An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Is Vee8?

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1297808447' post='2212690']
I never really got to know her though, neither of us even knows the others first name, so I wouldnt know who she is nor she I. [/quote]

You see, in most communities "that new postulant" would be a definite clue.

For THIS one, you still need to narrow the field! Good golly!

MissScripture

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1297808447' post='2212690']
That'd be amesome! Every Carmel and convent needs a couple of phatmassers in my opinion. I never really got to know her though, neither of us even knows the others first name, so I wouldnt know who she is nor she I. If someone ever has an update about her though I hope they share if it's ok.
[/quote]
That's when you walk in and say, "Okay, who here knows what 'Phatmass' is?" :hehe:

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1297828020' post='2212835']
That's when you walk in and say, "Okay, who here knows what 'Phatmass' is?" :hehe:
[/quote]

:lol4:

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1297868976' post='2212946']
+JMJ

And here I though Vee8 was on the shelves at the local supermarket... :crazy:
[/quote]
rotfl

Why would Valpariso say that to you? You seem like a very nice person, I would think they would be happy to have you. They seem very strict and as I learned when I visited a cloistered order, that life is not for me! Do they think they are too strict for you?

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1297893133' post='2213070']
Why would Valpariso say that to you? You seem like a very nice person, I would think they would be happy to have you. They seem very strict and as I learned when I visited a cloistered order, that life is not for me! Do they think they are too strict for you?
[/quote]

ksterling, I believe Valpraiso is full to capacity! They started a foundation in Elysburg, PA which I believe has about 15 sisters at the moment. That's probably why they asked her to check with Elysburg. :)

[quote name='ksterling' timestamp='1297893133' post='2213070']
[/quote]

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1297893533' post='2213074']
ksterling, I believe Valpraiso is full to capacity! They started a foundation in Elysburg, PA which I believe has about 15 sisters at the moment. That's probably why they asked her to check with Elysburg. :)
[/quote]

What Lady of Sorrows said. :) I mentioned in my letter that I was writing to several Carmels including Elysburg, so in the reply they suggested I continue to correspond with that particular community as they are basically the same as Valparaiso. If it had to do with the seemingly strict life she would not have said to keep writing Elysburg. She doesnt come right out and say "we are full" but my money is on that. Carmels have a limit of 21 Sisters per monastery as Teresa of Avila wanted it that way since she intended for each to be like a small family. When the number gets to 21 they ship a bunch off to start a new foundation.

edited to add
So even though Valparaiso started the foundation in Elysburg it seems they are still pretty full and may even (maaaybe) considering another foundation but thats just a guess.

Edited by vee8

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1298040834' post='2213575']
What Lady of Sorrows said. :) I mentioned in my letter that I was writing to several Carmels including Elysburg, so in the reply they suggested I continue to correspond with that particular community as they are basically the same as Valparaiso. If it had to do with the seemingly strict life she would not have said to keep writing Elysburg. She doesnt come right out and say "we are full" but my money is on that. Carmels have a limit of 21 Sisters per monastery as Teresa of Avila wanted it that way since she intended for each to be like a small family. When the number gets to 21 they ship a bunch off to start a new foundation.

edited to add
So even though Valparaiso started the foundation in Elysburg it seems they are still pretty full and may even (maaaybe) considering another foundation but thats just a guess.
[/quote]

Also, they have tons of young vocations -- it's not as if they have a handful in formation and a handful who are elderly and have been in Carmel for fifty-plus years and a bunch at various points in between.

And it doesn't really do to send out a bunch of very very young Sisters to start off a new foundation and fend for themselves, and take in new postulants when they haven't finished formation themselves. They can't keep doing that over and over again. You need a proportion who are more mature in religious life.

I'm sure that at some point Valparaiso will be sending out another foundation as they have more solemnly professed Sisters but in the interim I'm sure lots of very nice and promising vocations will get letters like Vee.

Which just means God has another place for them.

• 4 months later...