An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest Adoptions?

Philippe

There have been cases where priests have become legal guardians for children, but they are the exception and are under unusual circumstances.

[quote name='Dave' date='Apr 22 2004, 05:41 PM'] Wasn't there a priest in the Archdiocese of Chicago around the time of Cardinal Cody who adopted 3 (?) boys? [/quote]
Yes, it was Fr. George Clements of Holy Angels Parish. Fr. Mike Pfleger of St. Sabina also has adopted at least one child that I am aware of.

ya i was thinkin if a priest adopted a child it would be hard to raise because there is so much in the daily life of a priest... if i become a priest im gettin a dog fo sho so im not so lonely :P

I have heard of situations where a priest has become the guardian of a family member, I do know that a priest could not adopt a child without the permission of his bishop.

I am sure that a Religious priest (one who belongs to an order) would not be able to adopt a child, but a diocesan priest with his Bishop's permission would.

On a side note, I know a guy who adopted a young boy from Columbia before he became a priest, and when he turned 18, that man went to the Seminary. He is now preparing for ordination in the Diocese of Santa Fe.

ilovechrist

[quote name='willguy' date='Apr 22 2004, 09:19 AM'] pets yes. Kids no. [/quote]
simple answers.. i like

but it is possible for them, with permission, to adopt kids, as long as the bishop watches over the situation..

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I once read a book in which a priest adopted 3 children from the Phillipines. I can't think of the name, but I will post it when I think of it.

Anna Z.

that at least used to be allowed. is it still? that is the question.

i think that'd be pretty cool :cool:

used to be a preist at my parish who adopted. I'm not sure what the circumstances were, but now the child's all grown up and has a family of his own.

morostheos

I've read books before where monasteries and nuneries have adopted a few children (usually monasteries had boys and nuneries girls). I don't know of any current occurences of this, but I'm sure it happens occasionally.

THis reminds me of my favorite Catholic movie: Marcelino, Pan y Vino.

It's about some Capuchin francsican friars who take in an abandoned baby and raise him . . . he eventually dies . . . but not before an incredible miracle . . .