An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priest Adoptions?

Philippe

One of the Dominicans at my school has a dog. :)

For some reason I don't think they can adopt children though. Probably has to do with it would be difficult to raise them.

Well, I don't believe they can adopt children either.

Our priest has a Cat, that one of our cats gave birth too!

adopting a child would be the exact oppostite of some of the other implications of celibacy/chastity...though I have also seens priests and religious who have treated their pets like children..hehehe

Wasn't Quasimodo adopted by a priest? This is wierd but my old priest owned a severely overweight terrier named Prince D’Artagnan :huh:

JMJ
4/22 - Second Thursday of Easter

[quote]Fr Pontifex has a dog. He barks.[/quote]

Yeah, he barks at me every time I try to go into the sacristy at the church there in Jasper. Always jumping, yelping, looking at me like he wants me to throw a ball or something....oh, wait, we're talking about the [i]dog[/i]?! ;) j/k

HomeTeamFamily

pio nono i was just about to ask if it was Pontifex who barks of the dog......haha

anyway, im pretty sure the argument against adoption is the same as it as for against marriage.....a priest is someone who has placed God at the very forefront of his life......to put something else that requires the love of the priest in his life would be taking away a piece of the love which a priest has directed toward God

someone plz affirm they know what im talking about lol

my .02

I have heard of very rare situations where a Priest can adopt a child i.e. no one else could care for them. I do not think its unheard of but its not common or reccomended by any means.

crusader1234

My priest has fish. Not that exciting. I think priests shouldnt be able to adopt, not because of chastity or whatever but just because that would be a very bad way to rear a child. Think of it, your dad is who you confess to. You have no mother. That child would have issues up the ying yang.

[quote name='Crusader_4' date='Apr 22 2004, 06:37 PM'] I have heard of very rare situations where a Priest can adopt a child i.e. no one else could care for them. I do not think its unheard of but its not common or reccomended by any means. [/quote]
What about J.R.R. Tolkien? When his mother died, a priest became the guardian of him and his brother.

There have been cases where priests have become legal guardians for children, but they are the exception and are under unusual circumstances.