An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Start Rcia On Wednesday

eustace scrubb

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='Fragments' timestamp='1284574998' post='2173500']
I just wanted to say, and thought I had already, that I have been following this thread. I should have started RCIA last month but due to failing my driving test I'm going to have to wait for a long while until the chance to start again presents itself.

Do you think you could post on here from time to time just to say what happens. (I guess every church is different, but it would be reassuring for me.)
[/quote]

When you [i]do[/i] get your license, I recommend checking in with your parish to see if you can't join in for RCIA still. RCIA does not really have set "start" and "end" points. It's a process that is ultimately different for every person (or should be). It's not a program in the same way that CCD classes are programs. The first two phases of RCIA (Inquiry and Catechumenate) can really last as long as a person needs them to-- which could be years. We have two folks in our RCIA right now that have been "Inquirers" for a year and a half now.

Each person moves at their own pace. So, depending on whether your parish understands the RCIA process fully, you should be able to pop in for the classes as an inquirer whenever you're ready. Of course, you'd probably have to wait until the following year to actually go through the Rites and then celebrate Initiation during the Easter Vigil.

So, you never know. Give your parish a call and explain your situation to them. See what they say. :like:

That's awesome Eustace!!

It takes A LOT of courage for anyone to enter RCIA! I'm glad you're going to keep us in the loop so we can pray for you and your class!

And WHATEVER mass you find that most connects with you, is a good mass

"Btw I might actually be going to St. Gertrude's for RCIA... it's Dominican and they're really on top of their game, I'm told..."

The Dominicans will teach you well - if anybody knows theology, it's the Dominicans! And doesn't St. Gertrude's host the novitiate for the St. Joseph (Dominican) province, too?

• 2 weeks later...
eustace scrubb

I believe they do, but don't quote me on that.

Called the Newman Center about RCIA and got a ring back today. Meeting with someone there about it tomorrow at 1pm. Kinda nervous. I've been going through a lot physically and emotionally since Thursday and I'm just happy to have my sanity back. Today was really rough on my asthma, but it's calming down. Please pray that I can make it out to this and that it works out for me to do this there. And that if it doesn't, I'd be able to do so at St. Gertrude's (which would require regular transportation to the other side of town and a bus wouldn't take me).

eustace scrubb

Made it to the RCIA interview, it went well. Unsure on whether or not I'll be able to make the 10:30am Sunday masses at the Newman Center that are a part of it, but I'm going to at least go to the first 12pm meeting on Sunday. Pray for the Lord's will in all of this and a do rosary or two for me. I need determination and strength. Not entirely sure if I'm meant to do it there, but I'll see what works out. Satan really doesn't want this to happen...

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1284613259' post='2173718']
"Btw I might actually be going to St. Gertrude's for RCIA... it's Dominican and they're really on top of their game, I'm told..."

The Dominicans will teach you well - if anybody knows theology, it's the Dominicans! And doesn't St. Gertrude's host the novitiate for the St. Joseph (Dominican) province, too?
[/quote]

St. Gertrude's (aka "St. Gert's" :hehe: ) is an AWESOME parish!!! I have a few friends that are parishioners there and they're always raving about it. :clapping:

Aaaand as Luigi said, they have DOMINICANS -- good ones! :love: Aaaand they do host the novitiate for the St. Joseph Province. :whistle:

Continued prayers for you, eustace!! :dance:

Brother Adam

God bless you on this journey. It is a tragedy that there are bad RCIA programs, but those old cantankerous priests and 60 year old hippy's will be in their grave soon enough and a younger faithful generation will take over.

eustace scrubb

Haha very true! And thank you!!! :)

I have my first meeting for R.C.I.A. today in a little under three hours. If you see this, pray that I make it (and don't fall asleep again)!!!

eustace scrubb

Also, that girl I like and I have tentative plans to go apple-picking. :)

I mentioned her... somewhere on here.. Anyhow, if it wasn't for this brutal headache, I'd be on cloud nine right now...

eustace scrubb

I had to quit today because of my health. :(

Did some googling and saw that some places do individual instruction for people with health problems. I'm going to look into that.