An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life

awyers

[quote name='MessorCarus' timestamp='1329546021' post='2388878']
I haven't ever visited these Sisters before. I've considered them but I've never really been involved in a whole lot of pro-life work. These Sisters are going to be in my city soon for a convention and I'm so excited to meet them. Religious are pretty much amazing. Prayers for you as you continue in your discernment!
[/quote]

They are AMAZING! I'd join their community if I was able because I truly feel that their apostolate is worthwhile, especially in our culture today. I love that they follow the Rule of St. Augustine. I'm an Augustinian at heart. ;)

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1329267601' post='2387210']
There are lots of other people discerning with these sisters--lurkers and active members...or at least active members who like these sisters a lot! I'd email the VD as ask about dietary restrictions. Mendicant orders(those like the CFRs or I think the Poor Clares), might have different policies since they rely completely on donations. However, other orders might not have the same policies because they aren't mendicant. I've heard their VD is super nice(all of them are, really) and really easy to talk to(again, all VDs are!), so just send an email or leave a message on their voicemail.

Prayers for you!
[/quote]
I went on their website an could not find an email address. Is there one for the VD? I am very eager to find out!
Thank you so much!

Edited by Annie12

Annie,

If you fill out the form on their website [url="http://sistersoflife.org/vocations/vocational-inquiry-form"](here)[/url], Sr. Antoniana will email you and will be able to answer all of your questions.

Be not afraid! You will be in my prayers :)

Because I love Him

I looovvveeeee the Sisters of Life and just found this amazing video on them!!!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=CA#/watch?v=MvdOb1x0OAY

MarysLittleFlower

I love the Sisters of Life :) I went on their retreat, one of my friends became a Sister with them, and I found them all to be so joyful/wonderful people. I'm not discerning particularly with them at the moment but I really like them and their charism.

By the way, we need to pray for them because their order is now threatened by the HHS mandate! :( I read about this a while ago, apparently if the mandate is put into place, this would basically be like trying to force them to violate their vows of protecting the unborn. Please pray for them that this would not happen.

franciscanheart

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1330157293' post='2392787']
I love the Sisters of Life :) I went on their retreat, one of my friends became a Sister with them, and I found them all to be so joyful/wonderful people. I'm not discerning particularly with them at the moment but I really like them and their charism.

By the way, we need to pray for them because their order is now threatened by the HHS mandate! :( I read about this a while ago, apparently if the mandate is put into place, this would basically be like trying to force them to violate their vows of protecting the unborn. Please pray for them that this would not happen.
[/quote]
Excuse my ignorance, but how does the mandate do such a thing? (Please do not my scandalized by my question! I do not support the mandate, but do not see the direct connection between it and the Sisters being "forced" to violate their vows.

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1330186102' post='2392850']
Excuse my ignorance, but how does the mandate do such a thing? (Please do not my scandalized by my question! I do not support the mandate, but do not see the direct connection between it and the Sisters being "forced" to violate their vows.
[/quote]

They take a special vow to protect and enhance the sacredness of human life. They made a [url="http://sistersoflife.org/response-to-hhs-mandate"]statement[/url] about the mandate.

Extract:
[quote]Our special fourth vow, made in a solemn and sacred ceremony and binding on us in conscience and in the laws of the Church, is at the heart of our identity as a religious community, and is a profound expression of the religious and spiritual commitment of each of our Sisters. This new rule pays no heed to our right to live according to our vows. Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act each of us will be required by law to obtain health insurance, or face fines. Since this HHS mandate will require every insurer to include abortion-inducing drugs, sterilization, and artificial contraception, we will not be able to obtain any coverage that is free from those “services,” and we will be forced to pay for them directly. Since we are neither employers, nor employees, of any religious institution, we cannot even take advantage of the “religious exemption” contained in the new regulations or the “compromise.”

As a result, this mandate would coerce each and every individual Sister of Life to betray her religious vows. We will be forced to pay for “services” that attack human life and deny the truth and beauty of human sexuality. This would directly contradict our special religious vow to “to protect and enhance the sacredness of human life,” and go against everything we believe in and have devoted our lives to. To us, it would be comparable to a law requiring a spouse to violate their marriage vows — an unthinkable intrusion upon a sacred promise.[/quote]

franciscanheart

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1330187669' post='2392855']
They take a special vow to protect and enhance the sacredness of human life. They made a [url="http://sistersoflife.org/response-to-hhs-mandate"]statement[/url] about the mandate.

Extract:
[/quote]
Ah- that makes sense. Thank you!