An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Straightforward Moral Question

logos

Would you rather have your Children addicted to cigarettes or TV? Remember, I said addicted, they can't go without either one. Consider TV as a random sampling of most cable channels.  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm guessing that the moral problem is in the addiction, right? Anyway, cigarrettes may shorten life, but at least they'll be intelligent when they die an early death. ;)

peace...

I said TV because although they may be addicted and "need" to watch it, you can still screen what they watch because they are still children. Also, you can talk to them and explain that whatever they may see that is not appropriate does not reflect real life. Good communication between parent and child can go a long way.

The cigarettes will kill the child eventually. I don't think I'd rather see my child killing him or herself in this way.

This was alot harder than the first question.

I guess it depends on what you mean by addicted to TV. If that means that they watch MTV 24/7, then give me the cigarettes. As horrible as this sounds, I would rather see my kids die physically than spiritually. I know good, moral people who smoke.. Television degrades their conscience and their wrong choices can make a lot more impact on other people than second-hand smoke will.

All for the Immaculata,

Katrina

TempleofVesarius

cigarettes...

a pack of smokes wont teach my kids that abortion is ok, homosexual BEHAVIOR(i dont want to start a war here folks) is normal good thing, that sex before marriage is as normal as apple pie, and that drug use, violence and vulgarity are ok

TempleofVesarius

too much TV causes eye problems and brain cancer...

and frankly...id rather die of lung cancer and get to heavan than die in my sleep in front of a TV and burn in hell

just my POV tho

Spiritual welfare is much more important than physical welfare.

TV has lead to the decline of our civilization... everything revolves around sex. Even commercials geared toward children.

TV has done more for satan that all the protestant churches could ever do.

Just turn on MTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, Bravo, E!, FOX, etc.... Watch the commercials, and the shows...

God Bless,

ironmonk

cmotherofpirl

Or turn on EWTN, the history channel, discovery channel, the weather channel, home and garden, PAX tv etc.

TV can teach as well as degrade.

It counts on what you watch on tv, if a Catholic is addicted to Ewtn that's better than cigs but if it's reg programing then it's betta with da cigs.

Just turn on MTV, NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, Bravo, E!, FOX, etc....  Watch the commercials, and the shows...

PBS is filled with sex and profanity?

Funny, because I never thought of PBS as a corrupting influence on our children. Granted, PBS has a liberal bias, but I wouldn't necessarily call it "corrupting" because of that.

Eh. I guess I don't want too much T.V. to know one way or another though. As for the actual question, I'm in the "I dunno" category. I'd like to think that if I had a kid who was addicted to T.V. I could easily take away the remote and power cord to the T.V.

littleflower+JMJ

PBS is right up there with them with those other trashy channels, their not all-the-time evil but its there......imho