An Old School Catholic Message Board

Strictest Carmelite Convents In The U.s.?

carmelite15

As the Lord told Jeremiah "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" and this goes for each of us not jsut Jeremiah, so from all time God had in mind you and me and where He wanted us to be and what He intends us to be be it a Dominican, Franciscan, a mom and so on. The thing to seek is God's will because there is where you will best fit. It may not be the "strictest" Carmel, it may not even be Carmel the thing is to be open to His will, to say yes to Him always, to say "not my will but yours be done"

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1291068707' post='2189878']
As the Lord told Jeremiah "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb" and this goes for each of us not jsut Jeremiah, so from all time God had in mind you and me and where He wanted us to be and what He intends us to be be it a Dominican, Franciscan, a mom and so on. The thing to seek is God's will because there is where you will best fit. It may not be the "strictest" Carmel, it may not even be Carmel the thing is to be open to His will, to say yes to Him always, to say "not my will but yours be done"
[/quote]

Well said, Vee! It is when one follows His will that they find they are able to love Him most perfectly.

Strictness is a good measure to help one discern a vocation to RL. But it is so, strictness must always be joined with love. Strictness without charity is worse than charity without strictness.

This is why it is so important to read the letters of St. Teresa of the Andes. She did not choose her community because they were strict. She chose them because they were strict and they loved.

Love should always be the foundation of every community. But a community that truly loves God, and one another, will also be strict in helping the sisters/brothers grow in love. Strictness, in its proper form, is an act of charity, because it never settles for stagnancy, but yearns to unite souls to Love itself.

If we think of the 20th century apparitions, we see in Our Lady the example [i]par excellence[/i] of love and strictness. Observe how She continually wants to make us better children. Observe Her infinite patience, never tiring of repeating the same words of encouragement. Observe Her gentle rebukes, tempered by the caress of a mother's hand.

Love promps strictness. But a community that is [i][u]both[/u] [/i]strict [i]and [/i]loving [b][u]is so rare! [/u][/b]

-Davide

Edited by Rising_Suns

Somewhere among past posts, Nunsense posted about visiting Christo Rey in San Francisco. All I remember now is that they use both Spanish and English in the community to honor their history and they were willing to discern with her even though she was older than the usual age they considered.

Littleton Colorado Carmel is a very strict Carmel. I tend to think of the Carmels that are not members of an association at all (such as Littleton, Denmark WI, and Lake Elmo and Valparaiso) to be strict and often 1990 constitutions.

The Carmels of the St Joseph Association are aligned in their commitment to preserve the traditional observances and my understanding is that they interpret the strict papal enclosure so strictly that their association never holds meetings.

http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/index.htm

I hope this is helpful

Edited by Graciela

[quote name='Graciela' timestamp='1291083337' post='2189937']
Somewhere among past posts, Nunsense posted about visiting Christo Rey in San Francisco. All I remember now is that they use both Spanish and English in the community to honor their history and they were willing to discern with her even though she was older than the usual age they considered.

Littleton Colorado Carmel is a very strict Carmel. I tend to think of the Carmels that are not members of an association at all (such as Littleton, Denmark WI, and Lake Elmo and Valparaiso) to be strict and often 1990 constitutions.

The Carmels of the St Joseph Association are aligned in their commitment to preserve the traditional observances and my understanding is that they interpret the strict papal enclosure so strictly that their association never holds meetings.

http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/index.htm

I hope this is helpful
[/quote]

I know from speaking with Mother Mary Elizabeth that the Carmel in Denmark, WI uses the 1991 Constitutions, but they maintain the grill and strict enclosure. The pictures and information from the website is very informative for anyone who is interested in discerning with them. Their monastery is pretty new which is why they are probably not associated with any other Carmelites.

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1291068707' post='2189878']
[/quote]

[quote name='Rising_Suns' timestamp='1291078686' post='2189923']
Strictness is a good measure to help one discern a vocation to RL. But it is so, strictness must always be joined with love. Strictness without charity is worse than charity without strictness.

This is why it is so important to read the letters of St. Teresa of the Andes. She did not choose her community because they were strict. She chose them because they were strict and they loved.

Love should always be the foundation of every community. But a community that truly loves God, and one another, will also be strict in helping the sisters/brothers grow in love. Strictness, in its proper form, is an act of charity, because it never settles for stagnancy, but yearns to unite souls to Love itself.

If we think of the 20th century apparitions, we see in Our Lady the example [i]par excellence[/i] of love and strictness. Observe how She continually wants to make us better children. Observe Her infinite patience, never tiring of repeating the same words of encouragement. Observe Her gentle rebukes, tempered by the caress of a mother's hand.

Love promps strictness. But a community that is [i][u]both[/u] [/i]strict [i]and [/i]loving [b][u]is so rare! [/u][/b]

-Davide
[/quote]

Both so well said!! :heart:

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' timestamp='1290960514' post='2189662']If the Carmel in California is referring to the Cristo Rey Carmel then the traditons would be similar if not the same as what is practised in Nebraska and Pennsylvania. Though I don't know if the Cristo Rey Carmel has the Traditional Latin Mass. I think when the community came to Nebraska the Bishop asked them to have The Traditional Latin Mass, and then they started the Divine Office of the ancient Carmelite Rite also. I'm not sure if this is done at the Cristo Rey Carmel either, but I don't think it is because I think these changes started in Nebraska.
[/quote]

Yes, Valparaiso came from the [url="http://www.jnelson.com/jnelson/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7&Itemid=17"]Carmel of Cristo Rey[/url] in San Francisco (and their chapels have some similarities like the columns and wooden chairs) They are under the 1991 Constitutions, but are still very traditional, so I have heard. On their [url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/99"]IRL page[/url] it says, new/Traditional Masses. [url="http://www.ignatius.com/Pages/Item/591/fr-joseph-d-fessio-sj.aspx"]Here's[/url] a picture of Fr. Fessio offering a Traditional Latin Mass there. They alternate between praying the Office in English and Spanish.

Thanks everyone for the information for explaining what I couldn't put into words the difference of Spanish and French traditions.

I visited both French and Spanish Carmels and I couldn't explain what I felt was the difference.

Chiquitunga, you're right Latino culture is very much rooted in family and especially family functions. I'm Hispanic and I've seen the movie of St. Teresa of the Andes; her family and friends who struggle with accepting her vocation definitely hits home.

One French based Carmel is right across the street from the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, where over 100,000 people gather there on her feast day. There's a group from my parish who [u][b]walk [/b][/u]overnight (at least one did the walk barefoot!) the normally 45 minute drive to arrive to be there by 5 am.

[quote name='Chapel Rat' timestamp='1291140857' post='2190034']
Thanks everyone for the information for explaining what I couldn't put into words the difference of Spanish and French traditions.

I visited both French and Spanish Carmels and I couldn't explain what I felt was the difference.

Chiquitunga, you're right Latino culture is very much rooted in family and especially family functions. I'm Hispanic and I've seen the movie of St. Teresa of the Andes; her family and friends who struggle with accepting her vocation definitely hits home.

One French based Carmel is right across the street from the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe, where over 100,000 people gather there on her feast day. There's a group from my parish who [u][b]walk [/b][/u]overnight (at least one did the walk barefoot!) the normally 45 minute drive to arrive to be there by 5 am.
[/quote]
Hola, Chapel Rat! (I'm definitely one of those, by the way, lol) Thanks for your post! :) That's interesting about the difference you felt .. and how you had a hard time putting it into words .. Personally, I like the Spanish Carmels the best .. but at the same time, I love the greater emphasize on solitude in the French Carmels .. so I'm undecided :topsy: Whatever God wants in the end!

You must be talking about the Carmel in Des Plaines, IL here. They are very strict/traditional too .. of the 1990 Constitutions. Have you ever been there for the Latin Mass on First Saturdays? It is beautiful and the nuns sing throughout it (it's been going on for years too, well before the MP in 2007) I know a young woman who entered there this past July .. she must be a Novice by now. That's amazing that some from your parish walk there overnight!! Wow, my goodness .. :cold: .. :saint:

P.S. Ah, I just found an old thread of yours asking about this very thing! [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109195"]http://www.phatmass....howtopic=109195[/url] Sorry no one replied to it! It got lost in Open Mic! I shall send you a PM! :like:

Edited by Chiquitunga

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1291146632' post='2190053']
Hola, Chapel Rat! (I'm definitely one of those, by the way, lol) Thanks for your post! :) That's interesting about the difference you felt .. and how you had a hard time putting it into words .. Personally, I like the Spanish Carmels the best .. but at the same time, I love the greater emphasize on solitude in the French Carmels .. so I'm undecided :topsy: Whatever God wants in the end!

You must be talking about the Carmel in Des Plaines, IL here. They are very strict/traditional too .. of the 1990 Constitutions. Have you ever been there for the Latin Mass on First Saturdays? It is beautiful and the nuns sing throughout it (it's been going on for years too, well before the MP in 2007) I know a young woman who entered there this past July .. she must be a Novice by now. That's amazing that some from your parish walk there overnight!! Wow, my goodness .. :cold: .. :saint:

P.S. Ah, I just found an old thread of yours asking about this very thing! [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109195"]http://www.phatmass....howtopic=109195[/url] Sorry no one replied to it! It got lost in Open Mic! I shall send you a PM! :like:
[/quote]

[hijack]

Okay, seriously... I think the Chicagoland discerners need to get together for tea and crumpets or something. :cheers2::nun3::cake: I think that would be amazing since it seems that there are a growing number of us (or at least I am just now realizing how many of us there are!):like:
[/hijack]

Edited by FutureNunJMJ

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1291148888' post='2190058']
[hijack]

Okay, seriously... I think the Chicagoland discerners need to get together for tea and crumpets or something. :cheers2::nun3::cake: I think that would be amazing since it seems that there are a growing number of us (or at least I am just now realizing how many of us there are!):like:
[/hijack]
[/quote]

:hijack: LOL, Yes!!! for tea and crumpets!! :hehe:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1291149654' post='2190061']
:hijack: LOL, Yes!!! for tea and crumpets!! :hehe:
[/quote]

I just don't know where a good 'mid-point' would be... :idontknow:

Carmelite15,

Maybe if you wanted to, check these out.

[url="http://www.carmelitesofboston.org/"]http://www.carmelitesofboston.org/[/url]

Hey, I don't know these folks well at all, but I don't think they'd make a list of the "Strictest Carmels in the US." But they do wear a habit and take religious names. And I've spent some time in their chapel, which is *Gorgeous.*

And they had a new solemn profession in August.

But really, I'm thinking geography as much as anything. As you're in New York, it'd be comparatively easy to come visit at some point. Not as easy as hopping on a subway to go to Brooklyn, but bus transit between NYC and Boston is easy and cheap. Going to visit Nebraska (which could be a very very good thing to do!) would be an INVESTMENT. This would be easy.

And IMHO, if you're at a stage where you're casting the net around and seeing what strikes you, then I'd think that it could be a grand thing indeed to hit a bunch of those that are easy to get to.

There's another one in the 'burbs. You could hit two on one trip! The one in the suburbs seems to be more traditional -- maybe I'm just thinking that because they don't have a web presence ...

[url="http://www.carmelnuns.com/Association/Danvers.html"]http://www.carmelnuns.com/Association/Danvers.html[/url]

Just a thought ...