An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Start Rcia On Wednesday

eustace scrubb

eustace scrubb

I'm moving a couple miles from where I am now and there's a Catholic church just a couple of blocks from it. This weekend, I visited and asked them about RCIA. Turns out they're starting this week on Wednesday, so I signed up. WOO!!!!!!!! !!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That is AWESOME! Boy, I remember my RCIA days. I hope you have a good instructor and good material.

Prayers with you.

eustace scrubb

This is just in time, too, because I've been wrestling with a lot of doubt and confusion. Plus I'm dealing with a bunch of personal issues, so yeah...

Something I had wish I had known before and during and soon after RCIA, was just how dependent we are on Jesus in Confession and Holy Communion, to avoid sin, especially tough sins. I was doing so much on my own strength and struggling and blaming myself, not realizing that I needed to give it all over to Jesus. Also, I wish I had known more about the stages of conversion, and that in the beginning, you work on the big stuff, not expecting to be up with the advanced, working on imperfections and faults. Yiye!

I look on my past with so much more mercy and compassion as I realize how hard it was without Confession and Communion. And not to mention, without very good Catholics in my life.

Edited by JoyfulLife

Joyful's spot on. Without the sacraments my life would be ridiculously harder.

Anyways congratulations, make sure to ask as many questions in this period as you can and pray as much as you can. I cant wait till you come on here and tell us your baptized. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/dance.gif[/img]

Woot! I remember my first day, we had a pretty diverse group of people and had a great time! Sisters from Zimbabwe, the priest (a convert), and a layman (a convert) who had been teaching it for two decades were our team. I truly hope and pray that it goes well for you tonight! :)

And I reiterate what JoyfulLife said about once you can recieve the sacraments. I've been in a terrible funk recently, and went to Confession after six weeks the other day and I'm feeling surprisingly good!

eustace scrubb

Bad news:

It was terrible. Awful, really. The priest didn't like me, wasn't very knowledgeable, a number of the people clearly didn't want me there (which they showed by being mean, rude, and cold towards me in word, action and body language), the teaching was extremely weak and shallow, and they're only doing it... once a month...??? Plus virtually everyone there was 60 years old or more. I felt like I was at a judgmental, dying Baptist church or something. I left feeling very depressed.

Good news:

When I got home, I talked to my one Catholic friend who has time for me and we prayed together. I remembered that I had walked out of His will by going to RCIA at this parish because it was closer to where I'm moving to and therefore more convenient. But more than anything, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get to where I've been attending mass and He made clear that He wants me to attend RCIA. After repenting of that, I felt lighter. An overwhelming sense of peace came upon me and I felt a lot of hope. We went and had food at a place a couple blocks away and then went home. RCIA at the place I've been going to starts next month. I'm going to make a call tomorrow to sign up for it.
:)

little_miss_late

Hey, sorry to hear about your experience, but if you end up in the place where God has been leading you, I suppose it's for the best.

It may be that the teaching is "shallow" even in a good RCIA program though, if you're like me and spend Saturday nights talking about theology with involved, articulate people, obviously a weekly group of folks from all walks of life with different exposure to the Church is not going to engage you in quite the same way. I'm not going to lie, some of our RCIA discussions, especially in the beginning, were just boring to me... but I understand they had a purpose and probably most of the people in the room got a lot more out of them than I did.

On an interesting note, one of the members of the Church in which I had RCIA, had a friend that wanted RCIA but was unable to attend the weekly meetings. So he got permission to teach the friend outside of classes, using the print outs from classes. Also, there was another person I know that got permission to teach someone RCIA, and I believe with different material.

eustace scrubb

Yeah, I understand why the teaching is at the level it is. There's people there who are new to the idea of studying the Bible, let alone religion in general. Crawl before you can walk, etc...

Joyful,

That sounds interesting. I'll have to put that under my hat... :cointoss: