An Old School Catholic Message Board

Five New Novices At Parkminster

PrayerSupporter

PrayerSupporter

Wonderful news! There are five new novices at the Carthusian monastery of Parkminster as of yesterday!

http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/2010/10/no-take-mitre-away.html

sistersintigo

You notice they all had to wait in order to be clothed during the Feast of St Bruno, the founder of the Carthusian order (October 6).

PrayerSupporter

[quote name='sistersintigo' timestamp='1286553205' post='2178547']
You notice they all had to wait in order to be clothed during the Feast of St Bruno, the founder of the Carthusian order (October 6).
[/quote]

Actually they all chose to wait so they could be clothed together. From the IFSB (International Fellowship of St. Bruno) Yahoo group: "The Feast of St Bruno must have been especially joyous at Parkminster, according to Fr. Finigan's disclosure about the five new Carthusian novices who waited until that date to be clothed together." God bless them all and grant them perseverance.

[quote name='PrayerSupporter' timestamp='1286557683' post='2178570']
Actually they all chose to wait so they could be clothed together. From the IFSB (International Fellowship of St. Bruno) Yahoo group: "The Feast of St Bruno must have been especially joyous at Parkminster, according to Fr. Finigan's disclosure about the five new Carthusian novices who waited until that date to be clothed together." God bless them all and grant them perseverance.
[/quote]

FIVE new CARTHUSIANS???

That seems like a lot.

Wowzers.

sonofbernard

[size="4"]Not mean to discourage, I know Parminster well, most of them leave after year or so. Only few Solemn profess monk and lay brother. Only one in the formation from GB most of them from abroad. People go and out there...[/size]

+Praised be Jesus Christ!

We have a dear friend who is a Carthusian. While we are only too aware of the statistics against staying - we must join with our brothers in Christ and rejoice that these five men have responded with a hearty yes and desire to grow closer to God. There is only glory and beauty in that desire; and in this moment, let us praise Him for calling, and affirm them for responding. May we remember these dear and brave fellows - it is a hard and difficult life to be sure. Perhaps through our spiritual adoption of the postulants, through prayer, they will indeed remain and reach their initial goal - God willing. And if God has others plans for the postulants, may we continue to affirm their desire of deep intimacy of Christ Our Lord and may we strive to imitate it.

Trying not to sound overly pious....but oh, how delighted am I! In another life...I would most certainly have gone the Carthusian route, and God knows, I would have needed the prayers of a thousand people to have made it.

Congratulations to Parkminster! Now....to get into THAT library. One can dream, can't she?

Pax,

TradMom

[quote name='sonofbernard' timestamp='1286613291' post='2178740']
[size="4"]Not mean to discourage, I know Parminster well, most of them leave after year or so. Only few Solemn profess monk and lay brother. Only one in the formation from GB most of them from abroad. People go and out there...[/size]
[/quote]
This happens in all Carthusians, a difficult vocation, not everyone can live.
In the Spanish Carthusians also in most of those who enter end up coming, the important thing is that people still coming in, it does not happen in the monasteries "modernized".

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TradMom' timestamp='1286760478' post='2179019']
+Praised be Jesus Christ!

We have a dear friend who is a Carthusian. While we are only too aware of the statistics against staying - we must join with our brothers in Christ and rejoice that these five men have responded with a hearty yes and desire to grow closer to God. There is only glory and beauty in that desire; and in this moment, let us praise Him for calling, and affirm them for responding. May we remember these dear and brave fellows - it is a hard and difficult life to be sure. Perhaps through our spiritual adoption of the postulants, through prayer, they will indeed remain and reach their initial goal - God willing. And if God has others plans for the postulants, may we continue to affirm their desire of deep intimacy of Christ Our Lord and may we strive to imitate it.

Trying not to sound overly pious....but oh, how delighted am I! In another life...I would most certainly have gone the Carthusian route, and God knows, I would have needed the prayers of a thousand people to have made it.

Congratulations to Parkminster! Now....to get into THAT library. One can dream, can't she?

Pax,

TradMom
[/quote]

YES, may God Bless them!

sistersintigo

A timely opportunity to recall Nancy Klein Maguire's book, "An Infinity of Little Hours," published within the past ten years.
In that retrospective of a true story some forty years after the fact, there were also five young men who entered and became postulants at about the same time.
The Carthusian Charterhouse then, as now, was St. Hugh's, known as "Parkminster" after its location in Sussex, England.
Although today's Carthusian Order has, like all the other orders, made adjustments in the wake of the Second Vatican Council ("An Infinity of Little Hours" is deliberately highlighted as the last group of entrances before Vatican II), the mammoth monastery-combination-hermitage which is St. Hugh's at Parkminster, is largely the same physical, material structure that it was at the time of the Maguire book. In reading this book, with its vivid, detailed recollections of life moment by moment inside the Charterhouse enclosure, it is possible to imagine what it is like to be inside the St. Hugh's enclosure to this very day. Anyone who has read the Maguire book can concur, it is a real page-turner and hard to put down!
SPOILER ALERT! If you have not read the book, and choose to avoid spoilers, READ NO FURTHER.
St. Hugh's Charterhouse has Dom Cyril Pierce O.Cart. (choir monk, meaning he is also an ordained priest), for its Novice Master today. Under the fictitious name "Dom Leo," his story is confidentially told in "An Infinity of Little Hours." And "Dom Leo"/real-life-Dom Cyril is the only one of the pre-Vatican-II five postulants, in the Maguire book, who persevered as a Carthusian to the present day.
Of the other four: the European one (Germany) came to terms with his homosexuality, left religious life, and found stability with one same-sex partner for the rest of his days. And the remaining three, all North American natives, each got married.....a moment of reverent silence.

• 5 years later...

Wonderful news; Dom Hesychios of Parkminster was recently ordained Priest by the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton. I think it's the first ordination there since Dom Gregory in 2010.

i do miss living nearby and being able to go to Mass in the Extern Chapel!