An Old School Catholic Message Board

Middle Of The Road Communities

Lilllabettt

PhuturePriest

Yes, I know that. My comment was tongue in cheek :alien: You're taking posts serious now, wow :elvis:

I have my moments of momentary seriousness. It's usually at those times where I give uncharacteristically amazing advice and wisdom.

Catherine Therese

Help stop the tyranny of female-onlyism in Vocation Station.

The frequency of distinct female users occurring in the set "Vocation Station participants" is indirectly proportionate to the frequency of distinct female users occurring in the set "Minions of Death."

Yes. I can see how that's tyrannical. 

Catherine Therese

The frequency of distinct female users occurring in the set "Vocation Station participants" is indirectly proportionate to the frequency of distinct female users occurring in the set "Minions of Death."

Yes. I can see how that's tyrannical. 

This egg tastes good on my face.

Apparently there are now 5 Phemale mods.

Credo in Deum

Hey, keep it on topic or else this thread will soon be known as: "End of the Road Communities". ;)

OnlySunshine

I'm still trying to find "middle of the road" communities.  I'm sure there are more out there.  :)

PhuturePriest

The phorks in your photo are making me phearphul.

They're not forks, they're sais. They're a Japanese weapon.

OnlySunshine

I can't help but wonder if the Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma, MI qualify.  When I visited them in 2011, they were more forgiving of mental disorders if they were controlled by medication because they had psychiatrist and psychologists amongst their Sisters.  Also, each one of their formation stages is housed in a different convent within the same city.  Once you move from postulancy to novitiate, you moved to a different formation house.  They are professional Sisters - many of them doctors but they have administrators, psychologists, teachers, etc.  However, their liturgy is traditional and they use quite a bit of Latin in the Divine Office and sometimes in the Mass.  They have several professed houses scattered around the country and some outside the US with a handful living in each convent.  The professed convent I visited in Saginaw after the retreat only had 7 Sisters living there at a time.

From their website:

An essential characteristic of the charism of the Religious Sisters of Mercy is the way in which we are called to integrate the demands inherent in our call to higher education and professional excellence with the fullness of our vowed life lived in community. This process of integration creates a paradox which expresses itself in each Sister's striving for the highest level of professional performance while simultaneously imitating her Divine Spouse in humble obedience.

The tensions created by this paradox express themselves in the professional, psychological and spiritual demands that this life entails. Accordingly, each Sister is challenged to enter into a process of self-awareness leading to self-governance so that she can give herself freely and fruitfully in service to the poor, sick and ignorant.

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Lilllabettt

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't characterize them as "middle of the road."

Very sane, yes, but I would put them in the traditional category.

My understanding is they have a more conservative idea of what religious life should look like  -- stricter definition of religious decorum, for example. More emphasis on being "proper."  They have what I would consider a full habit. On the other hand, I have no doubt their formation is especially good at integrating the principles of psychology. Close call, but traditional in my estimation.

Its difficult to pin down isn't it.

OnlySunshine

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't characterize them as "middle of the road."

Very sane, yes, but I would put them in the traditional category.

My understanding is they have a more conservative idea of what religious life should look like  -- stricter definition of religious decorum, for example. More emphasis on being "proper."  They have what I would consider a full habit. On the other hand, I have no doubt their formation is especially good at integrating the principles of psychology. Close call, but traditional in my estimation.

Its difficult to pin down isn't it.

Yes, it is.  They were different in a sense because they were more open to different kinds of women.  But I can see how they would be more traditional than, say, the SCCs because they are a reform of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas. 

The order that founded Newman University in Kansas is still in existence. They are modern, yet they follow the company line. Adorers of the Sacred Blood.

brandelynmarie

Any thoughts on contemplative communities that would be considered middle-of-the road?

Edited by brandelynmarie

OnlySunshine

Any thoughts on contemplative communities that would be considered middle-of-the road?

That would probably be even trickier to figure out since they don't have active apostolates.  :blush:

The only ones I can think of right now would be 2nd Federation Visitation Monasteries already listed like Georgetown and Brooklyn (and the like).

Edited by MaterMisericordiae