An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun...

LaPetiteSoeur

OnlySunshine

...when you realize today that your psych eval results could come back on Saturday and you get really excited, but also really peaceful! :dance:

Clare~Therese

When [i]la monja[/i] you've been corresponding with sends you an invitation inviting (lol I'm redundant) you to attend Mass at 7 AM in their public chapel this Saturday since it's St. Clare's feast day.
:love:

LittleWaySoul

When you get a hand-written letter back from one of the orders you requested information from and you get super excited and want to write back when you get the chance.

When you have a continuing mental note to buy a chapel veil.

• 2 weeks later...
AveMariaPurissima

-When you're receiving Communion in the convent chapel, and Fr. says, "The Body of Christ, Sister-to-be."

-When one of the Sisters starts out saying something to you: "Sister -- I mean, Ave --...."

-When you know that your four enemies are the world, the flesh, the devil, and Clorox. (it's somewhat of a joke with my Sisters, since we use clorox to clean a lot of things, but we have to be very very extremely careful not to get it on our clothes, because if we do it turns it white instantly. Not good...)

-When you feel more homesick after you get home from your live-in than you did while you were there.

Kylie Spinelli

... when you spend more time hanging out with your nun-friends than your friends from school....

... when even your co-workers ask you if you want to be a nun.

... when your dad starts calling you Sister [u]insert name here[/u], and he doesn't even know you're discerning!

... when you're nervous to meet with a spiritual director for the first time!!! (EEeeeee! I'm excited, scared, nervous, all at the same time!! :D )

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1345583594' post='2471429']
[b]-When you're receiving Communion in the convent chapel, and Fr. says, "The Body of Christ, Sister-to-be."

-When one of the Sisters starts out saying something to you: "Sister -- I mean, Ave --...."[/b]

-When you know that your four enemies are the world, the flesh, the devil, and Clorox. (it's somewhat of a joke with my Sisters, since we use clorox to clean a lot of things, but we have to be very very extremely careful not to get it on our clothes, because if we do it turns it white instantly. Not good...)

-When you feel more homesick after you get home from your live-in than you did while you were there.
[/quote]

AveMaria, these are so beautiful! You must be so excited. :) And, with the Trinitarian's habit, Clorox really WOULD be the enemy!

Catholicterp7

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307623921' post='2251619']
:dance5:

True!!!

And the ones I've met are so good at remembering you once you've met. Sr. Joseph Andrew said something along the lines of "with all the people I meet, God's gotta put me on the fast track to remember them all!" When I went there, she said "now, haven't I met you before?" I stumbled around and answered, "well, I was here two years ago, maybe you saw me then." And she said "That's right! You were here for a retreat, but didn't come and see me!," because I had been too chicken to actually talk to her one-on-one.

That's serious nun memory.
[/quote]
Oh my goodness yes! It's amazing how good her memory is. I first went on a retreat with them three years ago and I'll never forget the conversation I had with Sister Mary Dominic. We were talking about what had happened on the retreat and another sister walked by and stopped to talk to Sister and Sister was introducing us and said "Catholicterp7, something about limes, seventeen years old" and my jaw dropped as my email at the time was Ilovelimes. It was pretty crazy. SJAB still remembers me and I haven't seen her all year.
[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1312125678' post='2279008']
When you read every book you can get your hands on abt different orders... And then you plan a solo nun run
[/quote]
I did that! :) it was three days full of Dominicans! I went to the first vows of the SMME, stayed the night with my aunt and uncle in Detroit, the next day spent about four hours with the cloistered Dominicans in Farmington Hills, again stayed with my aunt and uncle and then went back to Ann Arbor the next morning for the final vows of the SMME.
[quote name='ameliabedelia' timestamp='1313299159' post='2287518']
when you hear a bell that even remotely sounds like the Angelus bells at "your" convent and get butterflies in your stomach.
[/quote]
I totally get that feeling, even though it turned out not to be "mine" This past year I lived across the street from a Catholic church and every time the Angelus bell would ring it would make me think of the cloistered nuns.
[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1314728885' post='2297570']
...When you think each and every order is absolutely beautiful even if you know that you're not called there. :)
[/quote]
Amen to that!!! I've visited five orders in the past three years and fallen in love with each of them. I'm now only discerning with one of them because for various reasons I realized it didn't work with the other four. But they're still beautiful and I still love all of them so much.
[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1321716695' post='2338232']
Me too! I've been having trouble lately in loud crowds; it's sensory overload!
[/quote]
It's so true! It's really hard for me because I'm a God-willing-soon-to-be Sign Language interpreter so most of my life is spent with Deaf people and it's a lot easier to tune out the ten thousand other signed conversations than it is to tune out the ten thousand other spoken conversations. It's totally overwhelming!
[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1321924631' post='2339195']
Or when your family wants you to join a different order. Trust me it is awful... Seriously, you are the only one that knows what is on your heart (and Jesus of course). :)
[/quote]
I agree with this one as well. My mom really wants me to visit the Sisters of Life. I think they're a beautiful order, and I know that building the culture of life is so important but I just simply don't feel called to spend my life in that ministry.

[b]EmilyAnn[/b]
When you already think of yourself as Sister [name].

When even when doing chores you think about doing them in the convent and how that would be much more amesome. (maybe that's just me :blush: )

I do both of those all the time. It's not just you! I'm glad to know it's not just me.

[b]MessorCarus[/b]
I used to have purple rectangular ones! yay!
Then I had to find more "grown-up" ones....just in case. :)

I also used to have purple glasses. This last time I got new frames I got black ones, but they're still rectangle and they do have green on the inside so I can look no nonsense but still have a bit of color seeing as the rest of my wardrobe is pretty basic.

[b]AveMariaPurissima[/b]
-When in conversation you refer simply to "the Sisters" and assume that your listener will immediately know what community you're talking about.

-When you realize that saying "[u]my[/u] Sisters," and "[u]my[/u] Community" just sounds more natural.

I do both of those all the time. The problem is that "the Sisters" changes depending on which ones I'm in the most contact with at the moment. I also say "My nuns" referring to the cloistered community I visited but "my Sisters" can refer to a number of communities.

[b]Kayte Postle[/b]
:like3: is someone going to be at the November retreat?

[b]Lil'Monster[/b]
Well yeah....MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm hoping I'll be able to be there as well. If I end up going we should try and meet up at some point. I did that the first retreat I went on with some women that I "met" on facebook and it was so much fun!

[b]FuturePriest387[/b]
Of course. What am I thinking? After much recommendation from my spiritual adviser I have been discerning with the Benedictine Monks in Oklahoma, so Benedictines are good too. As long as you're not going to be a dirty Dominican...

HEY! I resent that! :mad: :)
[b]MaterMisericordiae[/b]
...when you see a Sister in an airport and immediately know which order she is from.

I saw a Nashville Dominican in the airport I was stopping at for my layover. Incidentally, I was on my way to Alma, MI to visit the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Too razzle dazzle! :)

That's amesome! When did you go on retreat with the Sisters of Mercy? I was on the last retreat that they had.

[b]emmaberry[/b]
When you save letters from Mother Abbess as if you were saving love letters from your significant other, because they are precious.

Or when you have all of the letters that the person who is the Therese to your Maurice sent you because it has the best advice you've ever been given as well as really funny comments like "you should come visit me, you can chant vespers with us, come to Mass with us, and I'll give you a cookie" :)

[b]LittleWaySoul[/b]
I also switched around the direction of my Claddagh ring to symbolize my heart being "taken." I did this during Adoration so that I could be with Him when I did :) I doubt anyone will notice, but I like it. It reminds me of my devotion to Him :nun1:

I did that with my ring as well. :D :heart: :love:

[b]Clare~Therese[/b]
When your mom asks you if you'd like to go to a discernment retreat in November held by the DSMME in Michigan and you freak out (in a good way) when you realize she's being serious (I don't know if I'm going for sure yet. My mom has to talk to my dad about it.).

If you come in November we should try and meet as well.

[b]LittleWaySoul[/b]
When you get a hand-written letter back from one of the orders you requested information from and you get super excited and want to write back when you get the chance.

When you have a continuing mental note to buy a chapel veil.

I always get so excited when I get cards from the orders I've visited or contacted. It's super exciting! Also just do it!! Buy a veil, or make one like I did. If you have a sewing machine it will be much cheaper to make one.

[b]AveMariaPurissima[/b]
-When one of the Sisters starts out saying something to you: "Sister -- I mean, Ave --...."

-When you know that your four enemies are the world, the flesh, the devil, and Clorox. (it's somewhat of a joke with my Sisters, since we use clorox to clean a lot of things, but we have to be very very extremely careful not to get it on our clothes, because if we do it turns it white instantly. Not good...)"

When I was doing my live in it started the first day with the Sisters calling me "Sister, I mean Catholicterp7" but by around the middle of the third day they were all calling me sister and I responded to it very easily. :)

You know you may be a nun if you start referring to colors as "Sisters of Life Blue", "Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters Pink" "DMDA Blue" "Children of Mary Purple" etc.
Also when I was visiting the SSEW one of the sisters almost bleached her scapular when we were cleaning. It was really funny because my friends always tease me about the fact that I might end up wearing white my whole life because I'm such a messy eater. When I got home and told that story I realized that I just can't win. If I'm in white it will always have food on it and if it's dark colored it will always have bleach spots. (sigh)
JMJ+ :heart:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Catholicterp7' timestamp='1345600407' post='2471643']
[b]MaterMisericordiae[/b]
...when you see a Sister in an airport and immediately know which order she is from.

I saw a Nashville Dominican in the airport I was stopping at for my layover. Incidentally, I was on my way to Alma, MI to visit the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Too razzle dazzle! :)

That's amesome! When did you go on retreat with the Sisters of Mercy? I was on the last retreat that they had.

[/quote]

I went on the retreat with the RSMs of Alma, MI in November 11-13, 2011. :)

Catholicterp7

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345604334' post='2471708']
I went on the retreat with the RSMs of Alma, MI in November 11-13, 2011. :)
[/quote]
That's amesome! :) I really like them a lot. I'm hoping to be able to spend more time with them as Sister Catherine told me "If you need a place to hide come visit us in Dewitt" I'm sure I'll be doing that soon here.
JMJ+ :heart: