An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is There A Lack Of Information

LaPetiteSoeur

franciscanheart

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' timestamp='1295641387' post='2202614']
Really? Is it just the two about Secular Institutes & Societies of Apostolic Life?
[/quote]
Those are the only two I noticed not linking properly, but then, those are the only two I tried. They don't go anywhere. I didn't look at the source code but I'd guess they just got missed, like they forgot to go back and put in the link.

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='hugheyforlife' timestamp='1295641802' post='2202620']
Those are the only two I noticed not linking properly, but then, those are the only two I tried. They don't go anywhere. I didn't look at the source code but I'd guess they just got missed, like they forgot to go back and put in the link.
[/quote]

What's funny is I just clicked through the Secular Institutes link about 10 minutes prior to your post and it worked just fine!

I can't recall who the diocese is,will post the link if I remember, but i think it is either Peoria, or some place in Indiana.
Anyhow,they list the different communities of men and women in their diocese.They have photos of the different communities of sisters in their diocese if available, and tell a little something about them,like the Handmaids of the Precious Blood, etc.

While surfing around I too have seen where many diocese really don't have anthing on the communities of sisters serving there.
Shame really, as there is a need for sisters too.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' timestamp='1295627838' post='2202524']
And a secular priest at that. I had a friend who was discerning the priesthood, but he didn't know if he was being called to the secular or religious priesthood. All of the diocesan priests he met with or spoke to, except one, were really pushing the secular priesthood on him, telling him he really didn't want to be a religious priest, that it would be better to be a diocesan priest, etc.

I am sure it is not like that everywhere, though.
[/quote]

Touche. I think that the vocation directors have become somewhat biased in the way they present vocation opportunities nowadays. It appears to me that if you are not considering or are not eligible for the diocesan priesthood, you are shoved to the back of the line or ignored altogether in favor of those who want to attend the regional seminary. I can understand the reasoning somewhat because of the priest shortage, but, as I've said before, there is an absolute need for all sorts of consecrated vocations--priesthood, religious, and otherwise. I think there should be separate vocation directors for each part of consecrated life. We have some Sisters in our diocese and it would be wonderful if the diocese would establish a liaison for religious vocations as well instead of pointing them to a religious community that they are not interested in, which is what happened to me. I believe that if there was a better effort in each diocese to promote vocations of all kinds, the Church would have less of the crisis that it is currently experiencing. I know some people in my Young Adult group who have discerned as well, and they have experienced the same difficulties I have because no one knows anything about spiritual direction or how to assist those who are looking for communities, except the ones in our diocese, which is a very small number. :(

I found it frustrating when I first started discerning (back in like 1996). I remember my spiritual director saying "call the vocation director for the diocese for some suggestions" and he never called back (I now understand why).

Fast forward to like 3 years later -- the archdiocese decided to do a "day of reflection for those women discerning a call to religious life" (I think it was just for women ... its been so long). The talks were done by the Cardinal. I was impressed.

Soon after that they formed an ongoing women vocation discernment group. Don't know if it still exists.

Also -- I know other diocese have tried forming discernment houses for women, and discernment houses for men.

I agree -- I do wish that more recognition is given to the need for women (and men) in religious life. There's little mention out there sometimes, and I get annoyed when I hear the prayer for an "increase in vocations to the priesthood" but *no* prayer for an increase in vocations to religious life.

In my (maybe not so humble) opinion, a more general prayer intention where the prayer is more for all to discern their service to the Lord, be it to a specific calling like the priesthood or religious life, or to committed service as a layperson is needed. We need more religious and priests (and of course holy marriages), but we definitely need the laity to stop sitting in the pews and to start to commit their time and talents to the Church in service to God and to the community.

(Note I realize that there are many lay persons out there that *do* commit their time, talents, and money to the Church, and that there are instances where the laity is not encouraged to serve, and that there are valid circumstances where people cannot give of their time or talents. I'm talking about those who can serve but have been so accustomed to simply sitting in the pews that they do not. We need to look for new ways to encourage service. But -- I digress :) ).

franciscanheart

I guess I consider myself fortunate (?) to be part of a parish that daily prays for "an increase in vocations to the priesthood and religious life, especially from our parish families", though I didn't know it before today! I still wish there was more. I've been talking with some parent-friends of mine about the need for this kind of talk in our youth group and my desire to see that program grow and flourish. I know it CAN, it just WON'T without our prayer and dedication. I truly believe we could see more vocations from our parish if our youth program was stronger!

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1295652430' post='2202707']
I found it frustrating when I first started discerning (back in like 1996). I remember my spiritual director saying "call the vocation director for the diocese for some suggestions" and he never called back (I now understand why).

Fast forward to like 3 years later -- the archdiocese decided to do a "day of reflection for those women discerning a call to religious life" (I think it was just for women ... its been so long). The talks were done by the Cardinal. I was impressed.

Soon after that they formed an ongoing women vocation discernment group. Don't know if it still exists.

Also -- I know other diocese have tried forming discernment houses for women, and discernment houses for men.

I agree -- I do wish that more recognition is given to the need for women (and men) in religious life. There's little mention out there sometimes, and I get annoyed when I hear the prayer for an "increase in vocations to the priesthood" but *no* prayer for an increase in vocations to religious life.

In my (maybe not so humble) opinion, a more general prayer intention where the prayer is more for all to discern their service to the Lord, be it to a specific calling like the priesthood or religious life, or to committed service as a layperson is needed. We need more religious and priests (and of course holy marriages), but we definitely need the laity to stop sitting in the pews and to start to commit their time and talents to the Church in service to God and to the community.

(Note I realize that there are many lay persons out there that *do* commit their time, talents, and money to the Church, and that there are instances where the laity is not encouraged to serve, and that there are valid circumstances where people cannot give of their time or talents. I'm talking about those who can serve but have been so accustomed to simply sitting in the pews that they do not. We need to look for new ways to encourage service. But -- I digress :) ).
[/quote]

I'm fortunate to belong to a parish that includes the prayer in every Mass for more vocations to the priesthood AND religious life, but they don't make much of an effort for supporting the latter. When I was discerning last year, I considered starting a discernment group in our diocese, but I never tried because I ended up forgetting a pursuit of a vocation a few months later. It would be wonderful if someone would start one--someone who WAS discerning. :)

I agree with all of you. This is my diocese's website about vocations [url="http://www.dol-in.org/Offices-and-Ministries/Vocations.aspx"]http://www.dol-in.org/Offices-and-Ministries/Vocations.aspx[/url]
They also have a (very cool) website for men discerning the priesthood- [url="http://www.priestforever.org/"]http://www.priestforever.org/[/url] ...Which is awesome, but there is literally nothing for women discerners. I started discerning by google searching "religious sisters" and shortly after found phatmass. VS has already introduced me to new communities, encouraged me to find a SD, and showed me that I'm not alone in discerning the religious life. I think I might try to talk to the priest and see if we can at least include something on our campus website.

LaPetiteSoeur

I'd also gone to a Discernment Day last June. It was a very nice day retreat, and I wasn't even the youngest there! There was a guy my age discerning the priesthood. Other than that, there were five other men and one woman. And me.

They had one of "Iggy's Sisters," a Sister of Christian Charity there who was really nice and fun to talk to. The three of us got to watch the "Vocations to the REligious life" video that the Knights of Columbus did a while ago. Weirdest thing was that I knew of half of the individual sisters in the video! Part of it was filmed in my diocese ::clapping:

The two priests there were very nice, and they tried to help me and the other woman feel comfortable about religious life. It's hard, though, when they had so few resources. It was wonderful having Sr. MRM there.

The only official list of the religious orders in my diocese is in the super-secret-contact-book which is housed in parish offices. The only reason I got to see it is because I work at the church! And the list was so long there were orders I didn't even know existed on the list. Oy.

For such a young and small diocese, we have a discernment house for men.

I guess for now, until more of an interest is placed on women's vocations, that we future sisters/nuns will have to hang out here on VS. :nunpray:

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1295885234' post='2203791']
there's only one link everybody needs to know:

www.sistersofmary.org

:love:
[/quote]

:sleep3:

Edited by vee8

LaPetiteSoeur

www.sistersofmary.org

[/quote]

You're forgetting....

[url="http://nashvilledominican.org/"]http://nashvilledominican.org/[/url]

silly ds. :boink:

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Hmmm... starting a Discernment Group for Women would be awesome. It would have to be an area wide thing (as I don't know any other women in my parish discerning religious life), but that is an awesome idea! I think I'll have to speak with some associates of mine that work for the Church...

franciscanheart

www.sistersofmary.org

[/quote]
cute. but really we all know it's http://franciscansisterscfr.com/ :love: