An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Mormons Came Today!

mulls

well, two young mormon missionaries stopped by today, and i invited them in to understand first-hand how whacky they are.

and let me tell you...they're wacky! :lol:

the problem is, to the average shmuck, their little presentation sounded pretty good...they quoted the bible accurately and with ease (by accurately i mean smoothly, in context and without messing up). but then i started drilling them with questions about their theology, which they don't usually get into until later in a series of 6 different presentations they try to make in hope of converting you. they got noticeably uncomfortable when they saw my reaction to their belief of 3 separate resting places when you die (something like the "sun world" "stars world" and "moon world" or something like that..."sun world" is the best because that's where God is).

i dialogued with them for about an hour, then laid down my beliefs for them, all of which they heard before and were ready to debate about. all in all it was a pleasant conversation, and they left me their weird little book and i plan on reading it.

I actually believe God was behind this little visit...I realized how unprepared I was to defend my faith to people who had a solid background in some other religion, as opposed to just witnessing to people who have never touched a bible. It showed me that I really really need to spend more time studying the Word. It was a smack upside my head.

I love how God works.

Edited by mulls

God Conquers

Good for you mulls! That's great, following the spirit, standing up for your faith and learning more yourself! Good luck brother!

well that's amesome Mulls.....in my family, we don't like the mormon religion b/c my mom's cousin Laura was converted when she just turned 18, married a mormon man, & moved to California, I haven't seen her in about 15 years. SHe is deaf, & her husband is deaf also.....I believe, & I've told my mom this, that maybe it was for the best...she found someone she loves, & maybe it was Gods plan...that's who she's supposed to be with. Well she told me this....."Amanda, she left when she was 19, to California, when she lived in NY all her life, then moved with us to Florida. She has also been a devout catholic all her life. We haven't seen her in 15 years, & it was only last year when we heard from her in 10 years. They took her off to Cali, & it seems like she can't talk to us any more b/c we're Catholic. I don't know but that's a alittle weird.

I'm glad you got something good out of it. Personally I have NOTHING against mormons, one of my closest friends is mormon, but I agree it is a strange religion!. I too want to know amore & more about my faith, but sometimes reading the Bible just doesn't catch my attention. Not b/c it's the Bible, but b/c I HATE reading!

littleflower+JMJ

God definitly uses those kind of moments to wake us up and to show us how much we have been lazy or slacking....

many many times ppl would come to me, and its soo awful when you have to say, "i don't know", because of a failure on your part...i've been guilty of that many times...

but i think we have to do is just learn from that time and be double ready and prepared for next time......

:lol: those darn mormons! when they knock, it could very well be God himself making sure we are all checking our stuff!

ryanmeyersmusic

i've always been amazed at how hard mormons work for conversion, though... it's actually very admirable, even though it's sad... just think if every christian devoted a FULL YEAR, just one, to actively spreading their faith... that would be earth-shattering.

IcePrincessKRS

A few months ago I had some Mormons (or maybe they were JWs, but I think Mormons... it was a man and a little boy) come to my door. I had 3 friends visiting and we were all still in our pajamas, it was still pretty early in the morning (I don't think I have ever had them come to the door that early, it was like 7 or 8 am)... He didn't stick around or ask to come in, I think he was embarassed when he saw he had caught us like that. lol

i've always been amazed at how hard mormons work for conversion, though...  it's actually very admirable, even though it's sad...  just think if every christian devoted a FULL YEAR, just one, to actively spreading their faith...  that would be earth-shattering.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Whenever I see them riding their bikes down the road, I gotta pray that God would be with them and bless them...their efforts are amazing!!!

If there's 2 things we can take from the Mormon community it's these:

1. Evangelization is key and should be a TOP priority

2. Family VERY important

A beautiful people they are, indeed....just a bit "misguided" :P

Katholikos

Mulls,

shmuck,

Are you aware that this is a very obscene (Yiddish) word?

their little presentation sounded pretty good...they quoted the bible accurately and with ease (by accurately i mean smoothly, in context and without messing up).

How could you tell? How well do you know the Bible?

i dialogued with them for about an hour, then laid down my beliefs for them, all of which they heard before and were ready to debate about. all in all it was a pleasant conversation, and they left me their weird little book and i plan on reading it.

Is their "weird little book" the Book of Mormon?

I actually believe God was behind this little visit...I realized how unprepared I was to defend my faith to people who had a solid background in some other religion, as opposed to just witnessing to people who have never touched a bible. It showed me that I really really need to spend more time studying the Word. It was a smack upside my head.

Mulls, the error here is the presumption that Christianity is based upon the Bible. It isn't. The Bible as we know it didn't exist until the beginning of the fifth century. The Catholic Church, upon which Christianity was built (Mt 16:18-19), is based on the Apostles and the Prophets (Ephesians 2:19-20), and is "the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth" (1 Tm 3:15). The Church was nearly 400 years old when she canonized the contents of the OT and NT and formed the Bible. Sola Scriptura, the supporting doctrine of all Protestantism, was invented by Martin Luther in the 16th century.

You should study the history of Christianity and the history of the Bible written by an accredited historian from a real academic university and not by a graduate of some Bible college, as well as the Bible itself, to prepare for the return of your guests.

Katholikos

Edited by Katholikos

Kilroy the Ninja

I think what people need to remember before they praise the Mormons on their evangilazations is that Mormons ARE NOT CHRISTIAN.

Let me repeat that for those of us who refuse to believe it...

MORMONS ARE NOT CHRISTIAN.

Katholikos

I think what people need to remember before they praise the Mormons on their evangilazations is that Mormons ARE NOT CHRISTIAN.

You are absolutely keeeeeeerect, Ninja.

Mormons are polytheists (they believe in many gods); Jews and Christians are monotheists (we believe in one God).

They believe God is a flesh and blood man.

They believe God had physical intercourse with the Virgin Mary and the resulting child was Jesus Christ.

They believe that Jesus and Satan are brothers.

They believe that when the men die, if they were faithful Mormons, and obeyed the precepts such as tithing and serving the missions, they will become gods and rule their own planets.

Their wives, who have been "sealed" to them in the temple, get to live on this planet with their husband-god (if they're lucky).

I could go on ... and on ... and on ...

I recommend:

http://www.petersnet.net/browse/1330/htm

Isaiah Bennett - The Mormon Christ

http://www.ewtn.com/library/answers/insidtem.htm

Isaiah Bennett - Inside A Mormon Temple

http://www/famtrad.com/author_ae.htm

Isaiah Bennett - Mormon family traditions; what Mormons really believe

Bennett was a priest who became a Mormon and reconverted to the One True Church.

You can search under Isaiah Bennett and find more.

I know this...

However, I wouldn't change my previous statements...

MORight2Life

Dude! :) That's just messed up...

Here's a humorous story that happened to me. I was home alone one day (a rarity in my household of 8 children), when two mormons showed up on my doorstep. Naturally, I didn't want to answer the door, since I was the only one home. However, I opened the door and we exchanged greetings. One made a comment about our St. Joseph statue on the doorstep, and another about Our Lady of Fatima on the holy water font. In all seriousness, I said, "Oh! That reminds me! It's just about noon, and I need to say the Angelus. And after that, I need to pray the sorrowful mysteries." (The Mormons exchanged anything-but-discreet glances.) I pretended not to notice, and continued, "Just a second! I'll go get two extra rosaries, and I'll teach you!" lol_grin.gif I left them on the poorch, and grabbed two rosaries from our mantle. It couldn't have taken more than 10 seconds, but when I got back to the door, they were running down the driveway! :) Now, we're off their "hit list," because whenever we see them coming down our street, they come to the house to the left of us, and the house to the right of us, but look straight ahead when passing our house.....

Be God's!

-Michelle :)

Hahahaa...that's great Michelle..whoo...good times, good times.

My driveway is extremely long, so neither the JW's nor the Mormons care to stop by.

nippy316