An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Movies You've Seen Recently

Sarah147

havok579257

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1311367310' post='2273964']
I think Batman and Potter are too dark for Catholics. It's not something I like to fill my head with and think about.
[/quote]

I would like to know why you feel batman is to dark for catholics? this comment is intruging.

[quote name='Feriku' timestamp='1311091289' post='2270145']
I haven't seen The Dark Knight yet, just Batman Begins. Should I get it? I heard it's intense. xD[/quote]
The Dark Knight is good but primarily because Heath Ledger gives a truly great performance as the Joker. Batman Begins was the better overall movie, in my opinion, although I base that opinion largely on the fact that I prefer the story of Bruce Wayne the man to Bruce Wayne the batman, and Batman Begins was largely about Bruce Wayne the man.

Edited by Era Might

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1311367310' post='2273964']
I think Batman and Potter are too dark for Catholics. It's not something I like to fill my head with and think about.
[/quote]

Evil exists. The battle must be fought between good and evil. Sometimes it's good to reflect on that battle, in appropriate venues. Prudentially, I don't think Batman or Harry Potter fall into a something that is "too dark." There is much, much worse out there... particularly things which don't encompass good themes.

Anyways, everyone has the duty to judge for themselves what is appropriate or inappropriate. I do think such a sweeping statement as saying it "too dark for Catholics" is a little far-fetched.

If a movie is based only on how "dark" it is... then we ought to keep away from [i]The Passion of the Chirst[/i] as well. It is darker and more gruesome than either of these two movies.

SoonerCatholic

Hmm. I enjoyed Batman and Potter. The flaws in HP #8 did bug me, but overall I enjoyed the movie enough that I would watch it again despite the issues.

But recently I just watched [i]Of Gods and Men[/i]. Highly recommended story of French Trappist monks in the midst of terrorism in Algeria.

There are bad ideas contrary to Christianity in the Batman and Potter movies. That's what I look for when saying it is bad or too dark.

But this is getting way off topic from this thread, so I'll refer to my post here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109848&view=findpost&p=2192439"]Here[/url]

Edited by JoyfulLife

I saw some of the Proposal on TV the other day. It was quite amusing, apart from the naked scene and some other stuff.

Adjustment Bureau -- apart from the quiet swearing and the extra-marital bed scene, it was quite interesting.

havok579257

[quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1311614498' post='2275675']
There are bad ideas contrary to Christianity in the Batman and Potter movies. That's what I look for when saying it is bad or too dark.

But this is getting way off topic from this thread, so I'll refer to my post here:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109848&view=findpost&p=2192439"]Here[/url]
[/quote]

but there are bad ideas contrary to catholicism in almost every movie. even amovie which the vatican praises has bad ideas contrary to catholisism. i speak of the wizard of oz. it has a bad witch and a good witch in it and yet the vatican recognizes it as one of the top 45 great films.

would you say the wizard of oz is to dark?

Just got back from Harry Potter. It is interesting to see the differences between the movie and the book. Too bad they didn't show the elves blasting out of the kitchen to aid in the fighting.

DemonSlayer

Captain America: The First Avenger was pretty good, I couldn't notice the 3D for the most part though, they probably just converted the film to 3D to increase profits because it added absolutely nothing to it.

[quote name='Faith 1st' timestamp='1311627755' post='2275854']
I saw Friends with Benefits the other day.... has anyone else seen it?
[/quote]

I saw the commercial and I see nothing wholesome and Christian about the theme.

[quote name='havok579257' timestamp='1311695340' post='2276218']
but there are bad ideas contrary to catholicism in almost every movie. even amovie which the vatican praises has bad ideas contrary to catholisism. i speak of the wizard of oz. it has a bad witch and a good witch in it and yet the vatican recognizes it as one of the top 45 great films.

would you say the wizard of oz is to dark?
[/quote]

Where does it say the Vatican rates it that?

The Characters have good qualities and help each other. I don't really see it as condoning witchcraft. The witch is the "bad" guy in the movie, but you don't see them all playing with witchcraft like Harry Potter. Potter teaches bad values and is far from colorful, light and fluffy like Oz. I refer to this post: [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=109848&view=findpost&p=2192439"]here[/url]. But personally, I never much cared for Oz; that's just me.

This is getting way off topic though.