An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

awyers

Has anyone visited or discerned with the Sisters of Life?? My SD asked me, under obedience, to get in touch with them, yikes!

she_who_is_not

I'm seriously considering discerning with them, but, as usual I'm scared to make contact. I have so much student loan debt, I question the practicality of discerning right now.

laetitia crucis

I've visited the Sisters of Life and thought they were quite awesome! :smokey:

I found them to be quite Dominican in their "semi-contemplative"-ness. (Which is quite understandable given their beginnings. ;) ) And well, if you believe you are called to the semi-contemplative vocation AND pro-life work, then I'd definitely recommend checking them out!

I believe Sr. Antonia is the current Vocation Director -- she's FABULOUS! Very easy to talk to and just all together lovely. :love:

Seven 77 on Phatmass, his sister is the Sisters for Life, there was a recent EWTN show with the Sisters, Here is a link to the Youtube video, I'll also embed it if I know how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGRAX_xGDw

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhGRAX_xGDw[/media]

TeresaBenedicta

Love them!! I haven't discerned with them myself, but I have visited them as part of a nun-run (and they've visited my school twice) and they're WONDERFUL!!! Love them so much!!! If I were called to strictly pro-life work, I know where I'd be :D. I highly recommend talking with them... Their vocation director is simply [i]wonderful[/i] and very easy to talk to (as is her assistant).

SD's obedience, eh? Not to scare you away or anything, but my SD did the same thing with what is now the community I'm going to enter (although when is another question, haha). Beware!! :cool:

[quote name='she_who_is_not' date='23 July 2010 - 11:31 AM' timestamp='1279895470' post='2146764']
I'm seriously considering discerning with them, but, as usual I'm scared to make contact. I have so much student loan debt, I question the practicality of discerning right now.
[/quote]

For a long time I stayed away from contacting communities or really going forward with my discernment precisely because of student loan debt. My advice? Just ignore that fact for the time being, it'll be something you can deal with later on in the discernment process. Contact communities, visit with them, and discern where you think God is calling you to enter (even if it isn't [i]right now[/i]). If you find the community and you apply, you'll probably find that 99.9% of them require you to pay off the debt before actually entering. But there's some positives to being accepted somewhere:

A) You can apply to the funds that help with student loan debt-- Mater Ecclessiea and the Laboure Society. I think both require a letter from your future community saying you've been accepted on condition of paying off your student loans.

B) God works in mysterious ways and can send donors to help you with your financial difficulties. The generosity of people for those wanting to enter religious life is pretty amazing.

C) While it's terrible to have to wait, let me tell you from experience, it's a [i]great[/i] motivator to work on paying the loans off yourself. I'm basically in that situation right now. I've been accepted with a community but have to deal with my student loan debt first. I've been blessed by a few donors that have helped out, but I still have a pretty large amount to pay off. I've just been hired for a full-time job and now I can start aggressively paying off my student loans myself. And maybe it's just me, but knowing that I have a specific place to go when I finish is a lot of help. Not only does it help keep me from despair in this situation (which, I admit, I still sometimes fall into), but also, I think if I didn't have a [i]specific[/i] goal, I would probably be less aggressive in paying off my loans.

Just a few thoughts. I've been there, (I [i]am[/i] there) it's a tough place to be. But God is good and He takes care of His little ones. Here's a little something my friend sent me when I was getting really down about not being able to enter due to student loans:

[i]"Thy will be done"
To a young woman prevented from becoming a nun
---------------------
Mademoiselle,

You should resign yourself entirely into the hands of the good God, who, when you have done your little duty about this inspiration and design that you have, will be pleased with whatever you do, even if it be much less. In a word, you must have courage to do everything to become a religious, since God gives you such a desire. But if after all your efforts you cannot succeed you could not please our Lord more than by sacrificing to Him your will, and remaining in tranquility, humility, and devotion, entirely conformed and submissive to His divine will and good pleasure. You will recognize this clearly enough when, having done your best, you cannot fulfill your desires.

For our good God sometimes tries our courage and our love, depriving us of the things that seem to us, and which really are, very good for the soul. And if He sees us ardent in their pursuit, and yet humble, tranquil, and resigned to doing without and to the privation of the thing sought, He gives us blessings greater in the privation than in the possession o f the thing desired. For in all things and everywhere, God loves those who with good heart and simplicity, on all occasions and in all events, can say to Him, "Thy will be done"

Your humble servant,
Francis[/i]

Recordare Virgo

[quote][/quote][quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='23 July 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1279904118' post='2146817']

[i]"Thy will be done"
To a young woman prevented from becoming a nun
---------------------
Mademoiselle,

You should resign yourself entirely into the hands of the good God, who, when you have done your little duty about this inspiration and design that you have, will be pleased with whatever you do, even if it be much less. In a word, you must have courage to do everything to become a religious, since God gives you such a desire. But if after all your efforts you cannot succeed you could not please our Lord more than by sacrificing to Him your will, and remaining in tranquility, humility, and devotion, entirely conformed and submissive to His divine will and good pleasure. You will recognize this clearly enough when, having done your best, you cannot fulfill your desires.

For our good God sometimes tries our courage and our love, depriving us of the things that seem to us, and which really are, very good for the soul. And if He sees us ardent in their pursuit, and yet humble, tranquil, and resigned to doing without and to the privation of the thing sought, He gives us blessings greater in the privation than in the possession o f the thing desired. For in all things and everywhere, God loves those who with good heart and simplicity, on all occasions and in all events, can say to Him, "Thy will be done"

Your humble servant,
Francis[/i]
[/quote][quote][/quote]

That is so beautifully written. Thank you for sharing it.

I finally called the Sisters of Life and Sr. Antoniana, the vocations director, is on retreat in preparation for final vows and get this......it is a 30 day retreat! How wonderful for her. We should keep her in prayer as she prepares for her final vows on Aug 6. As an aside, you can watch the mass and ceremony live by going to the website for St John the Evangelist Church in Stamford CT and click on the live mass link in the upper left hand corner of the main page. What a great idea!

Sr. Mariam, the vocations assistant, is great to talk to if anyone is wanting to call them.

I attended the vows of the Sisters of Life last summer (it was a beautiful ceremony!) and I have visited them in NYC as well. They are a wonderful group of women, and I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to visit them. I mean, I realize it's a little more nervewracking when you are trying to contact a group as part of discernment, but hanging out with the Sisters of Life is just fun! ;)

I know a few guys who would love to discern a vocation with them, but alas.... ;) ;) ;)

I was a postulant for the Sisters of Life in the 90s. They're an amazing group of women. I loved how they were semi-contemplative, with a full prayer life. One of the things Mother Agnes always said was that how can anyone be of service to God's people when their own spiritual tank was empty? Therefore, prayer is more important than apostolate... or prayer is ANOTHER apostolate.

When I was there, they were just starting, so we had just started cleaning our second convent to ready it for living. Now of course, there are many more than that, and they are even in Canada! God has blessed Cardinal O'Connor's little group of 'faithful women' (as he called them one Sunday when we were at Mass at St. Patrick's).

If you are called to the Sisters of Life, you are blessed indeed. Good luck and prayers on your journey!

• 1 year later...

Hello,
This is the first forum where I have seen any mention of the sisters of life. I feel like God may be calling me to this order but I don't know if they can even consider me because I have gluten intolerance. I contacted a different order the other day but they said that my gluten intolerance would block me from becoming a religious with them. I was crushed because of what this would mean with other orders. So far I have though I was not made for this life but my soul keeps coming back to this. I realize that this thread was created a few years ago but any insight would be greatly appreciated! :saint2:

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Annie12' timestamp='1329260762' post='2387126']
Hello,
This is the first forum where I have seen any mention of the sisters of life. I feel like God may be calling me to this order but I don't know if they can even consider me because I have gluten intolerance. I contacted a different order the other day but they said that my gluten intolerance would block me from becoming a religious with them. I was crushed because of what this would mean with other orders. So far I have though I was not made for this life but my soul keeps coming back to this. I realize that this thread was created a few years ago but any insight would be greatly appreciated! :saint2:
[/quote]

There are lots of other people discerning with these sisters--lurkers and active members...or at least active members who like these sisters a lot! I'd email the VD as ask about dietary restrictions. Mendicant orders(those like the CFRs or I think the Poor Clares), might have different policies since they rely completely on donations. However, other orders might not have the same policies because they aren't mendicant. I've heard their VD is super nice(all of them are, really) and really easy to talk to(again, all VDs are!), so just send an email or leave a message on their voicemail.

Prayers for you!

I talked with their VD once and she was wonderful!
As far as having some sort of medical issue don't think just because one community won't accept you that means all communities won't. I'm on a medication and a couple of communities have told me straight away that they wouldn't accept me, yet others have told me that they would be able to potentially accept me, meds and all. The only way you can know though is by asking.
Think of your gluten intolerance as a "tool" in your discernment. God isn't going to call you to a community that won't accept you. I have found it as a fast way to "rule out" communities so I can continue moving forward in my discernment.
Prayers for you as you discern!

franciscanheart

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1329267601' post='2387210']
There are lots of other people discerning with these sisters--lurkers and active members...or at least active members who like these sisters a lot! I'd email the VD as ask about dietary restrictions. Mendicant orders(those like the CFRs or I think the Poor Clares), might have different policies since they rely completely on donations. However, other orders might not have the same policies because they aren't mendicant. I've heard their VD is super nice(all of them are, really) and really easy to talk to(again, all VDs are!), so just send an email or leave a message on their voicemail.

Prayers for you!
[/quote]
The VD is VERY kind and loving, and she certainly would be gentle with you should she need to tell you that you wouldn't be able to enter with them. Trust God and fill out the form. She can let you know very soon if they will be able to accept you as a potential candidate!

I haven't ever visited these Sisters before. I've considered them but I've never really been involved in a whole lot of pro-life work. These Sisters are going to be in my city soon for a convention and I'm so excited to meet them. Religious are pretty much amazing. Prayers for you as you continue in your discernment!