converted to Kiwi icecream ? Seriously all our icecream is made with whipped cream, which is the same as Laetitia Crucis's 'double cream'.

You are so right, Kiwi's have an accent! When I worked in Az. I was always referred to as "the Kiwi Nurse with the cute accent', and for some reason everyone thought it was cool. When it is my turn to do the readings I hope you won't all fall about laughing, as some of our pronunciations will be different from those of the sisters who originate from the US. The only thing I would ask PLEASE, is don't ever confuse the NZ accent with that of the Australians - it is so different!!:dance:

Jersey cows are the main dairy herds of NZ. Everywhere you go you see the massive herds of the brown Jersey's, no wonder most NZ'ers are addicted to dairy products especially cream! Cream is reasonably cheap to buy so we always have a bottle in the refrigerator. Dairying and all its associated products are our main export, and our chief source of income. If you decide that the Community needs a small herd of Jerseys, may I volunteer my services to help milk them? That, I can do, in addition to my Laundry duties. (if of course you give me your permission to do so):farmer:

I will be happy to share my icecream recipes with Sister Cook, I even have a recipe for dairy intolerant icecream lovers, although it is more like a sorbet in texture.

Can you please give me an approx entrance date, as I will have to get my passport and visa paperwork underway pretty soon. as at the moment, I would be regarded as an Alien and get deported!!!!!!

[/quote]

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. The real prioress of the Community (who exists only in our imagination) has been away, and I am the council member concerned with temporal things--since I'm the most worldly one in the community (as well as the only council member so far who actually exists except in our imagination) so I will gladly take care of arrangements. (Other members of the council include the Sisters in charge of music, the liturgical and sacramental things, the Novice Mistress, etc. I know there are official "religious words" for these roles in the community, but since their titles may differ by Order and community I am only using descriptive titles.

Most Sisters enter immediately. However, since you have Visa and Passport issues, your entrance date may have to be delayed. December 2 is the feast day of Our Lady of Peace, so that could be a very meaningful day to enter. However, if you want to enter earlier, find a feast day this month or next that is meaningful to you, and we can set that as your entrance date. BTW--Don't worry about any possible problems with your visa, passport, etc. The "angel" (that is, primary donor) of the Community, as well as the Communities many friends have an "in" with immigration authorities, so, as soon as the paperwork is completed, you will find that you are approved very quickly.

On the other hand, if you want to spend Christmas with your family before you enter, that's understandable, and we can find a meaningful feast day for you to enter in January.

The "Hokey Tokey" sounds very similar to the American "Hokey Pokey." "You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out, you put your right foot it and you shake it all about, You do the Hokey Pokey and you turn yourself around, That's what's it's all about." There have been theological discussions on Phatmass as to whether the Hokey Pokey is really what it's all about, but no need to repeat them here.

The thick, gooey caramel syrup makes Hokey Pokey ice cream sound even better. I told Sister Cook about Hokey Pokey ice cream, and then had to remind her that, for hygienic reasons, it is better that the Sister Cook not drool on the food.

As for the herd of Jersey cows, you are welcome to help milk them or to help feed the calves. In the U.S., at least, most milking is done by milking machines for hygienic reasons, and if we ever wanted to distribute or sell our milk and cream we would have to meet certain standards. I think the U.S. desperately needs more Jersey cows. Even if the farm made little or no profit, it would be worthwhile. Since the farm will be part of the monastery grounds, we can offer a willing dairy farmer who has experience with Jersey cows and loves them, the facilities and the necessary land at little to no rent, and can pay for the building of the necessary facilities.

I'll give you an example of how pathetic the "cream" situation is in the U.S. Our standard whipping cream doesn't even come close to cream from Jersey cows--and "double thick" cream doesn't even exist. And, while it is possible to buy Devonshire clotted cream from certain speciality stores, the cost is roughly USD 7 (roughly NZD 9.50) for about 6 oz.--in the U.S. we have refused to go metric. I was at a fancy specialty grocery store the other day because they have a very good bakery, and their pre-made soups are excellent. I was looking in the dairy section and found a container that purported to be whipping cream from Jersey cows. It was in a bottle, and from what I could see, the cream looked thinner than our standard whipping cream, more like milk. When I looked at the ingredients, the bottle said that it contained milk as well as carrageenan (a food thickener made from seaweed). And, the quart bottle cost USD 1.99 (NZD 2.69). How lame is that?

I'm sure Sister Cook will appreciate any recipes you bring. And, for those of us (including myself) who are lactose intolerant but will settle for nothing less than thick, rich ice cream, there are some excellent lactose enzyme pills available now that work very well--at least for me. We have lactose-free milk, but I've never seen lactose-free cream. There may be some scientific reason why that isn't possible, but if it's available, we'll find it--even if it doesn't come from Jersey cows. Perhaps one of our future Sisters will be a food scientist who can create lactose-free Jersey cream.

So, let us know what date you'd like to enter, and I'll start negotiations with a dairy farmer. Farming is a difficult business, so I have no doubt we can find an experienced dairy farmer willing to take charge of our herd of Jersey cows, especially if we provide him or her needed facilities and housing for the family at little or no cost.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1279680751' post='2145792']
I can see it now:

Us:

Dear Bishop.

Please grant your blessing to our community. We are Benedictine and Carmelite and Franciscan and Dominican and Visitandine and cloistered and semi-cloistered and not-at-all cloistered and we like to wear sandals except when it is cold. Or muddy. Then we like boots. When it is medium cold we wear socks with our sandals, but they cannot be white socks as that would be unfashionable and we wish to be nuns with a sense of style. And we like treehouses. And libraries with pictures but not too many pictures that they'll crowd out the books. And we have a hermit. Don't bother her, she's being quiet and contemplative. Also, don't bother her because vee8 is standing guard with a super-soaker.

Bishop: :shock: :wacko:

[/quote]

:rotfl:

It's great to see such a decisive bunch of people that can warmly come together and agree on matters. :smile3:

Edited by JoyfulLife

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1286579841' post='2178648']

It's great to see such a decisive bunch of people that can warmly come together and agree on matters. :smile3:
[/quote]

Laughing hard here... you guys are nuts!... Maybe that is why i love you all so much! Where is my tree house now? rotfl

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1286588736' post='2178699']
I hope I don't get "pushed out" anytime soon, I haven't been contributing to the community' much.
[/quote]

Of course you won't be pushed out. You've been on retreat. That's the ticket. A long silent retreat, that we hope resulted in you feeling closer to God and that also gave you lots of good ideas for posts in the future.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1286580452' post='2178650']
Laughing hard here... you guys are nuts!... Maybe that is why i love you all so much! Where is my tree house now? rotfl
[/quote]

Your tree house is ready and waiting for you, set up just exactly the way you want it. (Don't ask how we know these things, we just do.)

Vee8 was supposed to guard your privacy, but now that she's gone all Carmelite on us, she claims that her intent all along was to attack you with her super-soaker water gun. Must be some sort of strange Carmelite ritual that I don't even pretend to understand.

If you need guards to protect you from Vee8 or extra locks for your hermitage door, just let me know, and I'll have it taken care of, pronto. We never thought we'd need locks, but all these novenas seem to have affected Vee8 in unexpected ways. We may have to rethink our policy of "no psychological tests." (We figured we'd all fail anyway, so why bother. Maybe we need them to weed out people who are too normal, but that still doesn't explain Vee8. She keeps telling me to "Stop and smell the roses.") :joecool:

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1286591284' post='2178709']
Your tree house is ready and waiting for you, set up just exactly the way you want it. (Don't ask how we know these things, we just do.)

Vee8 was supposed to guard your privacy, but now that she's gone all Carmelite on us, she claims that her intent all along was to attack you with her super-soaker water gun. Must be some sort of strange Carmelite ritual that I don't even pretend to understand.

If you need guards to protect you from Vee8 or extra locks for your hermitage door, just let me know, and I'll have it taken care of, pronto. We never thought we'd need locks, but all these novenas seem to have affected Vee8 in unexpected ways. We may have to rethink our policy of "no psychological tests." (We figured we'd all fail anyway, so why bother. Maybe we need them to weed out people who are too normal, but that still doesn't explain Vee8. She keeps telling me to "Stop and smell the roses.") :joecool:
[/quote]

AHHHHH... how you give joy to my heart! :blowkiss:

• 3 months later...

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1279680751' post='2145792']
I can see it now:

Us: Dear Bishop. Please grant your blessing to our community. We are Benedictine and Carmelite and Franciscan and Dominican and Visitandine and cloistered and semi-cloistered and not-at-all cloistered and we like to wear sandals except when it is cold. Or muddy. Then we like boots. When it is medium cold we wear socks with our sandals, but they cannot be white socks as that would be unfashionable and we wish to be nuns with a sense of style. And we like treehouses. And libraries with pictures but not too many pictures that they'll crowd out the books. And we have a hermit. Don't bother her, she's being quiet and contemplative. Also, don't bother her because vee8 is standing guard with a super-soaker.

Bishop: :shock: :wacko:
[/quote]

I love this goofy little 'ol thread! :smile2:

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1296795815' post='2208526']
I'm sad I've missed out on this one til now! :cry2: I love the post quoted above. :clapping:
[/quote]

Completely agree!

• 1 year later...
Pax_et bonum

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1337705973' post='2433707']
We had a PM religious order, but I can't find it!
[/quote]
Yes, I am a Hufflepuff (Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders).

Clare~Therese

I saw the title of this thread and I thought, "Pipes!"

[img]http://www.gharexpert.com/mid2/912200851549.jpg[/img]

Or is it p[i]v[/i]c pipes?