An Old School Catholic Message Board

Liturgy Of The Hours

JuCa

Totus,

I have never heard that, but the Pope recently announced indulgences for saying Evening prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

peace...

so, is the Christian Prayer pretty much a condensed version of the 4volume Liturgy of Hours. I think someone told me the only difference is that it doesn't have the office of readings. is this true? and if so, then even if a community uses the Christian Prayer you can still use the 4volume set right along with them?? just wondering...

I think it is condensed. I have the four-volume set at home, but I've only used the condensed version (as I did it with religious communities).

I can't really recommend a guide, per se. However, if you have the four-volume, they are very easy to use. I don't have mine with me right now, but I think I can help you set your ribbons. You probably have five ribbons.

1. Proper of Seasons-right now we are on Tuesday of the Second Week of Ordinary Time
2. Ordinary-instructional section before the psalter. I don't keep a ribbon there, but I recommend it for beginners. It also has the Benedictus and Magnificat there. Until you memorize them, it is nice to have an easy reference point. You might also have a card that came as an insert with them on it.
3. Psalter-four-week cycle that repeats itself over and over again. Right now, we are on Tuesday, Week II.
4. Night Prayer-one-week cycle that repeats itself over and over again. Tuesday, obviously.
5. Proper of Saints-ordered by date. I think the next feast day is January 20. Put your last ribbon right before that date and you are all set. Then, as you pray the hours, just move your ribbons and they will be set up for the next day. After you do it for a couple of weeks, it will be like second nature for you.

Also, read the red parts of the hours, they are called the rubrics. They will help you figure out where to go, especially on feasts, like the feast of St. Agnes which is coming up soon. Finally, I recommend getting a cover. It doesn't have to be expensive, but you can also buy very nice leather ones. They really help keep your set nice.

[quote name='DesiringMore' date='Jan 18 2005, 02:04 PM'] even if a community uses the Christian Prayer you can still use the 4volume set right along with them?? just wondering... [/quote]
Yep, they work fine together. Aome guys at the seminary have the 4 volume, while others have Christian Prayer. We try to announce starting page numbers for both, and as long as we get the right pages, both versions are (pretty much) identical.

Sometimes for the Reading, Christian Prayer will have a longer version of the Scripture passage than the 4 volume. Surprising, since CP is supposed to be a "condensed" version of the 4V.

There is also a "Shorter Christian Prayer" that's thinner than a cheap paperback novel. This one i would not recommend if you're going to pray in community. It eliminates a lot of the special season texts. It is useful, though, if you need to pray the Office alone on a canoeing trip in the Canadian wilderness. Takes up very little space in the backpack.

"O God, come to my assistance..."

[quote name='Totus Tuus' date='Jan 16 2005, 10:20 PM'] Also, I have heard that praying the Office with a Priest allows you to receive a special blessing or indulgence. Does anyone know about this? [/quote]
At the Conclusion of the Office, one would usually end with "May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life."

But if a priest (or deacon) is present, they may end with a standard blessing.
"The Lord be with you." "And also with you."
"May Almighty God bless you..."

It's always a touching moment at the seminary when one of the guys gets ordained to the Transitional Diaconate, and suddenly this guy whom you've been praying with for years is suddenly giving you his blessing.

Thank you so much! This was perfect timing, because I just did it tonight with EWTN on the radio with my four-volume, and the only thing lacking was knowing where to put my ribbons (once I buy them... or hack them from an unused book in my house...).

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Totus tuus,
Lauren <3+

Edited by Totus Tuus

I'm in love with mine! I'm hoping I'm not too attached to it, as it's an 'earthly thing' and all...

Edited by Totus Tuus

ThyWillBeDone

LOTH is awesome, I know it has helped with my prayer life so much. And now it is a major part of my life as a seminarian. We say morning, evening and some times night prayer together as a community. It always a beautiful experiance it is even more so when it Solemn Evening prayer (I.E. we chant or sing it)
God Bless

I love the Office. I've done it in either Latin or English since I was a kid since my family lived right down the road from St. Benedict Abbey...[url="http://www.abbey.org"]St. Benedict Abbey[/url].
I'm not a ribbon person, though. I like to use holy cards. Also, if there is a memory of a saint, some are obligatory and some are optional. If it's just a memory you only need to do the proper parts but you can do the Common's, too. It's best though to do as much of the "weekday" cycle as possible.
You should hear the Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ [url="http://www.op.org/nunsopsummit"]Dominican Nuns [/url]sing the Office. They have a beautiful chapel with Perpetual Adoration and the chanting coming from behind the grille (which is behind the altar) is well, like angels!
:P

Today was the first time I've tried to pray a Sunday in the Office on my own. I was slightly confused because I have the four-volume, which is very continuous, except when you get to Sundays. After Saturday Evening prayer for the Second Sunday in Ordinary Time, you turn the page and find Sunday Evening prayer, so I found Week II for Sunday with the morning prayer, and prayed that. Was that what I was supposed to do? ts would be appreciated, and instructions on what I'm supposed to do on Sundays! God bless :)

Totus tuus,
Lauren

Edited by Totus Tuus

+JMJ+

In the Liturgy of the Hours, the celebration of Sunday actually begins on Saturday evening with the recitation of Evening Prayer I. So yesterday's Evening Prayer was for the Third Sunday of Ordinary Time, found on p.972 in the Psalter with the antiphon for the Canticle of Mary and the closing prayer on p.108 in the Proper of Seasons.

Today's Morning Prayer was found on p.981 of the Psalter with the antiphon for the Canticle of Zechariah and closing prayer on p.112 in the Proper of Seasons.

Tonight's Evening Prayer II for the Third Sunday of Ordinary Time will be on p.992 in the Psalter with the antiphon for the Canticle of Mary on p.113 and the same closing prayer you used for Morning Prayer, which is on p.112.

The Divine Office is so awesome. You pray with the entire Church, using many of the same prayers Jesus said Himself as a devout Jew. It can bring so many blessings for your spiritual life. :)

I used to have the four volume set of the LOTH, but they were destroyed by water damage when I tried to conserve energy and turned off my hot water heater not knowing that the water would go all over since the a water plug was not kept moist and shrank. :sadder:

Not long after that, I slowly drifted from the Catholic Church (this was over 10 years ago) and have not been able to afford to replace them since my return to The Faith. (Guess that makes me a convert.. joining via RCIA in the early 90s who reverted returned to the Church fully about a year ago after straying).

I do have a copy of the "Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary" until I can afford a set of the LOTH. I am really good about doing Morning and Evening prayer, but some of the ones in between (mid morning, mid day and afternoon) I miss. Also, my days are "backwards" because I work from 9 pm to 5:30 am.

Still, I say morning and evening according to the time it actually is (between 7-10 am for Morning prayer and between 6-8 pm for Evening) and the other ones on my schedule. So, I say mid morning during my first break at work (11 pm), noon during my lunch half hour (1 am), mid afternoon during my last break (3 am) and night prayer when I am going to bed (between 10-12 am).

Sometimes I get distracted by co workers and miss my "Little office" prayers.