An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing A Religious Community

Pax_et bonum

I've never had to write to a community before without having filled out a form and them emailing me first. I never even wrote to my first community at all. What kinds of things do they want to know from the first letter? What has been your experience with writing especially using snail mail?

I'd like to write to the Poor Clares in Kokomo, IN. They don't have a phone number listed on their website, only their address.

AllForYourGlory

Mother Mariam is wonderful. Sr. Bernedette is the extern with the community and will most likely be the one to pick up the phone. I would just call and see what Sr. Bernedette tells you to do. God Bless you and let me know if you have any questions about them. I have been going to daily mass at the monistary for the past 10 years.

God Bless you

Studiumecclesiae

I've always first written about myself, my spiritual background (a convert or not?), how long I have been discerning, why I like the Order, the Spirituality, my relationship with God. It can show, in letters, if somebody is wordly or if he is drawn to God. It gives an idea of the person, the handwriting as well. A letter is very personal, you open yourself to the Superior, so you can't just write to each and every convent.

That's my own experience..:blush:

FutureSister2009

I'm glad I found this thread because I'm considering writing to one soon and I wasn't too sure what to say either!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

+JMJ

I just introduced myself, gave a little historical (how old, where I'm from, what I'm doing now, a little about my family, etc.) and vocational background (including how I found out about them) and explained I was interested in learning more about their community/possibly coming to visit as well.

It really isn't a difficult thing to write. It is very simple, short, and to the point!

As for continuing correspondence with a community, I always like to share things that are happening and also the joys of my life. I always recommend others to their prayers in letters as well. I write as if I am writing a friend I haven't seen in a long time. Sometimes there are questions that pop up and this is an excellent place to put them.

[quote name='Studiumecclesiae' timestamp='1298894246' post='2216398']
It gives an idea of the person, the handwriting as well.
[/quote]

:o

I hope no convent is actually doing handwriting analysis to screen applicants ;)

I actually somewhat freaked myself out about that possibility, as I have, at times, illegible handwriting. So I usually just type. It's easier for both parties involved, I think, and it helps them focus better on what the actual content is rather than wondering if that's an "e" or "g" :bible: :nunpray:

Studiumecclesiae

I think it is very impersonal to type a letter and it can give the community the idea that you are too keen on computers and can't even write a letter without one. A childish handwriting can show somnebody's innocence or immaturity just like a square handwriting somebody's harshness or sense of order. A messy handwriting can show that the person wasn't feeling well when writing it, for example.
I always take time when I write, trying to write as best as I can. The nuns know perfectly it takes time, and you won't just type letters when you are in the community.

I would say, it depends... because the Religious Victims of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (in France), a traditionalistic Order, just like the Tyburn Nuns in UK wrote to me letters that were typed. Very surprising, but I prefer the old ways. I love appreciating handwritings, recognising them... you straight know from the envelope who wrote to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Pax_et bonum

Thanks for all the replies! They helped a lot! I have my letter written, and I just have to check with my parents to make sure they're going to let me visit before I send it off!
(I haven't had much access to a computer lately that's why I'm thanking ya'll so late. Thanks again!) :nun:

• 3 weeks later...
FutureSister2009

I just wrote to another Sister in my Order. I hope I didn't sound too lame. I'm praying I'll get a reply soon! I'll let everyone know what happens!

InPersonaChriste

I wrote a basic introduction of myself. How long I have been discerning and what I think of the orders charism. I added how I love the Lord, and my age.
Basically pray before you write and write it a couple of times. I am a perfectionist so i had to write mine 5 times before I was satistfied with my grammar, language use, and handwriting...

Best of luck!

Happy April geniuses

In Persona Christ
IPC

Studiumecclesiae

I kind oven do "calligraphy" when I write a letter. With da "PAX" at da top, da date out Latin (Feria Secunda monday example) Andy liturgical time. da normal date, Andy then " Amo Dominum" like Elisabeth oven da Trinity did on each Andy every letter. At da end, I put a Latin phrase.
Writing letters with different colours, a different handwriting depending on what I mean say, isn't da reflection oven my own personality.
Anybody could pretend be me by typing a text, but my handwriting shows my personality.
There's nothing better than a nice letter Bono can hug, a lovely handwriting Bono straight recognize by seeing da envelope. :priest:

Basically they want your "discernment biography." Include about your baptism/communion/confirmation dates. How you feel about the faith. When you began feeling called and began discerning. What you are doing with your life. Why you like their community. What you think of their charism, apostolate, etc. How you learned about them, etc.