An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Start Rcia On Wednesday

eustace scrubb

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1283547136' post='2167587']
Yeah, I understand why the teaching is at the level it is. There's people there who are new to the idea of studying the Bible, let alone religion in general. Crawl before you can walk, etc...

[/quote]

Eustace--I was very interested to hear about your experiences at the RCIA class, because they sound like exactly what I expect I'd find if I went to RCIA. I am still VERY far from attending RCIA, but one time, I looked on the Web to read about my local parish, and found that their RCIA classes meet every week. Just from a physical standpoint, I can't do that. (Heck, I'm not physically able right now to attend religious services--of whatever denomination.)

But, I realized as an adult that I don't learn the way other people do. Learning in a group setting is just about the worst way for me to learn. I did well in college, but, except for the very unusual professor, I found it excruciating to sit in lectures, not because the professors were poor teachers, but because I just don't learn best that way. I went to lectures anway, but I learn MUCH better by first reading on my own, and then by asking questions one-on-one of someone more learned that I am. In a small group setting, I tend to dominate by asking too many questions, and they are often questions that no one else is interested in. It's my learning style that's the problem, not the other people.

However, I also heard (most likely from someone here on Phatmass--my apologies because I don't remember exactly who it was) that there were ways to do RCIA other than group sessions in your local parish. Especially with my physical disabiliy issues, I was glad to hear that, if the time ever came for RCIA, there were other alternatives.

I hope the RCIA classes at the other parish are better. And, if they aren't, I hope there are other alternatives for you to pursue. Heck, I wonder why there isn't an "Advanced Placement" version of RCIA, for people like you who have already done lots of thinking, and reading, and praying, and talking with others--and you've already made the decision to become Catholic. Parishes need the standard RCIA classes, because there obviously are those for whom RCIA is a positive experience. But, Catholics (or future Catholics) don't fit a "one size fits all" mold.

I'll be eager to hear what the classes in the other parish are like--your second installment of "My Adventures in RCIA." LOL

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1283183430' post='2165402']
I'm moving a couple miles from where I am now and there's a Catholic church just a couple of blocks from it. This weekend, I visited and asked them about RCIA. Turns out they're starting this week on Wednesday, so I signed up. WOO!!!!!!!! !!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
[/quote]
That's wonderful.

little_miss_late

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' timestamp='1283633315' post='2167903']
Heck, I wonder why there isn't an "Advanced Placement" version of RCIA, for people like you who have already done lots of thinking, and reading, and praying, and talking with others--and you've already made the decision to become Catholic. Parishes need the standard RCIA classes, because there obviously are those for whom RCIA is a positive experience. But, Catholics (or future Catholics) don't fit a "one size fits all" mold.

[/quote]

This is just my experience-- but I had some very similar thoughts in the beginning. I did have some very negative and some very positive experiences in the RCIA group. Overall I think my desire to "test out" of the group was related to other things that I needed to go through, some things I needed to learn from others that I might not have learned in a one-on-one setting- and I'm glad I stayed.

I'm not saying anyone else should put up with folks that are hostile or teaching error. But I think it can be a good thing to be outside of our comfort zone sometimes during this process.

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1283404704' post='2166806']
Bad news:

It was terrible. Awful, really. The priest didn't like me, wasn't very knowledgeable, a number of the people clearly didn't want me there (which they showed by being mean, rude, and cold towards me in word, action and body language), the teaching was extremely weak and shallow, and they're only doing it... once a month...??? Plus virtually everyone there was 60 years old or more. I felt like I was at a judgmental, dying Baptist church or something. I left feeling very depressed.

Good news:

When I got home, I talked to my one Catholic friend who has time for me and we prayed together. I remembered that I had walked out of His will by going to RCIA at this parish because it was closer to where I'm moving to and therefore more convenient. But more than anything, I was scared that I wouldn't be able to get to where I've been attending mass and He made clear that He wants me to attend RCIA. After repenting of that, I felt lighter. An overwhelming sense of peace came upon me and I felt a lot of hope. We went and had food at a place a couple blocks away and then went home. RCIA at the place I've been going to starts next month. I'm going to make a call tomorrow to sign up for it.
:)
[/quote]
Sorry about your bad experience, but congrats on the good news. I remember going through RCIA, I was blessed with a very good group of people and a very good instructor. RCIA was a very fun experience.

[quote name='little_miss_late' timestamp='1283818539' post='2168969']
This is just my experience-- but I had some very similar thoughts in the beginning. I did have some very negative and some very positive experiences in the RCIA group. Overall I think my desire to "test out" of the group was related to other things that I needed to go through, some things I needed to learn from others that I might not have learned in a one-on-one setting- and I'm glad I stayed.

I'm not saying anyone else should put up with folks that are hostile or teaching error. But I think it can be a good thing to be outside of our comfort zone sometimes during this process.
[/quote]
Oh I got out of my comfort zone plenty during RCIA. LOL.

eustace scrubb

Brought a Protestant girl I'm friends with to a place that has 24/7 Adoration this evening and it went REALLY WELL. She got a lot out of it (she wants to go again and thinks that it would really help her) and views Catholicism very positively now! (Not sure what her opinion was before.) Like for example, she kept saying "Yeah... that's the way things SHOULD be!!!" when I explained things to her. Plus I think she likes me (and I've had a crush on her for awhile now), so it's nice... :)

I also went on 9/11... a cousin of mine almost died in it and it was really getting to me. It helped a lot!!! :)

A Catholic girl I'm friends with, but rarely see, is coming to my ecumenical house church now. I invited her to 20's group. God is slowly bringing me more Catholic friends!!!

Btw I might actually be going to St. Gertrude's for RCIA... it's Dominican and they're really on top of their game, I'm told...

Last but not least (and I'm sure you guys will be thrilled to hear this... :) ), I've become interested in the Latin Mass... and it's widely available in this city... : ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Edited by eustace scrubb

I suppose I should consider myself lucky if anything. Started RCIA last week - class is led by a great, caring priest...with a class nearly all the same age as myself. One of them is there because of a relationship, with most rest there because they had a friend who was Catholic - with it rubbing off.

When I was first exploring Catholicism, I'd originally attended and explored RCIA at another parish, but I found the whole atmosphere...wrong.

Sometimes it takes a step or two to go from where you are, to where you need to be.

eustace scrubb

[quote name='penguin31' timestamp='1284512036' post='2173278']
Sometimes it takes a step or two to go from where you are, to where you need to be.
[/quote]

Amen.

I just wanted to say, and thought I had already, that I have been following this thread. I should have started RCIA last month but due to failing my driving test I'm going to have to wait for a long while until the chance to start again presents itself.

Do you think you could post on here from time to time just to say what happens. (I guess every church is different, but it would be reassuring for me.)

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1284441389' post='2172941']
Brought a Protestant girl I'm friends with to a place that has 24/7 Adoration this evening and it went REALLY WELL. She got a lot out of it (she wants to go again and thinks that it would really help her) and views Catholicism very positively now! (Not sure what her opinion was before.) Like for example, she kept saying "Yeah... that's the way things SHOULD be!!!" when I explained things to her. Plus I think she likes me (and I've had a crush on her for awhile now), so it's nice... :)

I also went on 9/11... a cousin of mine almost died in it and it was really getting to me. It helped a lot!!! :)

A Catholic girl I'm friends with, but rarely see, is coming to my ecumenical house church now. I invited her to 20's group. God is slowly bringing me more Catholic friends!!!

Btw I might actually be going to St. Gertrude's for RCIA... it's Dominican and they're really on top of their game, I'm told...

Last but not least (and I'm sure you guys will be thrilled to hear this... :) ), I've become interested in the Latin Mass... and it's widely available in this city... : ))))))))))))))))))))))))))
[/quote]

Awesome!! :)