An Old School Catholic Message Board

Youth Ministry

Isaac77

Okay, so I'm looking for some pointers here. Even the ones you may think are obvious or redundant. Everything helps. I've been feeling the call more and more lately to become involved in some form of youth ministry. Especially since I recently made the transition from secular to Christian hip hop. Anyway, it appears as if God has opened a door for me. I will be performing at 2 Youth Spectaculars in April of this year. I'm really excited to share my music and God's message in the form of my experience. I've got to give a 15 minute talk before my set talking about what I've been through, where I'm at, and where I'm going. This should be easy content-wise since I went through 16 years of drug addiction, homelessness, and criminal activity. In actuality, I've never really given a talk before, but I'm sure God will help me work this out. Alright, so basically what I'm asking for here is any sort of tips for working with youth. I encourage anybody that has been involved in this sort of ministry, past or present, to share their 2 cents. I'm excited to be part of the Youth Spectacular and I'm truly praying it leads to more ways to serve. I thank you all in advance for any advice or help offered. God bless!!

[quote name='tinytherese' timestamp='1297880058' post='2213009']
I recommend talking with Lil Red, Brother Adam, Sirklawd, and Raphael. They've all had experience in youth ministry.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll try to reach out to them!

let_go_let_God

When working on your talk take a look at the theme for the day, age range of kids and how you can bring them closer to Jesus. Have something "written" out and practiced before you get on stage. It's a great experience when you see God steering a talk into a different direction than you planned, but to have nothing planned before getting up in front of kids is definitely not wise. Also if you know any of the other presenters that will be there that day take a chance to talk to them and see what they may be talking about. This may give both of you a chance to run with some sort of theme that the kids will see throughout the day.

I'm sure I will have more later but I hope this is a start.

God bless,
LGLG

[quote name='let_go_let_God' timestamp='1297958369' post='2213290']
When working on your talk take a look at the theme for the day, age range of kids and how you can bring them closer to Jesus. Have something "written" out and practiced before you get on stage. It's a great experience when you see God steering a talk into a different direction than you planned, but to have nothing planned before getting up in front of kids is definitely not wise. Also if you know any of the other presenters that will be there that day take a chance to talk to them and see what they may be talking about. This may give both of you a chance to run with some sort of theme that the kids will see throughout the day.

I'm sure I will have more later but I hope this is a start.

God bless,
LGLG
[/quote]

Thank you soooo much! These are some very helpful suggestions!!

Hey! I'm glad to hear you're contemplating youth ministry and seeking it out! I'm a youth myself, 18 yrs old, and I've been to alot of youth conferences, and worked with other youth groups as well. Plus, I'm going to college next year for Catechetics with a concentration in youth ministry, so i'm pumped that you're looking into this! The biggest suggestion I can give is to pray to the Holy Spirit before everything you do. I'm sure the teens will be fascinated : )

[quote name='Isaac77' timestamp='1297878777' post='2212996']
Okay, so I'm looking for some pointers here. Even the ones you may think are obvious or redundant. Everything helps. I've been feeling the call more and more lately to become involved in some form of youth ministry. Especially since I recently made the transition from secular to Christian hip hop. Anyway, it appears as if God has opened a door for me. I will be performing at 2 Youth Spectaculars in April of this year. I'm really excited to share my music and God's message in the form of my experience. I've got to give a 15 minute talk before my set talking about what I've been through, where I'm at, and where I'm going. This should be easy content-wise since I went through 16 years of drug addiction, homelessness, and criminal activity. In actuality, I've never really given a talk before, but I'm sure God will help me work this out. Alright, so basically what I'm asking for here is any sort of tips for working with youth. I encourage anybody that has been involved in this sort of ministry, past or present, to share their 2 cents. I'm excited to be part of the Youth Spectacular and I'm truly praying it leads to more ways to serve. I thank you all in advance for any advice or help offered. God bless!!
[/quote]
don't just 'wing' it. study - the Bible and the Catechism are a great place to start. don't just rely on your testimony, but truly bring the Catholic faith into it. and pray. pray. pray. particularly in front of the Blessed Sacrament, if you are able.

God bless.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1297976661' post='2213372']
don't just 'wing' it. study - the Bible and the Catechism are a great place to start. don't just rely on your testimony, but truly bring the Catholic faith into it. and pray. pray. pray. particularly in front of the Blessed Sacrament, if you are able.

God bless.
[/quote]

Sound advice. Thank you :)

You're definitely on the right path. When I worked with teens, the four things that helped me the most were (1) praying about it beforehand, (2) being completely honest with them - that doesn't mean telling them everything - but if I had to hold something back, I would admit it and explain why, (3) staying true to the teachings of the church, and (4) getting feedback from them - sometimes immediately.

When I didn't know what to say, I would ask the Holy Spirit to give me words. If no words came, I took that as a sign to keep my mouth shut and let them speak.

Good luck!

[quote name='tgoldson' timestamp='1297979718' post='2213390']
You're definitely on the right path. When I worked with teens, the four things that helped me the most were (1) praying about it beforehand, (2) being completely honest with them - that doesn't mean telling them everything - but if I had to hold something back, I would admit it and explain why, (3) staying true to the teachings of the church, and (4) getting feedback from them - sometimes immediately.

When I didn't know what to say, I would ask the Holy Spirit to give me words. If no words came, I took that as a sign to keep my mouth shut and let them speak.

Good luck!
[/quote]

Thanks soooo much to everyone that has been contributing to this thread. Your insights and suggestions are of tremendous value :)