An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Chastity Thread

Fragments

[quote name='ThereseP' timestamp='1285275090' post='2175520']
It's hard to be chaste, that's all I can say...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Agreed... :blush:

Live by example.
There was a prayer I once knew, but unfortunately forgot...I'll ask my nun friend to mail it to me. It was all about asking Mary to help keep one's thoughts and actions pure.

But here's one to Jesus, that is particularly good.
Jesus, Fortress of mankind, You are Immaculate! Bless me with Your infinite graces, That I may remain in a state of purity. Strengthen my body, spirit and soul To continually reflect Your chastity. Protect my soul in its daily struggles, Guiding it to ponder on Your Godliness. Defend me from the forces of evil, Those that seek to acquire my soul: I am truly Yours forever and ever. Holy is my King, the Conqueror of sin!

Also, try praying the Rosary. Mary is very powerful!

Dieu vous benisse!

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='ThereseP' timestamp='1285275090' post='2175520']
It's hard to be chaste, that's all I can say...[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img]
[/quote]

[quote name='Fragments' timestamp='1285275838' post='2175534']
Agreed... :blush:
[/quote]

Ditto. One of my friends who was struggling with chastity started sleeping on the floor and praying vespers in order to build up discipline as well as to put everything in a different context. He says this has helped.

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' timestamp='1285349178' post='2175705']
Ditto. One of my friends who was struggling with chastity started sleeping on the floor and praying vespers in order to build up discipline as well as to put everything in a different context. He says this has helped.
[/quote]

coolio. Just out of curiosity, does he use the hours from the old extraordinary liturgy or the present?

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

[quote name='Micah' timestamp='1285360512' post='2175744']
coolio. Just out of curiosity, does he use the hours from the old extraordinary liturgy or the present?
[/quote]

I think he has a more recent copy of the Liturgy of the Hours.

Avoiding occasions of sin and guarding the eyes are important. Resisting temptation is much more difficult than just giving into it, and if we make a habit of giving in....it becomes more and more difficult to resist. There's a reason the Bible speaks of the slavery of sin! And yes, it's a result of the Fall that we are like this. Denying oneself in little things (fasting, giving up a favorite food, turning off TVs or staying away from the internet) can help to train the will to resist temptation, but ultimately we rely on the grace of God, so pray, pray, pray.

Lust is an issue of the heart, so even if dangerous situations are avoided, the temptation hasn't been 'dealt with' and will return at the first opportunity. We must train our hearts to love, to see others with the eyes of Jesus. No easy task! But essentially, the core of the Christian life.

Focusing on sin often leads to despair and discouragement. If you fall, repent, seek the graces of the sacrament of reconciliation, resolve to do better....and move on. Beating yourself up over it, strangely enough, will just lead to falling again and again.

You may want to get yourself a St. Philomena cord. (Adoremus Books has them.) It's a sacramental that you simply tie around your waist each day (under your clothing) and say a prayer. A good physical reminder to live a pure life. Also, she was a favorite saint of St. John Vianney :). Here's the prayer:

[quote]O St. Philomena, glorious Martyr of Faith and Purity, grant me the same strength of mind that enabled you to resist the most terrible assaults; grant me your ardent love for Jesus Christ which the most atrocious tortures were not able to extinguish, so that, by wearing your Cord and imitating you on earth, I will be incoronated with you in heaven. Amen.[/quote]

An older version of the prayer was:

[quote]Oh Saint Philomena, Virgin and Martyr, pray for us so that through your powerful intercession we may obtain that purity of spirit and heart that leads to the perfect love of God. Amen.[/quote]

Hope that helps!

[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][quote]Lust is an issue of the heart, so even if dangerous situations are avoided, the temptation hasn't been 'dealt with' and will return at the first opportunity. We must train our hearts to love, to see others with the eyes of Jesus. No easy task! But essentially, the core of the Christian life. [/quote][/size][/font][/color]
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"] [/font][/color]
[color="#595959"][font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"]so true. [/size][/font][/color]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][color="#595959"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][color="#595959"][size="4"]For example, if you know someone on facebook and know they post sinful pictures, don't click on their profile. I think having that awareness and forethought is key. Cause once you're in that situation it gets exponentially harder to avoid sin. [/size][/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][color="#595959"] [/color][/size][/font]
[font="arial, verdana, sans-serif"][size="4"][color="#595959"][size="4"]$0.02[/size][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Micah

There was this prayer I really, really wanted to post on this thread, but couldn't find it. Then, I get the mail and [i]a letter from my nun friend and the prayer were there! [/i]God must be working. Sr. Mary said she has said this prayer every night for years--and she's 74!

Daily Prayer to Our Blessed Mother
[i]This devotion is prayed daily to Our Lady, asking protection from evil, and especially as a protdction from sins against the virtue of purity.

[/i]

[b][i]Mary, loving Daughter of God the Father, I give my soul to your care. Protect the life of God in my soul. Do not let me lose it by serious sin. Protect my mind and my will so that all my thoughts and desires will be pleasing to God.
Hail Mary... [/i][/b]

[b][i]Mary, loving Mother of God the Son, I give my heart to your care. Let me love you with all my heart. Let me always try to love my neighbor. And help me avoid friends who might lead me away from Jesus and into a life of sin.
Hail Mary... [/i][/b][i][b]Mary, loving Spouse of the Holy Spirit, I give my body to your care. Let me always remember that my body is a home for the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. Let me never sin against Him by any impure actions alone or with others, against the virtue of purity.
Hail Mary...[/b]

[/i]:nun2:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1285527916' post='2176099']
There was this prayer I really, really wanted to post on this thread, but couldn't find it. Then, I get the mail and [i]a letter from my nun friend and the prayer were there! [/i]God must be working. Sr. Mary said she has said this prayer every night for years--and she's 74!

Daily Prayer to Our Blessed Mother
[i]This devotion is prayed daily to Our Lady, asking protection from evil, and especially as a protdction from sins against the virtue of purity.

[/i]

[b][i]Mary, loving Daughter of God the Father, I give my soul to your care. Protect the life of God in my soul. Do not let me lose it by serious sin. Protect my mind and my will so that all my thoughts and desires will be pleasing to God.
Hail Mary... [/i][/b]

[b][i]Mary, loving Mother of God the Son, I give my heart to your care. Let me love you with all my heart. Let me always try to love my neighbor. And help me avoid friends who might lead me away from Jesus and into a life of sin.
Hail Mary... [/i][/b][i][b]Mary, loving Spouse of the Holy Spirit, I give my body to your care. Let me always remember that my body is a home for the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. Let me never sin against Him by any impure actions alone or with others, against the virtue of purity.
Hail Mary...[/b]

[/i]:nun2:

[/quote]

That's an awesome prayer, just prayed it.

And also, God clearly reads Phatmass......
:D

[quote name='Fragments' timestamp='1285528126' post='2176100']
That's an awesome prayer, just prayed it.

And also, God clearly reads Phatmass......
:D
[/quote]

Glad you like it! And yes, I believe He does!

teresitacarmel

Chastity??? UGH!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like screaming [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/brickwall.gif[/img] It's NOT easy that's for SURE!!!! I feel like I'm going crazy cuz I have all these..."desires"..............[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/cry2.gif[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

Its hard to find someone that agrees with chastity. Its true everything is focused around that these days but I still somewhat believe that if you are married there should be no problem. If you love someone that much and you are not doing it with anyone but them then you should be able to share that special moment more times then just when you are planning to concieve