An Old School Catholic Message Board

Worthy Of Sainthood?

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

OOhhh i long to be a saint. I try so hard but i am such a horrible failure. y'all might oh she is just be humble but i am not. I dont feel worthy to be a saint. I am going through some really horrible stuff. and i embrace it (or try to) with God's grace because he is helping me become more like Him through my trials.

I long to be a Saint, but am unworthy of any honor.

Maybe if I do good in my life as a priest, I will be deigned a saint one day.

Allthough, we are called to be saints, now is the chance!

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

I want Union with the Divine Nature, I want to see God Face to Face...I want what God wants us to want.

Totus Tuus,
Andrew Joseph

This is what my parish priest said in his sermon the last two Sundays.

Thomas Aquainas was talking to his sister and told her that there are three things necessary to become a saint:

The first one: you have to want it.

The second: you have to want it.

The third: you have to want it.

That's so beautiful, that it's accesible... I must admit that being a saint is one of my main desires, if not my main one, but I wonder: Do I have a true desire? Do I want it enough? Is it a vain desire/ am I going for the glory?

Catholictothecore

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Apr 15 2004, 06:41 PM'] +JMJ+

Hello! :D

Have you ever felt like all you ever wanted to become was a Saint, but you felt unworthy of such an honor? I'm kinda feeling this way now. I know it is possiable to attain sainthood, and really everyone (kinda) becomes a Saint when they enter Heaven, but I feel this urge to try to attain this now... I've asked Christ to crucify me and well, He's said I'm not ready... I guess I just need a bit of reassurement, or see if anyone else has been feeling this way... Well, thanks for anything at all! God Bless!

Yours in the Most Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

FutureNunJMJ [/quote]
You and me both. I remember sitting one night and thinking about how much I wished I could have a relationship with Him as deep as He had with St. Francis Assisi. This thought came into my head. Everyone is called to that level of devotion. THAT was amazing. That I could have the same passion for Christ that Francis did. Wow.

And as for being "unworthy", I wouldn't worry. We ALL are, 100% unworthy. That's how the saints lives glorify God; look what he did with such sinners?

:sleep:
Pax Christi
CttC

What we are (our personal identity) is partly the result of the Creation (the image of God), and partly the result of the Fall (the image defaced). The self we are to deny, disown, and crucify is our fallen self, everything within us that is incompatible with Jesus Christ (hence Christ's command, "let him deny himself and follow me"). The self we are to affirm and value is our created self, everything within us that is compatible with Jesus Christ (hence his statement that if we lose ourselves by self-denial we shall find ourselves). True self-denial (the denial of our false, fallen self) is not the road to self-destruction, but the road to self-discovery.
---John Stott

A man should carry two stones in his pocket. On one should be inscribed, 'I am but dust and ashes.' On the other, 'For my sake was the world created.' And he should use each stone as he needs it.
--anonymous

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Thanks all... I know this one was of my first posts months ago...

I still have a huge feeling of being unworthy of things, especially the graces bestowed upon me...

I have grown much still... And much has happened since this event! AT the moment I had posted this, I was really experencing several trials I guess... I still do struggle, but we all do.

Thank you all!
God Bless and Mary Protect!

Catholictothecore

I LOVE THIS THREAD! I had no idea that I wasn't as alone as I've felt sometimes! You know, this particular board is quickly becoming my fav!

Hello! Hmm... Are any of us worthy of Sainthood? I don't think so.

I listened to a beautiful homily last night at the 4pm Saturday mass. The priest had said how often we always say we want to be saints and unite with God in heaven, but, we just don't want to yet. We are often not ready to leave this world, and really don't do something about it. That we put this idea in our heads that we can "earn" our ways to heaven, but really, that's impossible. Jesus earned His way to heaven, we have been given this opportunity to salvation as a gift. We must want to go to heaven and if we truly have this desire in our hearts, we will try to do our bests to grow as close to God as possible. To follow Jesus path and grow in humilty, to die to ourselves.

The priest homily really inspired me! He was so honest too...

His homily really helped me to think about things. Yes, I too desire greatly to unite with God in heaven, but I realize too that I am unworthy. But, God calls all of us despite our many flows, to grow in holiness. "Lord, I am unworthy but only say the word and I shall be healed."

I desire so greatly to one day be in heaven, but only God truly knows for only God truly judges. Until I do part this world, I want to be as close to God as possible. A priest once told me that I musn't focus so greatly on my sins because then I will miss the beauty around me. When I open my eyes I see Christ in others, I feel Gods unconditional love. When I open up to Gods will I feel at peace and filled with joy.

I really don't know what to say, this is simply just how I feel.

May Gods will be done, may we desire to become saints not for the honor but for the greater glory of being united with God in heaven. May we be open to Gods will always, surrender to Gods plan, to take up our crosses and place them at the feet of Jesus.

As another wise priest once said in a homily:

"do not climb down our crosses to be comfortable, but, to climb up our crosses and embrace them. The cross is where we will meet Jesus!"

As well, as in a great song the lyrics read:

"We fall down and get up, we fall down and get up, we fall down and get up. And the saints are just the sinners who fall down and get up."

No one person is perfect, only God is perfect. We all fall, but it's when we get back up we grow closer to God.

Catholictothecore

[quote name='Chorusgirl' date='Feb 13 2005, 01:58 PM'] I desire so greatly to one day be in heaven, but only God truly knows for only God truly judges. Until I do part this world, I want to be as close to God as possible. A priest once told me that I musn't focus so greatly on my sins because then I will miss the beauty around me. When I open my eyes I see Christ in others, I feel Gods unconditional love. When I open up to Gods will I feel at peace and filled with joy.

I really don't know what to say, this is simply just how I feel.

May Gods will be done, may we desire to become saints not for the honor but for the greater glory of being united with God in heaven. May we be open to Gods will always, surrender to Gods plan, to take up our crosses and place them at the feet of Jesus.

[/quote]
Yeah, since I realized that serving God is becoming more like Christ to glorify the Father, with the Spirit as our strength, life has been...peaceful. Hard, but peaceful.

I had a thought on Ash Wednesday that I'd like to share. I was doing the Hours of the Passion, and it stresses so much uniting your will to Jesus obedience to God the Father. The thought was "When I unite my suffrings, i.e, school, work, surrendering to my own will, Christ takes them as his own and offers them to the Father. When that happens, my suffering become Christs. So, my sufferings in way end. I have no reson to be depressed by doing God's will. I may be unhappy sometimes, but I've no reason to disobey." It was awesome!

Another good song is "What if I give all." I forget who sings in, but it's about a little boy on his birthday. He hears a preacher talk about the need to feed the hungry, and he offers one of his dollars from his present. He asks his mother how many people would have food if he gave all three? His all? I love that song. That's what I want to do.