An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Ppc

JTheresa

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1284916879' post='2174589']
Im... so ... sorry to hear that :| GET HER THERESE!! GET HER GOOD!! :clap3: :clapping: :cheer: :evil:

LIES! All lies! Sad sacks is a more apt description. :whistle:

BTW

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]

Edited to add the first and foremost of all Carmelite sad sacks.... the saint of sadness.... the model of misery.... the fount of frowning..... TERESA OF AVILA :cheer:
[img]http://marymackillop.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Saint-Teresa-of-Avila-1515-15821.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1284917243' post='2174596']
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Saint_Thomas_Aquinas.jpg[/img]
Holy as he was, even St. Thomas Aquinas couldn't conceal his dismay at liver meatloaf. :joecool:
[/quote]

AAaaahahahahahahahhaa!!! :lol4:

Edit: Emoticon code. :annoyed: Alas.

Edited by laetitia crucis

Indwelling Trinity

Im... so ... sorry to hear that :| GET HER THERESE!! GET HER GOOD!! :clap3: :clapping: :cheer: :evil:

BTW

Edited to add the first and foremost of all Carmelite sad sacks.... the saint of sadness.... the model of misery.... the fount of frowning..... TERESA OF AVILA :cheer:
[img]http://marymackillop.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Saint-Teresa-of-Avila-1515-15821.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Laughing hard here!!!!rotfl

Indwelling Trinity

BTW

[/quote]

Laughing hard here!!!!rotfl I thought OHM said God Protect us from gloomy saints? Vee you definitely need to cheer up!:dance2:

laetitia crucis

While Image-Googling "Teresa of Avila" looking for an exceptionally dour image, this one came up on page 4:

[img]http://thecia.com.au/star-trek/original-series/2/11b800.jpg[/img] :love:

AAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol4:

Did God [i]know [/i]I would be searching for ToA? I think He did.... :hehe:

[quote name='Indwelling Trinity' timestamp='1284936739' post='2174718']
Laughing hard here!!!!rotfl I thought OHM said God Protect us from gloomy saints? [b]Vee you definitely need to cheer up[/b]!:dance2:
[/quote]

Bossy! :P

[quote name='laetitia crucis' timestamp='1284936908' post='2174720']
While Image-Googling "Teresa of Avila" looking for an exceptionally dour image, this one came up on page 4:

[img]http://thecia.com.au/star-trek/original-series/2/11b800.jpg[/img] :love:

AAAAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol4:

Did God [i]know [/i]I would be searching for ToA? I think He did.... :hehe:
[/quote]
:smile3: you are such a nerd!!! .... oh wait so am I :grouphug: You know whats terrible? God knew you would be searching for the TofA pics and stuck the Spock one in there jsut for kicks, well I searched too and found the Spock pic but guess who was next to it? HER <_<

Sister Iggy,

I am open to doing anything. Howeveer, I think It is for the benefit of the community if I spend my postulancy lurking around the Phatmass Phorums (especially the vocation station) all for research of course so that I may answer questions such as - How many postulants entered the Sisters of Life and How Many Novices does the SMMC have.

Do you agree? :unsure: or do you believe I can further the Community's mission in another way?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1285078504' post='2175065']
Sister Iggy,

I am open to doing anything. Howeveer, I think It is for the benefit of the community if I spend my postulancy lurking around the Phatmass Phorums (especially the vocation station) all for research of course so that I may answer questions such as - How many postulants entered the Sisters of Life and How Many Novices does the SMMC have.

Do you agree? :unsure: or do you believe I can further the Community's mission in another way?
[/quote]

That sounds excellent. As you know, I am the librarian, but there is no way I can do that by myself. And, the need for someone to do research is endless. We'd love for you to do research for us, especially on other Orders, because there are so many things they can teach us. So, if you don't mind being a researcher, that would fill a need for the community. And, when you find something particularly interesting, we're counting on you to share it with us.

For example, as you may know, we have no concept for what our chapel, or even our monastery will look like. So, if, in your researches, you come across particularly beautiful chapels, monasteries, monastery grounds, etc., we'd love to see those, particularly if they are either in the U.S., or something we might reasonably be able to build in the U.S.. On the other hand, if you don't find this an interesting subject to research, then someone else will.

As a postulant, of course, you may be asked to join in on other tasks, as well. But, we will try to have them be tasks you truly enjoy, as much as possible. So, if you tell us what you enjoy doing, and the gifts that, in an ideal world, you would like to bring to the community, we know already that we will need them.

Let us know if you would like to be cloistered, semi-cloistered, or active--if you even know yet. In this community, many postulants may not have yet made a final decision on that. If active, let us know if there is an apostolate you would love to be part of. Also, if there is a particular saint who means a lot to you, let us know so that we can give that saint a place of special reverence in the community. The Community is named after Our Lady of Peace and the chapel is dedicated to St. Joseph. We already have one chapel dedicated to Our Lady and another to the Passion of Jesus. But, the grounds of the monastery are large, so we have room for special places dedicated to a much-loved saint.

And, if there is something you cannot do, tell us that, too. For example, at least one other member (in addition to myself) is extremely allergic to grass, hay, etc., so we will not be asked to mow the lawn. In life, not everything we have to do is something we enjoy, but, on the other hand, the community is flexible enough that no Sister will be ever be asked to do something that is harmful to her or goes against her charism. Several Sisters, including myself, have physical limitations, and the Community has been kind enough to accommodate them.

Also, think about what you would LOVE in a community, in a monastery--anything. We will do our best accomodate your dreams, and, like everyone else who has posted, you will give us some good ideas, just by telling us what you would love.

Pick a religious name, if you like. Some of us have "fun" names, others have serious names, others have both kinds of names.

All members of the community have their own cells, or a hermitage if they prefer. Hermitages are also available for Sisters who want to go on a solitary retreat. The grounds are large enough so that, while some hermitages may be closer to the main monastery for convenience, others will be further away, and be very solitary and quiet, but close enough so that Sister Cook and her angels could bring you meals if you wanted (or you could cook for yourself), or if you wanted to attend Mass with the community while on retreat. (Reminder: I do not know the standard practices for retreats, although I know they differ by Order and Community, so preferences will be easily accommodated.) There is also a guest retreat house outside the enclosure, so Sisters who feel they could contribute to others who are making a retreat, by giving talks, leading discussions, etc are welcome and needed.

Added note: I haven't mentioned this recently, but, although our community will be located in a quiet, beautiful location, it will also be located near enough to a respected university to accommodate those Sisters who want to pursue further education, including special training for those apostolates that require it, such as medicine or teaching.

Personally, I'd love to have a Sister who was a trained vet so that we could have a small refuge for injured wildlife--plus, my chronically ill cats need a good vet nearby, and having one as part of the community would be wonderful. If a Sister felt called to this, the nearby university just happens to include a school of veterinary medicine (as well as any other academic or professional degree a Sister wanted to pursue, including a respected religion department).

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1285273767' post='2175512']
Let's have an ice cream party every Sunday! And Thursday! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
[/quote]

Ooh yes please! Can one of the ice cream flavours be Hokey Pokey, then I won't feel so homesick .

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1285273767' post='2175512']
Let's have an ice cream party every Sunday! And Thursday! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
[/quote]

Sister Cook's homemade ice cream is really something special. And, ice cream is healthy food--lots of calcium and promotes a good mood.

On feast days, we can have cake with the ice cream. (Although some people prefer pie a la mode, I'm a huge fan of ice cream cakes.)

BTW--Recently, Sister Cook's recipe for liver meatloaf was permanently lost, and she does not have any recollection of how to make it.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1285274563' post='2175516']
Sister Cook's homemade ice cream is really something special. And, ice cream is healthy food--lots of calcium and promotes a good mood.

On feast days, we can have cake with the ice cream. (Although some people prefer pie a la mode, I'm a huge fan of ice cream cakes.)

BTW--Recently, Sister Cook's recipe for liver meatloaf was permanently lost, and she does not have any recollection of how to make it.
[/quote]

I think I've just won the lottery!!!

:winner:

:yahoo:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1285274492' post='2175515']
Ooh yes please! Can one of the ice cream flavours be Hokey Pokey, then I won't feel so homesick .
[/quote]

If you can tell Sister Cook what's in it, she can make it. Well, unless it has weird stuff like crickets or brussels sprouts, or expensive exotic ingredients that can only be found on mountaintops in Tibet.

Otherwise, homemade ice cream is a relatively frugal dessert. However, as part of the necessary self-discipline required to live in community (as well as for hygenic reasons), Sisters will scoop their ice cream with a clean scooper, and eating straight out of the ice cream container with a used spoon is not allowed. The "kitchen angels" are the only ones allowed to eat the last bit of ice cream out of the ice cream maker before they wash it. They can be bribed.

BTW--No Sister will be required to eat dessert if she doesn't want to, as long as she is not self-righteous about it. (If a Sister truly hates ice cream or is not allowed to eat it for medical reasons, Sister Cook will provide an equivalent dessert on request.) For those who are lactose intolerant, I have some excellent pills for lactose intolerance--nothing medicinal, just lactose enzymes, etc.--they really work!

Personally, I feel that dessert is one of the many ways that God shows how much he loves us--but the community understands that there are other points of view, and respects them.

I of L, sorry, have only just caught up with this again and seen your question.

Hokey Pokey ice cream is vanilla icecream with small pieces of caramalised toffee stirred into it. It is the No1 flavour choice of NZ'ers, and is yummy.

Iggy, I figured since I will have to come over to the US to enter, I might bring a small reminder of "home" with me from down under.? Like a shipping container full!:dance:

Who knows, the Sisters may think it is pretty neat, and Sister Cook will find it very easy to make. Where the Hokey Pokey name comes from tho' is beyond me. Kiwi humour maybe?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MarieLynn' timestamp='1285556565' post='2176166']
I of L, sorry, have only just caught up with this again and seen your question.

Hokey Pokey ice cream is vanilla icecream with small pieces of caramalised toffee stirred into it. It is the No1 flavour choice of NZ'ers, and is yummy.

Iggy, I figured since I will have to come over to the US to enter, I might bring a small reminder of "home" with me from down under.? Like a shipping container full!:dance:

Who knows, the Sisters may think it is pretty neat, and Sister Cook will find it very easy to make. Where the Hokey Pokey name comes from tho' is beyond me. Kiwi humour maybe?
[/quote]

I think Hokey Pokey ice cream sounds like it came straight from heaven! New Zealanders obviously have excellent taste. BTW--In the U.S., the "Hokey Pokey" is a dance done by kids in nursery school, and for some reason that makes no sense to me, at certain weddings. How a child's dance relates to vanilla ice cream with carmelized toffee bits is beyond me.

I suspect the majority of PPC sisters will be from the U.S., but there will likely be representatives from other countries, as well, particularly Canada. We definitely need a "kiwi" to join us, to teach us new customs and to keep us from being too "U.S.-centric." Americans have this bad habit of forgetting about the rest of the world. But, one thing you'll appreciate is that Americans LOVE accents from former and current English Commonwealth countries. There may be a little teasing, but that is jealousy. When it is your turn to do readings, we will thorougly enjoy every word--not only the content, but the accent, as well.

Please feel free to bring with you any reminders of home that the community can incorporate into the monastery and our daily life. If you bring samples of what the carmelized toffee bits are like, Sister Cook should be able to easily learn to make "authentic" Hokey Pokey ice cream. Since ice creams do differ, you might want to being a recipe if there is one, and maybe a container or two well wrapped in dry ice. But, otherwise, Sister Cook is so talented, that you won't need to import actual containers to have a bit of home at dessert time.

One thing that is different in the U.S. is that, in general, our milk isn't as rich as it is in England (not sure about New Zealand). When Laetitia Crucis talked about the "double cream" that was served with dessert at the community she will be entering soon, my mouth watered. Religious life is hard, and "double cream" is a gift from nature that helps lighten the heart.

The reason that dairy farmers in the U.S. don't normally keep Jersey cows (as I understand it--the source of the richest milk/cream) is that the milk production of Jersey cows isn't as high as that of other breeds of cow. However, I was thinking this past weekend that, since the community will not be trying to make millions from milk production, we might want to keep a herd of Jersey cows. We could either keep the herd ourselves, or perhaps make an agreement with a local farmer to raise Jersey cows to provide milk and cream for the community in exchange for something else--my understanding of the business of dairy farming is nil, obviously. Just that the lack of Jersey cows in the U.S. is just one of the mulititude of ways that the U.S. is deficient compared to other countries. Obviously, the U.S. does many things very well--but how much better if our community could incorporate the best things from our various "worlds."

We have a dance here in NZ called the" Hokey Tokey" that kids do at Pre school, so guess we are on the same wavelength.
Also it is done at weddings, 21st birthdays and the like, and can be so funny to watch when some of the guests who have had a little too much to drink, get up and have a shot at it!!

I forgot to mention that Hokey Pokey ice cream also has thick gooey caramel syrup stirred into the 'whipped cream" vanilla as well as the caramelised toffee pieces. Have I got you converted to Kiwi icecream ? Seriously all our icecream is made with whipped cream, which is the same as Laetitia Crucis's 'double cream'.

You are so right, Kiwi's have an accent! When I worked in Az. I was always referred to as "the Kiwi Nurse with the cute accent', and for some reason everyone thought it was cool. When it is my turn to do the readings I hope you won't all fall about laughing, as some of our pronunciations will be different from those of the sisters who originate from the US. The only thing I would ask PLEASE, is don't ever confuse the NZ accent with that of the Australians - it is so different!!:dance:

Jersey cows are the main dairy herds of NZ. Everywhere you go you see the massive herds of the brown Jersey's, no wonder most NZ'ers are addicted to dairy products especially cream! Cream is reasonably cheap to buy so we always have a bottle in the refrigerator. Dairying and all its associated products are our main export, and our chief source of income. If you decide that the Community needs a small herd of Jerseys, may I volunteer my services to help milk them? That, I can do, in addition to my Laundry duties. (if of course you give me your permission to do so):farmer:

I will be happy to share my icecream recipes with Sister Cook, I even have a recipe for dairy intolerant icecream lovers, although it is more like a sorbet in texture.

Can you please give me an approx entrance date, as I will have to get my passport and visa paperwork underway pretty soon. as at the moment, I would be regarded as an Alien and get deported!!!!!!