An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Acts Of Catholicism?

Mickey's_Girl

Mickey's_Girl

So, as you are in your journey toward the Church (or have managed to arrive), did you have moments where you found yourself inexplicably doing something "Catholic"?

I have two: a couple of years ago, I felt the very strong impression that I *needed* to have a crucifix. Not a cross; a crucifix. I tried to ignore it, and it wouldn't go away. I finally had to ask my mom where I could get one (being non-Catholic, I had no idea). This actually was when we had the "what would you do if I became Catholic" conversation. In any case, she behaved admirably, and told me.

I brought it home, and both my parents were beautifully supportive. The admired the one I had chosen, and my dad said, "I should get some to put up in the house." He didn't, but I think he would, because he mentioned it again a few weeks ago.

The other: I'd been pondering the idea of the Real Presence for some time, and had come to believe that it indeed could be true. When I went to Easter Vigil with Sojourner, I was very moved by the Eucharist. When I was driving home the next day, I realized with a shock that I did, indeed, believe it was true! Whew!

Random acts of Catholicism.

MG

homeschoolmom

I had days when I wished I had been raised Catholic so that I didn't have to think about it anymore-- and that was when I didn't even want to be Catholic. I also started liking Christian music with Catholic themes...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='dUSt' date='Apr 21 2004, 03:55 PM'] Every time someone sneezes I'll say "God bless you". That's intercessionary prayer. lol [/quote]
but it's not Catholic... Protestants pray for each other, too... :lol:

I had a couple of moments like that which I recognized in retrospect, but didn't really get at the time ...

Like, I can remember once in high school getting frustrated about the fact that doctrines are so different from church to church. I said to my dad, "Why don't we just all have a council like they used to have to work things out? Why can't we all come together and speak in one voice?"

He gave some answer that I don't remember, but when I started reading up on Catholicism, I had kind of an "aha" moment when I started thinking through the authority of the church.

My first peculiarly Catholic moment was the first time I prayed a Hail Mary. It was before an English test my freshman year in college. Immediately I felt more at ease, and let me tell you, I'd felt stressed earlier! You'd have felt that way too if you'd had a class taught by Dr. Mary Wilder, aka "Bloody Mary." Btw, I got a B on the test. :D

Edited by Dave

Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

When I started going to daily Eucharistic Adoration, daily Mass, and praying the Rosary daily...I was pretty sure that I was in Love with Christ and His Church.

pax et Agape per Maria, Andy

I had the most amazing thing happen to me when I was thinking about whether I should make the committment this year.

I received an email from a friend who knew nothing about this and completely unrelated to anything else in the email, she said 'something tells me this is going to be a really special year for you.'
The same day, a colleague and I were talking about work stuff when she suddenly said 'I don't know why I'm saying this but I feel I should tell you this is going to be a really special year for you'!
I nearly fainted, but then thought later, 'OK God I get the message' when I went into my local fish and chip shop, and the owner, with whom I have never discussed anything personal suddenly said 'here you must have this' and passed me a large bottle of Holy Water!!! I felt I was being showered in God's blessing! :D

homeschoolmom

Wow... I guess God couldn't be any clearer unless he sent you an email or something! That's really cool...

I woke up one morning with the words, "Don't delay the inevitable" running through my head.

It was wonderful HSMom! :D In fact just typing the story, I had a huge grin on my face, remembering.....

It's even more amazing when you think how reserved we are in the UK! ;)

• 1 year later...
MichaelFilo

I'm a cradle Catholic, but, the funniest thing (and possibly the best) was that one morning when I had very little understanding about the Church, or the Faith. I woke up, and said, "Mother, I'm going to be a priest". Very random. Who knew it'd be my calling.

God bless,
Mikey

Hey, thanks for bumping this topic with your addition. And cool beans on the vocation! You'll be great. From what I've seen here, I'd want you as my SD if I could. :)

I'll have to think about my random acts of Catholicism.

I was raised Catholic, but when I was 15, I fell away for a time and went to an Evangelical Protestant church. I was still attending a Catholic church because it was my mom's and she made me(good thing ;) ) and I went on a retreat with the youth group. On the way home, the chaperone told me he "saw great things in my future....and maybe I was going to be a nun." I hadn't even thought about that ever, even when I had considered myself Catholic. And then a few months later I first felt the call. The guy had moved away, but he came back for a visit not long after that and I walked up to him after Mass and said, "I think I'm going to be a nun.", and he said, "I know, I've been praying for you."

So....that's kind of my random moment. :D

I find that I often cross myself when I pass a Catholic church in my car....but only when I am alone. Never knew why, now I'm just afraid to admit it.