An Old School Catholic Message Board

"brides Of Christ"

ksterling

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='In The Arms of The Lord' timestamp='1291399654' post='2190745']
This is very nicely said! :)

I remember at my past place of employment, once everyone seemed to have found out that I was going to become a nun I had many questions asked. Someone asked me why I was doing this, and I said because I am in love with Jesus, I then was asked, "How do you know?" I didn't know how to explain it, and I still don't really know how to, but I just know.

I think the term bride of Christ is a nice way of expressing the consecration to Jesus in the religious life. Some don't like this term, maybe because we all look at it differently? But also each of us has our own relationship with Our Lord and each relationship is different, but we are all called to an intimate relationship with Him. [b]When two people are in love with eachother, there is that mutual desire to give themselves in a way that you don't want to give yourself to another, this will usually lead to the consecration to one another in marriage. I would think that those entering or have entered religious life have that desire to give themselves to Our Lord in a way that they don't want to give themselves to someone else.[/b] This passage where it says, "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh," I have also thought of this in a spiritual sense, where those that enter the religious life will leave everything to give themselves to Our Lord more completely, and with the vows, they become closely united with Him.
[/quote]

This was the determining factor in my discernment. Once in dawned on me in prayer that I [i]couldn't[/i] give myself to another man without, in a very real sense, loving God less.

Honestly, it was that realization alone that put me at peace with my vocation.

In The Arms of The Lord

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1291400383' post='2190747']
This was the determining factor in my discernment. Once in dawned on me in prayer that I [i]couldn't[/i] give myself to another man without, in a very real sense, loving God less.

Honestly, it was that realization alone that put me at peace with my vocation.
[/quote]

You are very right! :)

It is such a conviction that can't be denied. Maybe this is silly, but at some points during my discernment I remember the anxiety I caused myself over the thought, "What if this is my own desire to give myself to Him in the religious life?" That perhaps this is something I desire so much that I wasn't listening to what else He may have been asking; I just didn't want to hear from anyone that this was not for me. This thought came about while I was in the Church waiting for Mass to begin. I remember what really caught my attention during the homily when I heard this said,"you didn't choose me, but I chose you." I just then really thought about that and it calmed me down. This desire certainly doesn't come from the world, and it is not our own. It comes from the One who first loved us.

I was given a CD of Danielle Rose (now sister Rose Therese) and there is a song there (two actually) one titled[i] Pursue me[/i] and the other [i]nothing compares to you[/i]. The second song I mention is nothing less than a love song. Listening to these songs remind me of Christ and I very much want to give Him my heart. I've told this to my SD; I don't want to belong to a man nor to I want to love a man with all of my heart like I love Jesus. In fact, I pray every day that my love for Him grows deeper and stronger.

I fully understand that my spousal relationship with Him cannot resemble that of physical bride however I see myself as His intended spiritual bride. I see myself as taken (by Him) otherwise what is to stop me from dating and getting married and deluding myself in thinking that I can give my all to a man and to Christ? I've actually been told that by my ex and my sister "you can serve God without entering a convent" or "you can be married and have children and serve God" My response always is "but I want to give Him my heart and all that I am" I can't very well do that with a husband and a family.

Brides give all of themselves over to their bridegroom; heart, body and all that they are. In that same way I want to give all of myself to Christ. My body I want to give to Him (not in a sexual way of course) and I can't very well be married and do that, my heart I want to belong to Him and Him alone.

What I am trying to say is that I actually like the reference to "bride of Christ" because I see myself as a future bride of Christ. As a matter of fact, the community I aspire to enter; on final profession one of the responses as part of their vows is "to Jesus, my heart, my all, forever" and that is engraved in the ring that they wear on final profession. I think it depends on how you look at it; for me it's a beautiful imagery that has helped guide my discernment.

At first, I didn't get what it meant by "Bride of Christ," but in prayer I slowly understood it. Yet, I know that my fallen nature would never truly grasp it on this side

We've all heard the expression from people "I married my best friend." In religious life, Jesus is the best friend.

And that's where the spiritual motherhood became more apparent. Let's say I skip lunch, my friends, who are physcially mothers, don't think twice to physically feed me and worry about my physcial nourishment. Whereas if they skip prayer, I don't think twice to pray for them and I worry about their spiritual nourishment.

[quote name='Chapel Rat' timestamp='1291408166' post='2190771']
And that's where the spiritual motherhood became more apparent. Let's say I skip lunch, my friends, who are physically mothers, don't think twice to physically feed me and worry about my physical nourishment. Whereas if they skip prayer, I don't think twice to pray for them and I worry about their spiritual nourishment.

[/quote]

You've got a good point there CR. I think the difficulty in accepting the term "Bride of Christ" might be because of trying to compare it to the physicality of it rather than looking at it in a spiritual way. We must realize that though the spousal relationship of a religious is similar to that of a man and woman it is at the same time VERY dissimilar. Same thing with the spiritual motherhood, while it is similar to the physical motherhood there are also some big differences.

Actually talking about "spiritual motherhood" weirds me out. I'm not sure why.

I mean, when I hear a Sister talk about "well, if I had a family then the majority of my time and love would be focused on them. Which is as it should be. But by forgoing a husband and children of my own, that frees me up to love and serve the whole world" -- I get that. No problem. Clear as crystal. Absolutely beautiful.

When I hear a Sister talk about "spiritual motherhood" somehow my hackles instantly go up. Even though I know it's the same concept.

:crazy:

Our Lady is the spouse of the Holy Spirit. In marriage a person is set apart exclusively for his/her spouse. When you take religious vows, you set yourself apart exclusively for God. So that is where the bridal imagery comes in. Many religious wear wedding rings. Their hearts are undivided, given exclusively to God.

In fact, the original form of consecrated life, consecrated virginity, is explicitly spousal.Vowed religious life is, comparatively speaking, an innovation. While the vows do not explicitly use the language of espousal, it is easy to see how this newer form of consecrated life was naturally imbued with bridal imagery from the original form.

Our civilization is so hyper-sexual, it is sometimes difficult to appreciate the concept of marriage or motherhood apart from its physical aspect.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1291415751' post='2190801']
Actually talking about "spiritual motherhood" weirds me out. I'm not sure why.

I mean, when I hear a Sister talk about "well, if I had a family then the majority of my time and love would be focused on them. Which is as it should be. But by forgoing a husband and children of my own, that frees me up to love and serve the whole world" -- I get that. No problem. Clear as crystal. Absolutely beautiful.

When I hear a Sister talk about "spiritual motherhood" somehow my hackles instantly go up. Even though I know it's the same concept.

:crazy:

[/quote]

Now that I think about it, even the term "spiritual motherhood" in itself does sound like an oxymoron. :think: HB you're right it's similar and dissimilar at the same time.

In the secular sense, elementary education teachers embody and reflect spiritual motherhood, which is why I think a male wanting to be let's say a kindergarten teacher can be difficult to accept for some.
At the heart of the matter it is a mystery and I must admit I don't truly "get it." Why God would call me to even *discern* being a nun (a cloistered to boot)..........is even a bigger mystery to me. :wacko:

My random rambling two cents on spiritual motherhood.

We all had parents or guardians who physically fed us, clothed us, educated us and so on plus a mom who gave birth to us. All of that took a lot of hard work on their behalf. Pain, worry, sleepless nights, tears etc physical motherhood demands all and the same thing goes for being a spiritual mother too, whom we all have as well Im certain. In this life we may know of someone in particular who by their prayers and sufferings we owe much to spiritually, and if we dont think of anyone I guess we find out who they are in the next life but there is at least one person like that for each of us. At the same time we each are responsible spiritually for who knows how many souls. These are our spiritual children who will grow thanks to our prayers, sacrifices, and sufferings. Like physical motherhood this too demands all physically, emotionally, spiritually. Think of all the parents who work so hard, forgoing nice things for themselves so their kids might have better, its same thing spiritually IMO. This is not something we do ourselves either it is through , with, and in God holding nothing back as Christ held nothing back this then bears much fruit. Unlike physical parents who get to see their kids walk, talk, and smile most spiritual parents dont get to see the fruits of their labor until they get to heaven. If most dont get to see the results in this life that means there are some who do and I feel really sorry for anyone who might be my spiritual mother or father and who has the misfortune of meeting me in this life 'cus Im sure they'd ask God for a refund or something!!! She's my (spiritual) kid?!?!?!? Why must you punish me O Lord!!!!! :topsy:

As a religious sister, I find the term "Bride of Christ" difficult as well. However, I think the real reason I have a problem with it has nothing to do with the spousal relationship but with the connotation of the word bride in our modern culture. The word bride evokes for me a lot of images of silly, giddy, girly fun and romance and idealism. To me all of that is really the opposite of a spousal relationship. Religious life is hard. It requires sacrifice, penance, hard work, humility, selflessness, determination, and a love that is willing to go deep into the places where love doesn't exist - both in our souls and in the world. It requires so much more than the image of a wedding dress and flowers. Please know, I am not saying it isn't a valid image. I'm just explaining why I don't like it. I also don't think that sisters who really do love the image of the bride like it because it evokes images of "silly, giddy..." but because for them, those words do express the reality of religious life.

I find myself more attracted to being the spouse of Christ. For me, spouse has a connotation that is more in line with the description of religious life I just gave. It is about the commitment to give oneself to Christ without counting th cost.

I wear a habit but I do not consider it my wedding dress either. First, I consider it to be a witness to others of the relationship with Christ that all people are called to. Second, I would definitely more readily call it armor, than a wedding dress. I mean... this habit does definite battle. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img] I hope that doesn't sound less reverent than it should, because my habit is blessed and I cherish it. It is both a garment that protects me from the evil one and hopefully a garment that guides and reminds others of Christ.

My ring is very much a wedding ring, and it is engraved on the inside of the band with the words, "Ego te sponsabo." To you I am espoused. That is really truly the heart of it all for me. It doesn't matter if you call it bride, spouse, friend, lover... those words really sum it all up.