An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missal Recommendations

jessinoelw

What missals do you all recommend? What do you like about the ones you recommend? I'd like links to see the missal as well. Thanks!

--Jessica

cmotherofpirl

We don't use missals in our church. We all know the responses by heart. We have hymn books for the songs.

I think its awful some church's don't carry missels, I mean what if a new person to the Catholic Faith comes in, its hard to follow along for some without, I think Parishes need to accomadate missels for this reason. I know when I joined the Catholic Church I used a missel provided and it helped A LOT.... infact it still helps me, I can't remember the Nicenes Creed entirely by heart, so I use a missel.

So yah, if my Church stopped offeirng missels, I would donate a huge check to the church to buy some. I also like to follow along as the gospel is read, I understand it better than just verbally.

cmotherofpirl

There are missials in the Church, nobody uses them. They are only necessary until you learn the responses.

littleflower+JMJ

i know all the responses but i think its cool if from time to time you read along, so one can better concentrate on what exactly their saying...one time i used the missal and it helped me out alot cuz things pass you if your not listening ya know?

and i agree with adam, if you don't know what to say you need a missal,

jessica is a convert thats why she asked, because it is hard when theirs so many responses to say.....

i think we have a missalette (sp?) thread somewhere i'll try to find it.....

i think though you can find one in any catholic store or even at the parish rectory, many times they'll give one to you if you ask them...

I know all the responses and we have missalettes at church, but I'd like to own one for myself. To look at the readings ahead of time, etc.

--Jessica

CrusaderDude777

La Salette Shrine in Attleboro Mass. I know has a large variety of books and Bibles and missals. They can be reached at http://lasalette.shrine.tripod.com/. I can also recommend www.traditionalcatholicgoods.com www.catholicfreebies.com and http://JustCatholic.com for stuff. Now, i don't stand by a ganrentee for Missal Selection for I use my Grandmothers old one in Latin because everything in Latin just be cooler. I hope I helped.

I suscribe to Magnificat. It's a missal and more. I can send one to you so you can follow allong for the standard part of the Mass. If you like it, you can suscribe and have the daily readings, liturgy of the hours, etc.

I was posting the Sunday readings and a reflection earlier in the wee, but nobody seemed interested.