An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

JuCa

I just got my Liturgy of the Hours books in the mail today!!!!
Now, I have to figure them out...I have prayed them many times but always have a sister there helping me find my place.

www.universalis.com --online Liturgy of the Hours

good thing to be praying if you are discerning...in my opinion!
:D

FaustinaVianney

I love the Office! Fr Tony got me started on it, but it wasn't to help me with discerning. It was to help us be 'connected' since I am in cinci and he is Haubstadt. We are both very spiritual people and I needed a good friend to be 'connected' with. Not to mention I am connected to the whole Church...how awesome is that?!?

The books can be tough esp in the beginning. The Lenton/Easter Season is also a lot different than the Ordinary time, which makes things even more confusing. They do have little books out so that you know which psalms, etc to do for each days esp for feasts...there are so many feast!

I think the Office is good for everyone to pray, but they are expensive! However, I have great friends that got some of 'em for me. (They do have the Christian Prayer form which is a smaller version and an even smaller one in the Magnificat) Once I started I cannot stop..think about it you are praying the psalms, which consist of every emotion you could possibly have and it's in God's own words! If I don't say one of the Offices I feel incomplete even if I have done other prayers throughout the day...

i love the liturgy of the hours!
the only prob. is finding time to fit it in at a public high school :wacko:
i can't wait till i get to pray it in choir w/ my community!

[quote name='sista2b' date='Apr 21 2004, 11:28 PM'] i love the liturgy of the hours!
the only prob. is finding time to fit it in at a public high school :wacko:
i can't wait till i get to pray it in choir w/ my community! [/quote]
When I was in high school I led a small group who did Morning Prayer just before school started. It was awesome! (I went to a public school). Now I don't do the Divine Office as much, but I know I need to! One of the priests in my favorite order taught me how to use the books, so right after World Youth Day I bought the full set. :)

[quote name='JuCa' date='Apr 22 2004, 12:37 AM'] praying in choir is the best! so so so beautiful! That time with the sisters is like my favorite! [/quote]
I got to pray in the choir stalls with a group of Benedictine Monks. It was amazing!

cmotherofpirl

If you live in the Pittsburgh area, morning prayer from the St Pauls Cathedral is on cable TV.

• 8 months later...

I love the Liturgy of the Hours.

Read my writings on the LOTH on PHatmass, [url="http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=27436"]http://phorum.phatmass.com/index.php?showtopic=27436[/url]

For the person who wasn't sure where we are, we are in Volume III page 827 (Week II, Sunday)

I recommend the St. Joseph's guide. Of course, I get to pray it with Benedictines, so I seldom get lost. ;)

peace...

daugher-of-Mary

I LOVE LOTH...praying it on my own is wonderful, but praying it in choir with the Benedictine Brothers is especially beautiful.

JMJ
1/16 - Second Sunday

One of the benefits of being in Europe is that you get to hear the Office sung BEAUTIFULLY by communities that have been doing it for centuries. For instance, a couple of months ago I got to hear the monks at Monte Cassino (one of Benedict's first monasteries) sing Vespers. Gorgeous.

I love praying the Office as well. However, I am totally lost when I try to do it on my own. I get into the pattern when I visit convents or pray them before Mass at my church, but by myself I don't know where to turn. Can anyone recommend a GOOD comprehensive guide, preferrably online?

Also, I have heard that praying the Office with a Priest allows you to receive a special blessing or indulgence. Does anyone know about this?

Edited by Totus Tuus