An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Favorite Postulant Outfit

Margaret Mary

genesisweavers

The Monastic Sisters of Bethlehem do not receive the habit at the beginning of postulancy.  They receive it at the beginning of their novitiate.  Yes I was at a Profession ceremony and like all of their liturgies it is a wonderful and prayerful experience.  I am a lay associate of Bethlehem and I have also been living at the Monastery in Livingston Manor for a little over a year. The Sisters are without a doubt the best people I have ever met.  Blessings. 

this is from one of their pamphlets from a few years back, maybe they changed the formation program since then though  :think: it's also written this way on their site, http://english.bethleem.org/les_etapes_de_la_vie_monastique.php  still may be dated though ... still maybe when they say habit they actually mean the navy blue long hoodie/Mellot 

2uzt74n.jpg

Thanks Genisis for the correction! It is interesting to see the similarities/differences between the various communities.

Mellot! That is the word I was looking for. I have no idea how to spell it either though.

genesisweavers

Peace to you + after I posted a response to your posts yesterday I had the exact same thought that you posted.  I think the confusion here is what they are calling the monastic habit.  And I think it this context the monastic habit is the mellot.  The Sisters continue to wear the mellot for the rest of their monastic life.  However the only time I have seen it is when the Sister has to leave the monastery property.  Their 'going out' habit is a light blue tunic (which matches the veil), the same veil and head covering and the navy blue mellot - and recently they added a brass cross worn over the mellot.  Currently there are three lay associates living at the Livingston Manor Monastery and we wear the mellot for the liturgy but our's is grey not navy. 

Praised be Jesus Christ! Happy Thanksgiving! Please forgive me, I feel kind of bad going back and forth with this :blush: but now I'm really confused. Genesis, is there any  way you can ask one of the Sisters themselves? (only if you get a chance though, like the Sister who helps with guests, she's very nice! :))  

I do remember the Sisters wearing the Mellot when they went out, so it would be part of their habit. But I still wonder if the "celebration of the clothing of the monastic habit" is just the Mellot. If so, it would seem they would also describe on their formation page the bigger step of receiving the Habit of St. Bruno that would begin with the novitiate. http://english.bethleem.org/les_etapes_de_la_vie_monastique.php

Some pictures from a clothing ceremony, http://sainte-liberte.over-blog.com/article-les-soeurs-de-bethleem-58359272.html  This seems more like a celebration of receiving the monastic habit. 

In this blog written by someone who seems to know the Sisters well, he seems to be referring to a couple in the back as those in the School of Life, who have the navy blue Mellot on (although one doesn't have the hood up, but I remember seeing that sometimes they don't always keep it up in church) http://sistersofbethlehem.blogspot.com/2010/10/inside-of-chapel.html

I remember them saying that when I discerned with them (that those in the Mellot were in the School of Life) but I still could be remembering wrong. I know for sure the Contemplative Sisters of St. John have their discerners in the School of Life wearing the navy blue Mellot, as I visited there several times and talked with many of the School of Lifers, lol for lack of a better term.

Anyway, not the end of the world if we don't reach a final conclusion here. Just wondering. God bless!

okay, I'm still awake and on phatmass blush.gif <- love that old emoticon, have it saved so I can quickly copy/paste and still use it

just noticed that blog mentions the School of Life again here, http://sistersofbethlehem.blogspot.com/2010/10/transfiguration.html and says they wear the melotte over secular clothing. genesis your spelling was very close!! (assuming this blog owner is spelling it right that is) also props to you for remembering the term!!

seeing that chapel and all the pictures on this blog brings back memories, as they are all from Les Montsvoirons where the Evangelical Month is :heart:

finally, in my searching I came upon this icon. looks like Our Lady is where a melotte just like theirs :like:

Laique-Sarepta-5.jpg