An Old School Catholic Message Board

Strictest Carmelite Convents In The U.s.?

carmelite15

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1290823991' post='2189458']
Random question that's somewhat off-topic (sorry, brandee!)... I heard someone once say there are Spanish- & French-descended Carmels and that they have different styles. Does anyone know which are which in the US?

I only know that Buffalo is definitely a foundation from Mexico, and I'm wondering if the other above Carmels noted for their strictness are either French or Spanish in origin. Not that that proves or disproves anything (France has some pretty strict non-Carmels!), but I'm just curious...

Another random question... but since we're speaking Carmels, shouldn't vee8 be back by now? Hmmmmm.... :nun2:
[/quote]

Great question! Here's a way you can tell on this google album that has been posted about here before .. there are some scanned pages from a book that has a flow chart of where all the foundations (up to the year 1990) came from .. [url="http://picasaweb.google.com/ocdnuns/UnitedStatesFoundations17901990#5056127004945079938"]http://picasaweb.goo...127004945079938[/url] and you can zoom in there .. go to the next page to see the Spanish Carmels :mex:

Most Carmels in the US are French actually (from a Carmel in Belgium which came from France). Yes, there's really no difference as far as strictness between the French and Spanish customs. Actually Mother Agnes, the Novice Mistress/SubPrioress in Valparaiso, mentioned something about the French customs being a little more severe/stark .. something like that .. whereas there's, generally speaking, more of a family spirit in the Spanish customs .. I would think because Spanish/Latino cultures tend to be more social .. but that's a generalization, and only a guess. But I have also heard that French Carmels tend to emphasize solitude a bit more too ..

One very strict/traditional French Carmel that hasn't been mentioned yet is the one in Lake Elmo, MN. There is pretty much nothing about them online .. although I found a little something [url="http://www.christendom.edu/alumni/grapevineonline/GV2005/september05.html"]here[/url] (search Lake Elmo) about one of the nuns who went to Christendom .. what a great sense of humor she has! :hehe:

Vee told me she was coming back on the 27th :smile3: She was visiting Indwelling's community .. :pray:

Edited by Chiquitunga

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1290836369' post='2189493']
where IS vee???
[/quote]

DS,

I was wondering the same thing. I just can't wait to get her feedback on how it went.

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1290872654' post='2189539']
DS,

I was wondering the same thing. I just can't wait to get her feedback on how it went.
[/quote]

I think she was coming back today!

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1290894053' post='2189567']
I think she was coming back today!

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/clap2.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Yaaaay

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1290837975' post='2189510']
mentioned something about the French customs being a little more severe/stark .. something like that .. whereas there's, generally speaking, more of a family spirit in the Spanish customs .. I would think because Spanish/Latino cultures tend to be more social .. but that's a generalization, and only a guess. But I have also heard that French Carmels tend to emphasize solitude a bit more too .
[/quote]

:like:

For a glimpse of traditional [i]French[/i] Carmelite spirit, I would recommend watching this movie;
http://gloria.tv/?media=88487 (the English subtitles are not yet up online, but the subtitles are not necessary to observe the "French style")

For a glimpse of traditional [i]Spanish [/i]Carmelite spirit, I would recommend watching Saint Teresa of the Andes, and also reading her diary/letters. This young saint I believe is the embodiment of the organic development of the Carmelite spirit.

Everyone discerning a vocation to Carmel should read her letters!

Davide

Edited by Rising_Suns

[quote name='Rising_Suns' timestamp='1290899548' post='2189575']

For a glimpse of traditional [i]French[/i] Carmelite spirit, I would recommend watching this movie;
http://gloria.tv/?media=88487 (the English subtitles are not yet up online, but the subtitles are not necessary to observe the "French style")

For a glimpse of traditional [i]Spanish [/i]Carmelite spirit, I would recommend watching Saint Teresa of the Andes, and also reading her diary/letters. This young saint I believe is the embodiment of the organic development of the Carmelite spirit.

Davide
[/quote]

subtitles or not I love the movie already!!!!!!!!

Edited by carmelite15

ameliabedelia

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1290901208' post='2189577']
[/quote]

i just watched that whole movie and LOVED it! I didn't understand a word they said..but that is besides the point. lol

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1290901208' post='2189577']
[/quote]

Yup, that is too beautiful!!!

If anyone is interested in a version of this movie with English subtitles, please let me know over PM and I will send you the download link.

[quote name='holly.o' timestamp='1290823991' post='2189458']
Random question that's somewhat off-topic (sorry, brandee!)... I heard someone once say there are Spanish- & French-descended Carmels and that they have different styles. Does anyone know which are which in the US?

I only know that Buffalo is definitely a foundation from Mexico, and I'm wondering if the other above Carmels noted for their strictness are either French or Spanish in origin. Not that that proves or disproves anything (France has some pretty strict non-Carmels!), but I'm just curious...

Another random question... but since we're speaking Carmels, shouldn't vee8 be back by now? Hmmmmm.... :nun2:
[/quote]

The Carmel of Cristo Rey in San Francisco was founded from a Carmel in Mexico that was founded from a Carmel in Spain that was a foundation of St. Teresa of Avila's.

[quote name='Rising_Suns' timestamp='1290899548' post='2189575']

[url="http://gloria.tv/?media=88487"]http://gloria.tv/?media=88487[/url] (the English subtitles are not yet up online, but the subtitles are not necessary to observe the "French style")

Davide
[/quote]

I haven't watched this whole movie yet so unless they change their clothing, it's strange how the habits look like Benedictine habits more than Carmelite habits!

Edited by SrBenigna

Does anyone know about the Carmelite Monastery of Cristo Rey? and the carmelites in Morristown?

Thank you so much guys!

IgnatiusofLoyola

Personally, I'm looking more for the LEAST strict Carmelite convent in the U.S. I don't need a "Ritz Carmel," but maybe along the lines of a Hyatt. When I'm in really bad pain, I can't think, much less pray.

Wait, what am I thinking? Even in a plush Carmel, I have the least Carmelite sprituality of anyone I know. They'd kick me out, even if I didn't complain about the beds being too hard and the fact that I look terrible in brown.

But, the solitude and quiet, and the singing and chanting sound wonderful. (I wonder if they'd have any chairs with backs, and maybe even a cushion.)

Carmel is not for me. I need a Community that's Ignatian in spirituality (with some Dominican thrown in), has a huge library, lets me bring my cats (they are both chronically ill, but wonderful, and, as helpless creatures, my vow to my cats is one of my vows to God), and understands that, if I can't get up at 5:00 am, it's not because I love God any less.

Not gonna happen. Rough quote from "This House of Brede," something like, "For those in the infirmary, their sickness is their prayer." I liked that. God not only watches over the strong, but the weak, too. And, someone has to keep the home fires burning.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='carmelite15' timestamp='1290943541' post='2189645']
Does anyone know about the Carmelite Monastery of Cristo Rey? and the carmelites in Morristown?

Thank you so much guys!
[/quote]

I can't really say anything about either, but here is a little page about the Carmelite Monastery of Cristo Rey: http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/99 they did have a website, but it's under construction. You'll find the link on the webpage link I posted here.

I've heard that the Carmel in Valparaiso Nebraska was founded from the Cristo Rey Carmel? Here is a little something I found that might confirm this:

"The Carmel of Jesus, Mary and Joseph can be traced back to a sixteenth century Spanish Carmelite Monastery founded by Saint Teresa of Jesus. Two daughter monasteries were established in Mexico. In 1927, the Community established a Carmel in California. Later, a monastery was founded in Las Vegas, Nevada. It was discerned that God was calling them to transfer to the Lincoln Diocese."

If the Carmel in California is referring to the Cristo Rey Carmel then the traditons would be similar if not the same as what is practised in Nebraska and Pennsylvania. Though I don't know if the Cristo Rey Carmel has the Traditional Latin Mass. I think when the community came to Nebraska the Bishop asked them to have The Traditional Latin Mass, and then they started the Divine Office of the ancient Carmelite Rite also. I'm not sure if this is done at the Cristo Rey Carmel either, but I don't think it is because I think these changes started in Nebraska.

Edited by In The Arms of The Lord