An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Straightforward Moral Question

logos

Would you rather have your Children addicted to cigarettes or TV? Remember, I said addicted, they can't go without either one. Consider TV as a random sampling of most cable channels.  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

TempleofVesarius

how many people do you know addicted to PBS???

people get addicted to tthe things that hurt them...i have never heard of a good addiction

littleflower+JMJ

how many people do you know addicted to PBS???

this program was Made Possible by the Public Broadcasting Station and ......

Viewers Like You!

lol i just thought that was funny! :lol:

cmotherofpirl

PBS is right up there with them with those other trashy channels, their not all-the-time evil but its there......imho

AHHHHH

PBS is the home of Mr Rogers!!!!!

If you don't have cable it is the only place where you can hear a symphony, learn to cook italian, watch Shakespeare, Monty Python, Red Green, and religious news.

I love PBS!

littleflower+JMJ

yeah i only watch sesame street...that all

oh and mister rogers whenever he was on :(

but hey i have little brothers i have an excuse

0h and my point was that the PBS is runned solely on its viewers, must be addictive if theres so many ppl wiling to pay to keep it on..... :rolleyes:

littleflower+JMJ

AHHHHH

PBS is the home of Mr Rogers!!!!! 

If you don't have cable it is the only place where you can hear a symphony, learn to cook italian, watch Shakespeare, Monty Python, Red Green, and religious news.

I love PBS!

you forgot the guy with the fro who had those painting shows!!

man, that guy was good!!

all those trees and landscape always looked so real, i always watched him, he was boring but he painted so good! B)

littleflower+JMJ

cigarettes are killers, i've lost so many aunts and uncles because they were addicted to cigarettes, your literally smoking your life away...and its horrible when you get sick from lung cancer (and thats not all you can get from years of smoking!)

who would want to do that to themselves? :(:(:( :(

cmotherofpirl

You are not being logical.

Tv can be good or evil depending on what you watch.

Cigarettes can only be evil.

I agree with Cmom. It completely depends on WHAT you watch. Parents have control over what their children see, so they should make the most of it.

As someone who is addicted to both, I choose the cigs. Like most everyone else said, cigs won't kill my soul. I have been able to do a kind of television replacement therapy with EWTN. I've replaced Friends, and Seinfeld with Mother Angelica and Father Mitch. The cigs however are a much harder habit to break. I don't know what I could start replacing them with. As for my kids, if I had to choose, I would rather they die early then spend eternity in hell. And TV is a much more direct route to hell than cigs.

You are not being logical.

Tv can be good or evil depending on what you watch.

Cigarettes can only be evil.

"What you watch" is not an option in the given statment.

It does depend on what you watch, but many people do not have EWTN, many people only have the basics... The basics are full of garbage... Even the news is full of garbage with the liberal pawns pushing their agendas.

TV makes people lazy vegtables.... it produces gluttons.... teaches people to eat to much, and sit to veg out.

TV is the bane of our civilization. Look at how many people have serious weight problems....

Cigarettes are the lesser of the two evils... it is better to kill the body than the soul.

Not everybody gets cancer from cigarettes, granted, they are never good for anyone... I've known of people that have lived into their 90's and have been smoking since age 15.... I'm not saying cigarettes are good for people, it's totally genetic on if they will kill a person. Those who do not have cancer in their families are less likly to be affected by cigarettes.

And what about the possitives of cigarettes? They are calming to the nerves, hence people are less angery, they can help people loose weight, they can help keep people from hooking up at parties - hence protecting someone from sin... lol j/k

We are talking about children here... a child will not leave it on EWTN; a child addicted to TV will search for cartoons, or things they know they are not suppose to watch... If the parrent is not around, the child will watch whatever catches their eyes...

God Bless,

ironmonk

I've known too many people who died of lung cancer or other related cancers (one of them being my late grandfather, who lost his larynx to cancer) to prefer any child of mine to be addicted to cigarettes. With TV, I still say it depends on what you watch. But as Max said, it can make you a glutton with a weight problem, so you're in a no-win situation whatever you choose.

TempleofVesarius

If a parent controls what the child is allowed to watch...the child most likely isnt going to become addicted to TV. Kids dont watch TV to be enlightened or to learn, they watch it to be entertaining, and sadly the most entertaining things on television are also the most damaging to a young mind.