An Old School Catholic Message Board

Receiving Our Lord At Communion

tinytherese

dominicansoul

I don't think much about my method of eating the Eucharist... hahaha...I just keep my heart focused on Him, and He focuses on me :love:

If I'm playing piano, I let it dissolve because chewing would mess me up. :|
If I'm singing with music ministry, I chew and make my thanksgiving after Mass.
And if I'm at home, I wait until I get back to my seat and do some combination of both. I don't like it when I get the Eucharist stuck in my teeth.

Edited by MissyP89

i actually had to think about this, because i'm not usually conscious of what i'm doing at that moment. i usually chew right away.

There is nothing prohibiting the Blessed Sacrament from being chewed. It is simply a matter of taste. How does one view himself, as one who looks as if he is chewing gum or cud or is he going to allow it to simply dissolve? The choice is up to the individual.

Personally, I never chew. I find that I meditate better on the reception of Holy Communion if I allow it to disolve. It isn't the most pleasant thing to me from a tactile point of view, but I offer it up.

However, the Church has no prohibition on this.

[quote name='Cam42' timestamp='1293641660' post='2194935']
There is nothing prohibiting the Blessed Sacrament from being chewed. It is simply a matter of taste. How does one view himself, as one who looks as if he is chewing gum or cud or is he going to allow it to simply dissolve? The choice is up to the individual.

Personally, I never chew. I find that I meditate better on the reception of Holy Communion if I allow it to disolve. It isn't the most pleasant thing to me from a tactile point of view, but I offer it up.

However, the Church has no prohibition on this.
[/quote]

CAM HAS RETURNED??

BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!!

:dance:

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1293649932' post='2194949']
CAM HAS RETURNED??

BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!!

[/quote]

iawtc

[quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1293649932' post='2194949']
CAM HAS RETURNED??

BEST CHRISTMAS EVER!!!!

[/quote]

I still lurk...but perhaps it really is time to make a return...my self-imposed exile might be over...

Hmm, I "chew" now, but when I was a kid, for some reason, if memory serves correctly, we were instructed to have the Host against our palette and then work it with our tongue. It would dissolve that way.

In recent years, I know that those in RCIA were taught to "chew." But do not know if that is something taught worldwide, etc.

Edited by StMichael

Mark of the Cross

How you consume the accidents belongs to the accidents. How you receive Christ in your soul and mind belongs to the communion with Christ.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1293827939' post='2195524']
How you consume the accidents belongs to the accidents. How you receive Christ in your soul and mind belongs to the communion with Christ.
[/quote]

hmm... nope not a clue what that means

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='jaime (the artist formerly known as hot stuff)' timestamp='1293835831' post='2195563']
hmm... nope not a clue what that means
[/quote]

I'm asking the question of which is a more important consideration, whether you chew or dissolve compared to whether you believe you are consuming Jesus or having other thoughts in mind. Just physically being present at Mass and taking the Eucharist is not enough we must also be there in mind and soul.

I try to let the host dissolve so I can have that personal time with Jesus. When receiving the Blood, I just kinda push the host to the inside of my cheek. Personally, I don't think it matters if you chew or dissolve, as long as you're being respectful and meditative that you are receiving God.
As long as we try our best to acknowledge the beauty of the Eucharist, we can't go wrong in how we receive.
I mean... when we eat something, it nourishes our body, allows our cells to function, helps new cells to grow, travels throughout our whole body, becomes one with us- no matter how we eat it. So, Jesus fulfills us, supports us, gives us life, and becomes as physically close to us as He can.
Beautiful. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/love.gif[/img]

I do both, without really thinking about which one I am doing.
I was told, during First Communion preparation, that we are not supposed to chew Him. But, I'd tell a little kid that, too, even if it were okay. I've seen some kids "chew"-- mouth open and everything.

Livin_the_MASS

I chew because it was a command from Christ to "eat" his flesh. When taking into account John 6 in the greek the word eat changes to gnaw or chew.
"Unless you gnaw/chew the flesh of the Son of Man..."

It was what he wanted. He wanted to become our food and drink to become one with us in a very real manner.

But when I do recieve Jesus I do so with great respect and chew slow.

Although I understand those who let Christ dissolve out of wanting his presence to last longer.

I prefer to chew because it was commanded by Christ to eat.

Pax