An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Christian Charity

Lilllabettt

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1316264233' post='2305798']
Joyful, it might be best to find out most of this from their Vocation Director. If you went up and said "I heard from a bunch of people on the internet that you support/don't support this-and-that", they might be hurt or offended. As fantastic as Lilllabettt is and the others are, I think much of this information should be heard from the community first, and then you can decide if you want to discern [i]with[/i] their community... instead of "discerning about" them from what you've heard. I hope this doesn't come off harsh as that's not my intention at all. I'm praying for you and am so excited that you have made these contacts! Please let us know how it progresses. :)
[/quote]

That's great advice, Lisa. When I contacted one Benedictine community, I had read things on their website that caused me a little confusion, so I asked them straight out about what I thought it meant, and they were great in replying to me and letting me know how they saw things. In fact, after our communication, we both felt that they weren't the right community for me (or I for them) but none of us felt bad about it afterwards. Honesty and openness can really be great in discernment!

The SCC's taught my children when we lived in Illinois. There most beautiful motherhouse was located there in Wilmette. It has a junior college attached to it as well as the retirement home for the older sisters. They had to close it and had an auction of all the wonderful antique furniture. We were fortunate enough to be able to buy some wonderful pieces and save them from who knows what. The day of the auction we heard some women talking about how lovely a wooden tabernacle would be if it were made into a jewelry box! Almost thought I'd throttle them on the spot. Quite a few of the SCC left to join the Sisters of Life, but I'm still in contact with my kids old principal who left the order and is now a college professor.

When I say they are not limited,I don't mean they include secular ideas. I mean they do not limit thier embrace of Catholic teaching the way many Catholic circles do -- to either Church teaching on abortion/marriage or the preferential option for the poor/social justice. Conservative Catholic groups do a lot with the Liturgy, with right to life, with sexual ethics, but not so much with social justice. Liberal groups like the social enyclicals, but ignore Humanae Vitae.

This community is not like that. They embrace all parts of Catholic teaching, not just the parts that agree with their personal political persuasions. The diversity comes in because some Sisters march at the School of the Americas and some go to the March for Life. The community accepts this diversity

There is also in my opinion more in this community of that freedom of thought that makes Catholicism so wonderful. To give you a negative example, in my former community Harry Potter was very much condemned as Satanic. I did not think it was, but it was out of the question, (At least as far as I was concerned- Keep in mind I was a very junior Sister) - for me to express that disagreement. Even though there is nothing unorthodox about being okay with Harry Potter. With the SCC's, I feel I would be comfortable saying "I disagree." There is just a different atmosphere.

Now - do the Sisters disagree about the Eucharist? about Our Lady? No. But do they disagree about pantaloons vs skirts, the truth of evolution, global warming, etc? With the use of Latin? Altar girls? Communion-in-the-hand? Probably. Most of the younger Sisters are very traditionally-minded. But when I was there I was with the Sisters in formation, looking at some old community photos that included the old, traditional habit. While most of those present said we would like that one, one of the postulants pointed out how much harder it would be to drive and said she much preferred the modified habit. No one looked askance at her and there was no awkwardness or "oh my gosh"ness about the fact that there was disagreement.

Edited by Lilllabettt

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1316286232' post='2305904']
When I say they are not limited,I don't mean they include secular ideas. I mean they do not limit thier embrace of Catholic teaching the way many Catholic circles do -- to either Church teaching on abortion/marriage or the preferential option for the poor/social justice. Conservative Catholic groups do a lot with the Liturgy, with right to life, with sexual ethics, but not so much with social justice. Liberal groups like the social enyclicals, but ignore Humanae Vitae.

This community is not like that. They embrace all parts of Catholic teaching, not just the parts that agree with their personal political persuasions. The diversity comes in because some Sisters march at the School of the Americas and some go to the March for Life. The community accepts this diversity

There is also in my opinion more in this community of that freedom of thought that makes Catholicism so wonderful. To give you a negative example, in my former community Harry Potter was very much condemned as Satanic. I did not think it was, but it was out of the question, (At least as far as I was concerned- Keep in mind I was a very junior Sister) - for me to express that disagreement. Even though there is nothing unorthodox about being okay with Harry Potter. With the SCC's, I feel I would be comfortable saying "I disagree." There is just a different atmosphere.

Now - do the Sisters disagree about the Eucharist? about Our Lady? No. But do they disagree about pantaloons vs skirts, the truth of evolution, global warming, etc? With the use of Latin? Altar girls? Communion-in-the-hand? Probably. Most of the younger Sisters are very traditionally-minded. But when I was there I was with the Sisters in formation, looking at some old community photos that included the old, traditional habit. While most of those present said we would like that one, one of the postulants pointed out how much harder it would be to drive and said she much preferred the modified habit. No one looked askance at her and there was no awkwardness or "oh my gosh"ness about the fact that there was disagreement.
[/quote]

I really like the way you explain this.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote] quote IgnatiusofLoyola, on 31 July 2010 - 02:21 AM, said:

They don't have an explicit "political" alignment.

Their formation programs incorporate more recent advances in understanding of psychology[/quote]

To Joyful Life:

The quote above was attributed to me in your earlier post, but I have no recollection of saying those things. Since the post was apparently made a year ago, I'd have to go back through search and and find my post (if it still exists). If indeed those lines show up in my post, all I can figure is that they are quotes from somewhere else (but I don't know where). I'm not sure if the Phatmass Search function is working again, but when I have a chance, I'll try to track down what happened.

In the meantime, I want to clarify that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea of the political views of the Order. All I have ever seen is the information on the SCC Web sites for the Eastern and Western Provinces of the U.S., available to anyone, about the Order's Social Action Initiatives. I have never talked to any of the Sisters about this--the subject of politics has never come up.

Second, I have NO firsthand information AT ALL about what the SCC formation program is like, again, beyond what is posted on their Web site. I live near the headquarters of the Western Province of the SCCs, but new Sisters go through formation at the Eastern Province headquarters, in New Jersey. As far as I know, the Western Province (which is much smaller) is primarily a convent for retired Sisters, as well as a number of (but I don't know exactly how many) active Sisters who teach at parochial schools in the Chicago area. As with politics, the subject of the formation program has never come up in any conversations I have had with the Sisters.

I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding. When I have a chance I will try to figure out what happened, just for my own peace of mind--but I may not be able to do so because it was a year ago. I do feel bad that anything attached to my name should have given you any concern about the SCC's.

I hope this helps.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1316374324' post='2306345']

To Joyful Life:

The quote above was attributed to me in your earlier post, but I have no recollection of saying those things. Since the post was apparently made a year ago, I'd have to go back through search and and find my post (if it still exists). If indeed those lines show up in my post, all I can figure is that they are quotes from somewhere else (but I don't know where). I'm not sure if the Phatmass Search function is working again, but when I have a chance, I'll try to track down what happened.

In the meantime, I want to clarify that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea of the political views of the Order. All I have ever seen is the information on the SCC Web sites for the Eastern and Western Provinces of the U.S., available to anyone, about the Order's Social Action Initiatives. I have never talked to any of the Sisters about this--the subject of politics has never come up.

Second, I have NO firsthand information AT ALL about what the SCC formation program is like, again, beyond what is posted on their Web site. I live near the headquarters of the Western Province of the SCCs, but new Sisters go through formation at the Eastern Province headquarters, in New Jersey. As far as I know, the Western Province (which is much smaller) is primarily a convent for retired Sisters, as well as a number of (but I don't know exactly how many) active Sisters who teach at parochial schools in the Chicago area. As with politics, the subject of the formation program has never come up in any conversations I have had with the Sisters.

I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding. When I have a chance I will try to figure out what happened, just for my own peace of mind--but I may not be able to do so because it was a year ago. I do feel bad that anything attached to my name should have given you any concern about the SCC's.

I hope this helps.
[/quote]

Okay, I found where the words in my quote come from. They are taken from a post made by Lillabettt on July 19, 2010 that is the start of a thread for VS posters to name any "Middle of the Road" communities they can think of. In her post, Lillabettt gave a GENERAL description of what a "middle of the road" community MIGHT be like, but was NOT describing the SCC's in particular. I can't get my computer to let me make a link to Lillibettt's post, so here is Lillabettt's general description of what a "Middle of the Road" community might be lke.

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:06 PM
"Let me see if I can describe what I mean:

These communities usually have a modified habit, and may or may not be members of the CMSWR. They don't have an explicit "political" alignment. Their formation programs incorporate more recent advances in understanding of psychology. Compared with more traditional communities, there are usually fewer restrictions on communication with people outside the community. There are fewer things which require the permission of a superior. The way they live religious life is not as "secret." There is less emphasis on the centrality of religious decorum ... on the other hand, these Sisters live in community, have some new vocations, are orthodox, practice devotions to Mary and the Eucharist, and have a traditional interpretation of the vows and of what a religious vocation is.

I'd like to make a list of communities that fit this bill ... kind of a challenge, because I think they fly pretty well under the radar (compared to say, the very popular "old school" communities and the very vocal "liberal" ones)."

I will let Lillabettt speak for herself, but as far as I can see, Lillabettt never used those two sentences to SPECIFICALLY describe the SCC's.

Also another clarification: In a later post in the "Middle of the Road" thread from last year, I mentioned that I had read on that SCC Web site that two "older" (probably over 40--but I never knew their exact ages--I was guessing ages from pictures and could easily be wrong) postulants were going through formation in the Western Province for a reason that was never given on the SCC Web site. However, since I posted that a year ago, I have never read anything else about these two postulants on the SCC Web site, such as whether they are still with the Order, whether they are still in the Western Province, or have moved to the East. If they were new postulants in 2010, I would have expected they would become novices this year, and all of the new novices in the picture Lillabettt posted recently appear to be in their 20's (but again, I have found that I have a VERY difficult time guessing ages of women in religious habits).

Hope this additional information helps.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

These sisters popped into my mind this evening at Mass. I visited them last year when I was living in Philadelphia, but haven't thought too much about them since I started medical school. But for some reason, the Holy Spirit placed them in my heart tonight.

I feel like the SCC are so perfect for me in so many ways...and that makes me wonder if it is truly God's will that I go there, or He wants something different from me. Does that make any sense to anyone? I am so afraid of choosing a community just because I like certain things about it, or because it would be convenient in some ways. Particularly, I like that this community is located close to my family and provides ample time for family visits. My mother is having a very difficult time with the thought of me entering religious life, and has specifically asked that I enter a community that would allow me to "still be part of our family", i.e. being able to visit often, speak on the phone, etc. I come from a very close-knit family. My mom and her four sisters all live within fifteen minutes of the town they grew up in, and I loved growing up with so many aunts and uncles and cousins around. It breaks my heart to think that my mother will feel like I am abandoning our family if I enter a community that provides more limited time for family visits...but I also know that to truly follow the will of God, that might be necessary. The Gospels are of course filled with stories of Jesus asking people to leave their families behind in order to follow Him. Recently I have been praying for the grace to offer everything to the Lord, in whatever way He asks, even if that means entering a community that might allow me to spend only a few days a year with my family.

But aside from my family issues, I also love that the SCC have such a strong devotion to the Eucharist, and also love their charism of true Christ-like love. I also love that they run Assumption College for Sisters at their Motherhouse in NJ, and educate dozens of women religious from around the world who otherwise would not be able to afford a college education. When I was at the Motherhouse, I found it so beautiful to see those sisters, from Africa and Vietnam and other countries, all dressed in their unique habits, receive the Eucharist at Mass, together with the SCC. It was like the universal Church was right there in NJ!

I guess the thing I have to discern is whether my attraction to the SCC truly lies in their charism and community life, or if it is based on the proximity to my family! Back to prayer for me.

Annyway, since you have so patiently read my ramblings here, I'll post some other pictures of the SCC, from the Diocese of Paterson's [url="http://www.consecratedlifepaterson.org/default.aspx"]Consecrated Life Blog[/url]:

[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/SCC120.jpg[/img]
[b]Sr. Mary Jose de la Rosa and Sr. Maria Angeline Weiss, who professed their first vows on August 16, 2011[/b]

[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/SCC18.jpg[/img]
[b]Temporary professed sisters who recently renewed their vows on August 14, 2011[/b]
[b]Left to right: Sr. Amy Segal, Sr. Elizabeth Kovacs, Sr. Karen Benfer, Sr. Clare Marie Nagle, Sr. Margaret Muchire, Sr. Celice Marie Gonzalez[/b]

[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/SCC16.jpg[/img]
[b]Formator Sr. Francis Tran with Sr. Clare Marie and Sr. Celice Marie (temporary professed sisters)[/b]

[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/SCC17.jpg[/img]
[b]Sr. Karen Marie and Sr. Margaret (temporary professed sisters)[/b]

[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/SCC51.jpg[/img]
[b]Sr. Maria Luisa Garcia Mansilla from the Uruguay province with Sr. Adalberta Mette, Superior General[/b]

+Pax Christi,
Sophia

One last picture!
[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/RJbell.jpg[/img]
[b]SCC novices and postulants play handbells during the 2011 Jubilee anniversary liturgy for 98 jubilarians from the diocese![/b]

They look like a beautiful community. I will definitely keep you in prayers. I understand all too well how hard it can be to trust the Lord's voice in your heart. As you continue to trust him and strive to live out his will for you, he will guide you.

Pax,
HB

[quote name='sophia13' timestamp='1317003575' post='2310222']
One last picture!
[img]http://www.patersondiocese.net/documents/RJbell.jpg[/img]
[b]SCC novices and postulants play handbells during the 2011 Jubilee anniversary liturgy for 98 jubilarians from the diocese![/b]
[/quote]

Ooooo, handbells! My aunt and uncle have played handbells at their Baptist church since I was a little wee thing. I've been to a Christmas concert and the bells are lovely. I wish they were used more. :)