An Old School Catholic Message Board

Man This Is Depressing!

Don John of Austria

Don John of Austria

I am once agian a CATHOLIC school techer( thats not the depressing part) and I was reading my facaulty handbook to see what had changed in my diocese since my last time teaching in a Catholic school and I found the mission statement of the Catholic Schools in Texas , I read it, and as I did so I grew more and more upset( I don't have the statement with me so I will quote it as closely as I can remember) there were two major issues with it( lots of minor ones) the most glaringwas a line that went something like this:

" In a world of diversity and absolutes, thethe students will develop an appretiation and love for the living organism called Earth,..."

( italics mine)

Now there are three choices here,

1 it is a reallyy bad atempt at a metaphor --- that might be plauseable except there is not a single metaphor in the WHOLE thing( its about 5 paraghraphs), or any other poetic features. I took it to te english teacher and she agreed it was not likely to be a metephor in that context.

2. It is really BAD science--- the earth is not an organism, the Earth is not alive the Earth has organisms on it, the Earth is COmplex , but hte Earth is not an organism. The Earth is a ball of Rock with water on it.

3. Or it is Pantheistic, Giaistic, HERETICAL BS! From the way the statement was Phrased that is how I took it, and I was really upset, by the way so was the English teacher.

The second thing I found disturbing is what wasn't there, there was not a single mention of Catholicism in it! Not once did it say that any part of the Mission was to raise faithful catholics, as a matter of fact except in the phrease Catholic Schools the word Catholic was not used at all.

I was disheartened. As you all know that is not easy to do to me. But this hit realy hard, WHAT ARE THE BISHOPS THINKING/DOING?

Edited by Don John of Austria

hyperdulia again

that makes me wonder if sending the midget to caatholic school will be better than public school

*walks away trying to figure out whether i want ashley to get knocked up at sixteen or to turn into a pantheist*

Tree hugging hippies.

We are to treat the planet good, but a Catholic School not having a Catholic mission is pretty bad....

As *parents* (or soon to be) we could all start a email campaign, they don't need to know who we are, complaining about the mission statment.

Do they have a website? I'll be surfing the web, and see that, and just have to make a comment.

God Bless,

ironmonk

Unfortunately, finding a truly orthodox Catholic school these days is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. :( Now it seems that the best bet for parents is homeschooling if they ever want their children to learn the faith.

Don John of Austria

Well it is the Texas Catholic school Mission Statement so I, I don't know if it would be the Texas Bishops, the Texas Catholic acreditation people( I can't remember their name.

Don John of Austria

well I will say from what I can see My school is orthodox( I am new so i can't swear to it)

Don John of Austria

Catholic schools are overseen by there bishop, there might be,depending on your State some larger acceditation organization, but day to day particularly on matters of Faith it is the bishop of the diocese. In this case, I am not sure how this statement for all of Texas came into being, I a,m looking into that.