An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 August 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1280968045' post='2152345']
JMJ
BTW-my community is very preventitive when it comes to men interfearing...so I totally see where ya'all are coming from. Just look a the Ladies Rest Area
[/quote]

I've sensed that about you Triddy. You may be young, but you can be formidable when you choose.

BTW--Did I mention no babysitting, except if you chose to as part of your apostolate? Heaven on earth.

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 August 2010 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1280968358' post='2152348']
But I like men. :(
[/quote]

Me too!!

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 August 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1280968358' post='2152348']
But I like men. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I don't just like men, I love men. I don't want to leave men totally out of our lives, just make sure that it is fully understood that this is a female monastery, and that, when we need advice (which we certainly will sometimes), we will ask for it. Otherwise, butt out. We will also be obedient to the bishop (enough to keep him happy) and to the Pope.

Men who support our unique charism and who have no desire to try to tell us what to do will always be very welcome. It's just that, in my experience, except for a few unique men, the urge to take over is very strong. So, in terms of helping us run things, older retired men are ideal, because they have proved themselves, and they are already secure and don't need to prove their manhood. Obviously not ALL older men are like this--we have to choose well. But, in the business world, I met a number of very wise men, and most of them were older and at the end of their careers, and were more interested in helping others than getting ahead themselves. From what I have read, although many religious men aren't power-hungry, many are, and dioceses (even Orders) can be VERY political.

But, if younger men want to keep us company, they are very welcome.

One example of my point--just look at VS compared to the debate forums. Yes, women's communities often need the balance of the advice of an older, wiser, man. And, all female communities can get toxic, too, so we have to always be on the alert for that. But, younger men just can't help showing off, or trying to take over, or having to be right all the time. Men have their highest levels of testosterone in their late teens. It's nature. And, seminarians, in particular, have been kept under the thumb of obedience for so long that they are itching for power and their own parishes. In its place, that's great. But, not in our community--again, unless we ask.

In our community, every woman is wise in her own way and has something unique to contribute. If men take over, the whole atmosphere would be different. So, we don't reject men--not by any means. But, we are also careful. Does that make sense?

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='linnie' date='04 August 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1280963012' post='2152291']
I'd be happy to offer my services as Sr. Infirmariam

Sr. Mary Benedicta of the Little Red Scooter.........RN
[/quote]

I missed this post earlier--We'd love to have you as infirmarian. And our donor will make sure that your infirmary has all the equipment and room it needs. We'll also be sure that we have a couple of competent M.D.'s who promise to be within easy reach, even if it means that the donor has to put them "on retainer." (Do doctors ever do that? Or do only lawyers do that?)

I love Sister Mary Benedicta of the Little Red Scooter, PPC, RN (or does it go the other way around?)

[quote name='Hilde' date='04 August 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1280978062' post='2152451']
Yeah but we get to have them over to play card games with right?
[/quote]

JMJ
Not the FSSP chaplains, they cheet. And really well[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 August 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1280978961' post='2152463']
JMJ
Not the FSSP chaplains, they cheet. And really well[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Holy men of the cloth? Cheating? Horrors! Next thing we know they will wear white socks with black shoes!

We will just have to become expert at some other card game that they don't know well enough to cheat. And, we will always use a new pack of cards wrapped in plastic. If necessary, our donor will pay for cameras overhead, like Las Vegas. LOL Okay, we don't need to go THAT far.

It is our duty as Sisters to keep our seminary brethren from falling into wanton ways. If we catch them cheating, we will simply refuse to feed them. I suspect that will be enough of an incentive not to cheat. (Not to mention that our habits will have larger sleeves than theirs, much better for hiding cards.) [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.gif[/img]

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

JMJ
Ah. You speak much wisdom. I wasn't planning on feedin them, though. That is why their RV will be in the woods...so they can eat berries and locust

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='04 August 2010 - 10:42 PM' timestamp='1280979762' post='2152477']
JMJ
Ah. You speak much wisdom. I wasn't planning on feedin them, though. That is why their RV will be in the woods...so they can eat berries and locust
[/quote]

Yup, John the Baptist could teach them a lot. If nothing else, watch out for beautiful women who want your head cut off. Severely cuts down on your ability to preach.

You know, we are having fun with this thread but I've often envisioned something like this.....a religious community that combines all vocations: vowed and lay religious, married couples, consecrated singles. All would like together in community, with the families having their own homes and those who are vowed living together in a convent.

The Disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ had this at one time. They had several families living together with the sisters. I don't know why it ended, perhaps there wasn't enough interest.
But wouldn't it be wonderful to raise children in such an atmosphere of love and holiness? Little Portion Monastery in Arkansas also has such a community, I'm not sure how large it is. But John Michael Talbot and his wife formed the community many years ago.

oh by the way......

I think that the grounds of the PPC monastery should definitely be large enough to have a 2K running/walking path included. Time should be allowed for those of us who are runners to practice this form of devotion to God and HIs creation.

also, Sr. Infirmarian is well versed in the treatment of skin splints for those among us who get to eager in their running. :whistle:

Sr. Mary Benedicta, etc. :biker:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Hilde' date='05 August 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1281037799' post='2152815']
Fine then I'll feed them, the boys need food.
[/quote]

You're right, young men need food--lots of food. John the Baptist was much older when he went into the desert. Having watched an older brother go through his teenage and college years, having eaten in a college cafeteria, and now watching my nephew as he has suddenly shot up to six feet--teenage boys and young men eat a lot. (So much, it makes me jealous, because it doesn't make them fat. It helps them "fill out" but they don't (usually) get fat.)

So, even if Triddy is strict with her seminarians, Hilde and I will have pity and sneak out at night and feed them. We'll ask Sister Cook to make extra, so they get good, wholesome food.

However, if they cheat at cards, I may get stern. I don't like cheating at cards, particularly since, in the end, the winner of a card game is not important and has no impact on the world. I can understand a man who steals food to keep his family from starving. There is no reason to cheat at cards. And, in the end, a victory won by cheating gives no self-satisfaction. Plus, they are seminarians. They can't be angels, but it's reasonable to expect at least a LITTLE better behavior from them.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='linnie' date='05 August 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1281023851' post='2152628']
oh by the way......

I think that the grounds of the PPC monastery should definitely be large enough to have a 2K running/walking path included. Time should be allowed for those of us who are runners to practice this form of devotion to God and HIs creation.

also, Sr. Infirmarian is well versed in the treatment of skin splints for those among us who get to eager in their running. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img]

Sr. Mary Benedicta, etc. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/biker.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I agree. And, since we haven't picked out a location for the monastery, we (and our donor) will make sure that its grounds are "just the right size."

And, a Sister Infirmarian who knows how to deal with shin splints is exactly what we need. That is another reason why we also need a pool, to provide a form of exercise for those who need to take a break, or at least cut back their running, that does not require them to put extra weight on their legs.