An Old School Catholic Message Board

Ghandi A Saint?

Paladin D

I have a Catholic saint book which is labeled "ALL SAINTS: Daily Reflections on Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses For Our Time".

Anyways, this book features Ghandi as a Saint, why? How do we know for sure, if he's in Heaven?

I'm just confused on this issue. Are there others who were not Christian, but are also labeled Saints?

Winchester

Ghandi has not been canonized. Nor will he ever be, I feel safe saying. I am guessing he's under the "witnesses" category.

Further, "prophets" must be a loose term, since there were no prophets after Jesus.

Why do some people still claim the gift of prophecy? Why did St. Paul write about the gift of prophecy, if it was obsolete?

Regarding Catholic books, it is sometimes helpful to look inside the front cover to see if it has the "stamp of approval" of the Catholic Church...

A "nihil obstat" (The Latin words nihil obstat, meaning "there is nothing to be objected to" are used by the Roman Catholic censor when reviewing a book or movie.) may be found inside the front cover, and/or

An "imprimatur" (Imprimatur is Latin for "let it be printed." When a Roman Catholic bishop grants his imprimatur to a printed work, he assures the reader that nothing therein is contrary to Catholic faith or morals.)

When considering purchasing a book about Catholicism, it may be helpful to first look inside the front pages to see if it bears a nihil obstat and/or imprimatur.

One time my parish had a reading club and (I forget the title and author) but the book began by citing two noteworthy saints and witnesses of our time: Mother Teresa and Janis Joplin! har har...Somehow, I doubt that book had a nihil obstat or imprimatur... :wacko:

So, no, Ghandi isn't a canonized Catholic saint. He wasn't even Christian! Where he is spending eternity, we cannot say...God only knows!

Pax Christi. <><

Winchester

Some may prophesy(due to special revelation), but there are no more prophets. I'm pretty sure I learned this in high school.

A) I've seen this advertised on newadvent.org

B) I see no stamp of approval or anything on it.

C) It's by Robert Ellsberg.

Edited by Paladin D

Saint Robert Ellsberg, or Prophet Robert Ellsberg? :wacko:

Ok, time for me to say nighty night...

Nighty Night! happy.gif

Edited by Anna

Chrysologus

Obviously Ghandi isn't canonized, but I can see why he would appear in a book of saints. There's nothing wrong with that. We don't know that he's in heaven with the certitude of faith, but I think that a lot of good Christians believe that he is. As one Catholic once said of him, "He didn't talk the talk, but he walked the walk."

Also, there are lots of good Catholic books that don't have Nihil Obstats and Imprimaturs.

It's true Hyper, that some bishops of late have been quite lax in putting the Church's stamp of approval on questionable materials, but I haven't heard anything about the Church abolishing the nihil obstat and imprimatur...It is supposed to be a method whereby the Church's teachings are safeguarded, which is one of the bishops' responsibilities.

And true, many good books out there don't have nihil obstats and imprimaturs, but if your book doesn't and you come across something questionable, at least you know that the Church hasn't necessarily given this approval.

Don John of Austria

artical or no I haven't heard any credible reports of Their discontinuance. As for Gandi his beliefs where in opposition to Catholic and CVhristian( at largeZ)A teachings I Hope His ginuine desire for Goodness Got him to Purgation but his inclusion in A saint book is offensive!

ryanmeyersmusic

actually, when we're baptized we're baptized "priest, prophet, and king" as is our inheritence in Christ...

ryanmeyersmusic

Ghandi when asked why he adamantly rejected notions of his conversion to Christianity -> "Oh, I don't reject your Christ. I love your Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike your Christ."

The nihil obstat and imprimatur are still used in every Diocese in the World. It is strictly voluntary. Read the front of Monifcat or One Bread One Body. I'll go check the link that defines both, but their is still room for some controversial opinion in something that gets int nihil obstat and impimatur.

Gahndi is not a Saint, per se. Like a cannonized Saint of the Church. In a sense, we are all saints of the Church. Just like we are all priests and prophets. Prophets don't neccesarily mean prophecyeing the future. It mostly means testifying to God's will, which we are alled called to do. We don't have prophets with new revealation, but current day prophets would be witnessing what God has already revealed.

God Conquers

Pope John Paul II is a prophet AND a Saint.

Ghandi, although he can't be canonized formally, was a good man, and followed Truth as he knew it, according to the will of God, as he knew it. He was also very positive about Christianity.