An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun...

LaPetiteSoeur

DiscerningCatholic

One of my youth ministers was walking behind me one time. I was wearing a dark blue jacket with my "postulant's skirt" as my friends have come to call it; it's blue, cotton, full, and down to about six inches below my knees. My youth minister said to me, "You look like Sr. Therese [screen name]." I said, "NO WAY. I do NOT want to be a nun."

Little did I know...

When every one of your friends seems to have known that you'd end up officially discerning at some point, because none of them act surprised when you tell them...

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1347051177' post='2480000']
"You look like Sr. Therese [screen name]." [/quote]

I don't get this-you mean he said you look like Sister insert-your-name-here?

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1347066094' post='2480100']
I don't get this-you mean he said you look like Sister insert-your-name-here?
[/quote]
LOL, yup. I guess that wasn't all that clear. But yeah. :)

...when your pastor tells you that your Sisters might be visiting soon and you get all excited!

This is a true story! They may be coming on the 19th and I'm trying very hard to find a ride to Church so I can see them. Even if I have to take a taxi, I'll go! :)

after your friend tells you all about her new boyfriend asks you "So how are things with you and the community, are you still discerning or is this "the one"?"
True phone conversation between my friend and I, in the middle of an airport. I got a few weird looks.

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1347162562' post='2480452']
after your friend tells you all about her new boyfriend asks you "So how are things with you and the community, are you still discerning or is this "the one"?"
True phone conversation between my friend and I, in the middle of an airport. I got a few weird looks.
[/quote]
Don't judge! We're cool!

When people smirk and remark that your discernment is 'just a phase' and you feel just as crazy as you assume anyone would be after telling someone "I'm getting married" and hearing the response, "It's just a phase, sweetie."

:angry:

when your choir director tells you that you sing like a nun :lol:

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1347247323' post='2480869']
When people smirk and remark that your discernment is 'just a phase' and you feel just as crazy as you assume anyone would be after telling someone "I'm getting married" and hearing the response, "It's just a phase, sweetie."

[/quote]
:console:

When your pastor asks you, "so how long until you leave for the convent?" I was slightly confused and informed him it would be a couple years yet.

...when someone you know at Church (fellow EMHC) asks you when you're going to become a Sister! :)

...when you suddenly realize there IS public transportation in your area that could take you to Church on a weekday and realize that you CAN make it to see the Sisters when they come on the 19th!!! (God-willing)

I am so excited and happy! I thought of a public bus that I took with a senior from the nursing home to the hospital which everyone thinks is for seniors only. However, I looked at their website and it's for anyone who is transportation challenged! Plus, it's only [u][b]$1[/b][/u] per ride!!! :yahoo:

I know this is random but I just wanted to share this song:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgqC24I_7Zc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgqC24I_7Zc&feature=related[/url]

Unlike their weird hardcore metal rapcore songs.....here is more of a pretty song by Family Force 5

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUjyooSz-M&feature=relmfu"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WUjyooSz-M&feature=relmfu[/url]

DiscerningCatholic

[/quote]

HOW DID YOU KNOW? THIS IS MY LIFE! WHERE ARE THE HIDDEN CAMERAS? :bounce:

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

To Jesus Through Mary

[/quote]

Boo! Not cool.

But in a strange way they are right... it is a phase, because life in general IS just a phase. We are made for eternity. So if by "phase" they mean "lifetime" then there ya go. ;)

[quote name='To Jesus Through Mary' timestamp='1347283189' post='2480962']
Boo! Not cool.

But in a strange way they are right... it is a phase, because life in general IS just a phase. We are made for eternity. So if by "phase" they mean "lifetime" then there ya go. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for this! Now I have an amesome comeback to that particular remark. :evil: :P

Edit: The thing that I don't get about this phrase that I so often hear (and it sounds as if other discerners hear this too) is that I am 19 and have gone to college. To all of these people who dismissively remark "It's just a phase", I have to wonder what exactly they want me to do. If I finished school and worked a bit afterwards to make 100% sure that this is not a phase, then I would be over the age limits of many of the communities I am interested in.

Rant over-sorry. :blush:

Edited by emmaberry