An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Favorite Postulant Outfit

Margaret Mary

DiscerningCatholic

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't like the DSMME postulant garb all that much. :| I love the postulant habit(?) for the Trinitarians of Mary. :proud: 

The DSMME regular habit makes up for the 11 months in the postulant clothes. ;)

AveMariaPurissima

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't like the DSMME postulant garb all that much. :| I love the postulant habit(?) for the Trinitarians of Mary. :proud:

The DSMME regular habit makes up for the 11 months in the postulant clothes. ;)

I love it too! (no surprise, huh?)  I remember I was so excited to get my veil. (The aspirants wear the same jumper, but without the veil.  They do have a white mantilla for Mass, though.)

DiscerningCatholic

I love it too! (no surprise, huh?)  I remember I was so excited to get my veil. (The aspirants wear the same jumper, but without the veil.  They do have a white mantilla for Mass, though.)

Were you an OP?

Monastic Family of Bethlehem: Some shirt covered by navy blue hoodie, dark skirt/pants.

[URL=http://s813.photobucket.com/user/jesigler/media/MFBPostulants_zps46e1c80e.jpg.html]MFBPostulants_zps46e1c80e.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s813.photobucket.com/user/jesigler/media/MFBPostulant2_zps465922f3.jpg.html]MFBPostulant2_zps465922f3.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s813.photobucket.com/user/jesigler/media/MLBPostulants3_zps50dc6efd.jpg.html]MLBPostulants3_zps50dc6efd.jpg[/URL]

So human. Not like those ridikoolus jumpers! ;)

theirs are identical to the Community of St. John, although technically this is the "School of Life" stage which lasts for a year. they actually receive the Habit (though not with the full veil, but a simple one without the wimple/toque) when they enter postulancy which is two years. and then the novitiate is another two years. I just checked their vocation pamphlet. I'm not sure if they receive the full veil when they enter the novitiate or at First Vows. but for the community of St. John, as far as I remember, they do not have something called the postulancy, but go from School of Life to novitiate.

another Carmel with my favorite postulant outfit 

DSC01970.JPG

Rubio, Venezuela (1990 Constitutions) has many vocations, and they often send their Sisters to help at other monasteries especially in Spain 

theirs are identical to the Community of St. John, although technically this is the "School of Life" stage which lasts for a year. they actually receive the Habit (though not with the full veil, but a simple one without the wimple/toque) when they enter postulancy which is two years. and then the novitiate is another two years. I just checked their vocation pamphlet. I'm not sure if they receive the full veil when they enter the novitiate or at First Vows. but for the community of St. John, as far as I remember, they do not have something called the postulancy, but go from School of Life to novitiate.

Yeah, but technically, the "School of Life' is the first year, so I considered it equivalent to postulancy. Do you know if it's different in any way?

I don't know about a "veil", because hermits technically don't wear one. They have a hood. Their novices receive a black habit with a hood, instead of the finally professed white one, like Carthusian novices. I don't know if there's a wimple for the novices, though, like there is for the finally professed (a blue one).

Yeah, but technically, the "School of Life' is the first year, so I considered it equivalent to postulancy. Do you know if it's different in any way?

I just know that after the year they ask them to go home/back to the world for a time to think about it. then if they decide to come back they start their two year postulancy and receive the Habit and simple veil.

I don't know about a "veil", because hermits technically don't wear one. They have a hood. Their novices receive a black habit with a hood, instead of the finally professed white one, like Carthusian novices. I don't know if there's a wimple for the novices, though, like there is for the finally professed (a blue one).

I thought the Novices (and I think postulants, since it says they receive the Habit upon entrance to postulancy in the brochure) had the white Carthusian cowl too, like this. I haven't heard of them wearing a black Habit, just the navy blue hoodie for the School of Life. But maybe things changed since I visited them.

Kinderalm_5.jpg

sisterofbethlehem.jpg

edit to add: that simple veil when seen without the hood is actually like a large bandanna tied at the back

Edited by Chiquitunga

Is this for the contemplative sisters of St John or another community?

I know the Apostolic Sisters of St John do have postulancy which is 6-12 months (it varies based on the individual). And I have been told it is kind of in two stages. They wear a long dark colored skirt and simple modest tops. At the beginning of the second "stage" they recieve a "hoodie thing" (I forgot the actual name) which is the same fabric as the habit. http://www.soeursapostoliquesdesaintjean.com/index.php?action=page.prieure&id_prieure=1

You can see both in the top picture of the website.

Then when they begin the novitiate they recieve the habit but with the modified veil.

Is this for the contemplative sisters of St John or another community?

yeah, I mean the Contemplative Sisters of St. John. I think I remember them mentioning that they didn't actually have a postulancy stage, or one named that, but go from the School of Life to being clothed as Novices. this little description of their formation seems to suggest that too, http://www.communityofstjohn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57%3Aprinceville-sisters&catid=34%3Aprinceville&Itemid=54

whereas this description of the Apostolic Sisters' formation includes postulancy as you described it (with no School of Life) http://www.communityofstjohn.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66%3Aapostolic-sisters&catid=38%3Athe-community&Itemid=27&limitstart=2

so in a way, in seems like the Contemplative Sisters' School of Life is basically the equivalent of postulancy, whereas the School of Life for the Monastic Family of Bethlehem may be a little different, one reason being that the aspirant/discerner is asked to return home before coming back to begin postulancy, which Bethlehem has, and two full years of it!

Edited by Chiquitunga

genesisweavers

There is some information about the Monastic Sisters of Bethlehem in this thread that is not correct.  The first step (of course) is to simply come to the Monastery as a retreatant.  Then there is a period of aspirant.  While an aspirant the candidate is assigned a hermitage within the enclosure but she does not mingle with the community.  If that all goes well she is then admitted into a closer relationship with the community.  This phase is called - the School of Life.  At this time the candidate lives in a hermitage, sits in the Sisters' section of the church and she mingles with the community.  After that she will become a postulant.  During the postulancy she still wears her own clothing and over her own clothing she wears what they call the Mellot (sp?).  The Mellot is a navy blue garment that looks alot like a hoodie.  It comes down to the knees and of course has a hood (which is always worn up during her time in the church.  When the postulant becomes a novice she receives the habit (but not the veil).  This consists of a white tunic, a large rosary on her belt (the rosary is made of woolen yarn) a cuculla - which is fashioned after (but not identical to) the Carhtusian habit.  (Novices do not wear the black mantle as the Carthian novices and postulants do).  Also - the novice do not wear a veil - she wears a large bandana made from the same fabric as the Sisters' veil. 

When the novice is professed she is clothed again in the habit at the profession ceremony.  She appears in the church wearing only the white tunic with the belt and the bandana.  After she professes her vows the bandana is removed and her hair is cut, then two Sisters put the veil and guimpe on her head then the rosary and the cuculla.  I think this feature of the profession reflects their Byzantine style. 

There is some information about the Monastic Sisters of Bethlehem in this thread that is not correct.  The first step (of course) is to simply come to the Monastery as a retreatant.  Then there is a period of aspirant.  While an aspirant the candidate is assigned a hermitage within the enclosure but she does not mingle with the community.  If that all goes well she is then admitted into a closer relationship with the community.  This phase is called - the School of Life.  At this time the candidate lives in a hermitage, sits in the Sisters' section of the church and she mingles with the community.  After that she will become a postulant.  During the postulancy she still wears her own clothing and over her own clothing she wears what they call the Mellot (sp?).  The Mellot is a navy blue garment that looks alot like a hoodie.  It comes down to the knees and of course has a hood (which is always worn up during her time in the church.  When the postulant becomes a novice she receives the habit (but not the veil).  This consists of a white tunic, a large rosary on her belt (the rosary is made of woolen yarn) a cuculla - which is fashioned after (but not identical to) the Carhtusian habit.  (Novices do not wear the black mantle as the Carthian novices and postulants do).  Also - the novice do not wear a veil - she wears a large bandana made from the same fabric as the Sisters' veil. 

When the novice is professed she is clothed again in the habit at the profession ceremony.  She appears in the church wearing only the white tunic with the belt and the bandana.  After she professes her vows the bandana is removed and her hair is cut, then two Sisters put the veil and guimpe on her head then the rosary and the cuculla.  I think this feature of the profession reflects their Byzantine style. 

Thank you for clarifying this! Does anyone know how long the sisters send people home for after they have completed the School of Life? I was not aware that they do that...

There is some information about the Monastic Sisters of Bethlehem in this thread that is not correct.  The first step (of course) is to simply come to the Monastery as a retreatant.  Then there is a period of aspirant.  While an aspirant the candidate is assigned a hermitage within the enclosure but she does not mingle with the community.  If that all goes well she is then admitted into a closer relationship with the community.  This phase is called - the School of Life.  At this time the candidate lives in a hermitage, sits in the Sisters' section of the church and she mingles with the community.  After that she will become a postulant.  During the postulancy she still wears her own clothing and over her own clothing she wears what they call the Mellot (sp?). 

In the vocation brochure I have from them it says they receive the Habit at the beginning of postulancy. Perhaps it's a typo. It does seem odd, as I had never heard of that before. From what I remember during my time discerning with them, the women with the navy blue Mellot (never knew the name) were the ones in the School of Life, just like the Contemplative Sisters of St. John at that stage. 

yeah, the Novices just wear the blue bandanna, although I called it a simple veil. it falls in the back a little longer than an ordinary bandanna. I didn't know that though about their hair only being cut at First Profession when they receive the full veil with the guimpe. it sounds like you attended one of those ceremonies. that's awesome!! :like:

I'm not sure how long the discerner is asked to return home after the School of Life :think: